6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2014 2:12 PM by A.T. Romano

AVI clip in "Project Assets" not the same as the original file

bdarteman

I have not had any problems with importing .avi files into the program before, but this one has given me fits.  I am taking aerial imagery from a GoPro and removing the fisheye, creating an .avi.  The file is over 7GB and over 8 minutes, but when I bring it into the program it lists it at over 7GB but the clip is only 55 seconds long.  I have deleted and re-edited the original file and still the same issue.  Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: AVI clip in "Project Assets" not the same as the original file
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AVI is a wrapper, what is inside YOUR wrapper - Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 2. Re: AVI clip in "Project Assets" not the same as the original file
            bdarteman Level 1

Whatever the issue was, I reformatted the original video and saved it as a .mov instead and it's working fine now. Thanks for the suggestion for the future though.

• 3. Re: AVI clip in "Project Assets" not the same as the original file
              A.T. Romano Level 7

bdarteman

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

For now, I will assume Premiere Elements 11 or 12/12.1 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

I suspect that your .avi file is using CineForm video compression. If so, problems have been reported in the past with

regard to incomplete imports of that format into Premiere Elements.

But, let me make sure that I am understanding your workflow.

1. You have an .avi file (7 GB, 8 minutes). You import it into Premiere Elements with its Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets.

a. Do you get a thumbnail for the file in Project Assets? If so, what is the duration of the file displayed in Project Assets.under the thumbnail...8 minutes or 55 seconds? If you right click the file in Project Assets, select Properties, what do you see for file size and file duration?

b. When you drag the file to from Project Assets to the Timeline Video Track 1, what is the duration of the file there 8 minutes or 55 seconds?

Do you see a component in both Video 1 and Audio 1 no matter what the duration?

Please detail the nature of the .avi files that you say worked in the past and not how they differ from the current problem file.

Please review this 2013 Cineform Premiere Elements issue and consider.

Elements imports Cineform .avi at wrong duration

GoPro User Forum • View topic - Adobe Premiere Elements .avi duration

In a recent thread, a user claims that GoPro refuted that the import fix information was ever given to anyone from them. I will see if I can find this latter

thread if you are interested.

We will be watching for your confirming details, results, and comments.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: AVI clip in "Project Assets" not the same as the original file
                A.T. Romano Level 7

bdarteman

I did not see your reply and your workaround until after I had posted my post numbered 3.

Great job in finding a workaround for your situation. If you have the time, please let us know if you were

indeed trying to work with Cineform.avi in Premiere Elements.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: AVI clip in "Project Assets" not the same as the original file
                  bdarteman Level 1

Thank you for your response. Even though I've worked around the issue, I'll go through this with you. I am using CineForm and have used it multiple times in the past - not sure why this one is different.  I did get a thumbnail in the Project Assets, and the duration listed for that thumbnail is 55 seconds.  I also looked in the properties before posting and it listed the duration as 55 seconds.  When I pull the video down to the Video/Audio 1, there are components in both, and both are that same 55 seconds. I attached a screenshot to demonstrate.

I am usually pretty good at resolving issues like this, but my knowledge of format only goes so far.

Thanks!PREL Trouble 7-20.png

• 6. Re: AVI clip in "Project Assets" not the same as the original file
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

bdarteman

Thanks for the reply.

If you get a chance, please check out the test runs that I did with Cineform.avi in the thread referenced in post 3.

I still have the GoPro Cineform video codec installed on my computer. Please let me know if there is any file road testing

I can do for you as cross check. If you post a small sample of your Cineform.avi (as Dropbox link in a post here), I will

take a look at it in Premiere Elements 12/12.1.

But, are you saying that all your prior Cineform.avi files had no problems with Premiere Elements 12/12.1, it is just this one?

Were the prior ones 7 GB plus 8 minutes plus?

ATR