9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2014 10:56 AM by bcw99

LR5.5 show in explorer not updating

bcw99 Level 1

When I edit an existing file in LR CC 5.5 then "show in explorer", windows explorer doesn't always show the latest edit.I tried exiting then restarting LR and switching between modules like Develop but no change. The edit is a crop so is very obvious!

• 1. Re: LR5.5 show in explorer not updating
          dj_paige Level 9

You cannot view your Lightroom edits in Windows Explorer, as Lightroom does not change the image portion of your files. You need to view your Lightroom edits in Lightroom.

• 2. Re: LR5.5 show in explorer not updating
            bcw99 Level 1

That can't be right surely? I thought LR put the mods in the xmp/sidecar file so when Explorer or Photoshop or whatever opened the image the changes were shown?

• 3. Re: LR5.5 show in explorer not updating
              dj_paige Level 9

By default, no modifications are written to XMP (either in the photo file, or in a sidecar file). You must instruct Lightroom to do so, either by selecting a photo(s) and then Metadata->Save Metadata to File, or turn on the option to automatically write the information.

However ... even if you do this, Windows Explorer will NOT show the edits. Non-Adobe software will NOT show the edits. WILL NOT.

Certain other Adobe applications can display the edits, such a Photoshop or Photoshop Elements or Bridge (if you have the proper versions of the software)

You would be wise to learn to browse your edited photos in Lightroom, rather than trying to browse these edited photos outside of Lightroom, as this won't work.

If you want your edits to be seen in other applications or by Windows Explorer, you must Export the photo.

• 4. Re: LR5.5 show in explorer not updating
                bcw99 Level 1

OK I understand. You may be interested in my workflow. I use LR & Photoshop CC and DAP, a paint effect program. I process my RAW images in LR and usually edit in Photoshop too, ending up with a TIFF file back in LR. I might then do more edits in LR and then wish to use that image in DAP. I tried setting up DAP as my secondary editor in LR but it didn't work. To get my TIFF file into DAP easily, I right click in LR and say show in Explorer. Then I drag from Explorer into DAP.

To get the changes to the file made by LR to 'stick' I set up LR to export to a tiff file in the same folder which I then use in DAP. This just seems clumsy and I end up with an un-needed intermediary tiff file.

So, anyone any ideas on improving on this please?

• 5. Re: LR5.5 show in explorer not updating
                  dj_paige Level 9

If you can't get Edit In to work (and I don't use DAP, so I have no suggestions), then this is the only workflow possible.

• 6. Re: LR5.5 show in explorer not updating
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is DAP?

• 7. Re: LR5.5 show in explorer not updating
                      bcw99 Level 1

Dynamic Auto Paint

• 8. Re: LR5.5 show in explorer not updating
                        ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can't get DAP to open using Explorer - right-click - Open With, either.  It gives an error every time I try.  The only way to get DAP to work for me is to open DAP first, and either use File Open or drag-and-drop to it.

I'd say something is wrong with DAP not LR if Explorer also doesn't work. 

• 9. Re: LR5.5 show in explorer not updating
                          bcw99 Level 1

Yes I agree. An error flashes very briefly saying

MS Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error

Program C:\....DApainter.exe

This app has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way.

I talk to Mediachance (DAP) thanks