4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2014 3:32 AM by PhotoHeRo

Import copies from pictures

PhotoHeRo

Hi,

I'm new to LR.  So what I want to do is take one of my folders and import the pictures into LR just to fool around a bit with all kind of settings, to learn LR.

But I still want to have access to the original pictures later on, without these non-significant edits.

I imported the original pictures into LR's database with the 'Add' function, and then copied them again to a different location with the 'Copy' function, with a custom rename. 

But even then I see that, when I edit a picture in the copy folder, the original photo is edited as well, even when they have different names.

So I'm not sure what to do.  I know I can 'reset' a picture to its original situation, but resetting a group of pictures does not seem to be possible?.

Are there other alternatives?

• 1. Re: Import copies from pictures
          dj_paige Level 9

But even then I see that, when I edit a picture in the copy folder, the original photo is edited as well, even when they have different names.

This is incorrect. The image portion of the original photo is NEVER modified by Lightroom. I don't know what you are looking at, but if you look in Lightroom, it will always display the edited image in the Library Module, even though the image portion of the file on disk has not been modified by even one pixel.

• 2. Re: Import copies from pictures
            PhotoHeRo Level 1

Yes, I know that the original photo is not affected, that's the basis of LR!

What I mean is that when I look in Folder A to picture 5, and I look in Folder B to picture 5, they both display the edits that I made in folder B.

I want to be able to edit pictures in folder B without seeing those modifications in folder A.  So that afterwards when I'm done with experimenting, I delete folder B, all edits are gone, and I can begin the serious works with these same pictures in folder A

• 3. Re: Import copies from pictures
              dj_paige Level 9

If the goal is experimenting, why even do it this way? Why try to have two "versions" of the photo in different folders and then struggle with the setup? The much easier way to do this in Lightroom is to import a photo (or use one that has already been imported) and then create a Virtual Copy to experiment on. Then when you are done, delete the virtual copy. This is the way you ought to do this, and is so simple, and your method of using multiple folders is so unclear and complicated that I don't really care to expend my brain power to figure out what you have done with multiple folders. Just do it via virtual copies.

• 4. Re: Import copies from pictures
                PhotoHeRo Level 1

Yes, the virtual copy is the ideal solution to my problem. 

Thanks.

If other readers want to know more: http://photographylife.com/mastering-lightroom-how-to-use-virtual-copies