7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2014 7:12 PM by A.T. Romano

Turning still images into a video-help please!

Neweditor16

Hello, I have Adobe Premiere Elements 10 editing system, and I am currently working a summer project. One of the things I would like to do is create a video from still images, but I am having a problem, because the images I chose and increased their time line look too choppy, but I want a more flow-ey look. What should the speed or duration be for each picture? Are there other effects that can assist the making of my still picture video? Also, I am up for any other suggestions others have on making a smooth, still image video. Thanks! 

• 1. Re: Turning still images into a video-help please!
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Neweditor16

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 10 running on? And, 32 bit or 64 bit? Are you in a NTSC or PAL setup?

As per your other thread on a different topic, are you a Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card user? Let us rule that in or out at the beginning. I do not believe that you answered that question in your other thread.

Assuming that is taken care of or ruled out....

a. What are the pixel dimensions of your photos? Are they larger than 1920 x 1080 16:9? How many of them are there?

b. My generalized suggestion would be to use 1920 x 1080 16:9 photos imported into Premiere Elements 10 with the project

preset set at

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @29.97

c. There will be a red line over the Timeline content. Press the Enter key of the computer main keyboard in order to render the Timeline

Content so that you get the best possible preview for playback in the Edit area monitor. (You can also right click the monitor and set the

Playback Settings to Highest instead of Automatic.)

Please post the information requested. We could be dealing with computer resources (especially if computer is 32 bit and/or grossly

oversized photos for the project settings).

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Turning still images into a video-help please!
            Neweditor16 Level 1

My computer is Windows 7 ran and a 64-bit I'm guessing. Also, I don't think I'm a Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card user (well I don't know if I am or not really).  There are 10 photos an they are 3680x2760, being 2.1 MB each. My GoPro Hero 3+ Silver Edition took these 10 photos of someone jumping in about 1 second, and what I am really aiming to ask is that how can I make the pictures flow as if it was a video and not just still images

A.T. Romano

• 3. Re: Turning still images into a video-help please!
              Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some suggestions:

Try resizing (pixel size) your photos to about 2/3 the size they are now.

Try a duration of about 3-7 seconds per photo.

Use pan and zoom.

Use a cross dissolve transition.

• 4. Re: Turning still images into a video-help please!
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Neweditor16

Important to know if your Windows 7 is 32 bit or 64 bit. That information has computer resource consideration.

Click on the Start button and in the pop up right click "Computer" and select Properties. You should see a spot for

System Type. If your Windows 7 is 64 bit, System Type should say 64 bit operating system. What do you see next

to System Type?

Also, please go to Device Manager/Display Adapters/ and see what you have for a video card/graphics card.

Click Start, in the Search Field above Start, type in Device Manager. Click on Device Manager at the top of the left side column.

Then Device Manager/Display Adapters/ name of your video card/graphics card. Double click the card name, and then select the

Driver tab. What does it say there for the version and the date of the version?

If I am understanding what you want to do when you say smooth flowing, it sounds like make a TimeLapse video from

these 10 photos. I will base details on the information supplied.

Back soon.

ATR

Add on...my opinion....for what you described you do not want pan and zoom for 10 photos showing a person jumping with 1 second. Your photos

may or may not need to be resized depending on your computer resources and only those 10 photos. And, details of experimenting

with photo duration to achieve the wanted effect will also be discussed pending details requested. Thanks.

• 5. Re: Turning still images into a video-help please!
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Neweditor16

I was not sure of my schedule for later this evening so I am going to post a sample scenario, assuming that you have Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 64 bit.

1. Place your 10 each at 3680 x 2760 4:3 pixels photos in sequence order in a desktop folder. Do not bother to resize them beforehand ONLY if your Windows 7 is 64 bit and not 32 bit and your installed RAM exceeds 4 GB.

2. Open Premiere Elements 10 and set the project preset for

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

3. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and remove the check mark next to the option "Default Scale to Frame Size".

4. Next, use Get Media/Files and Folder to bring your desktop folder into the Organize/Media area. From there drag the whole unopened folder to the start of Timeline Video Track 1. When you do, your 10 photos will be on the Timeline in the order that you placed them in the folder.

5. Click on Photo 1 to select it. Then go to Properties Palette/Motion Panel expanded and the Scale property. Set the Scale at 52.6%.

6. Go back to the Timeline and click on Photo 1 to select it. Go to Edit Menu, select Copy. Then select the other 9 photos (all at one time), right

click anywhere in the selection, and select and click on Paste Attributes.

7. To give a Timelapse effect to your 10 photos, you are going to decrease the duration of each photo. You do not want to be dealing in seconds, rather frames (1 to 5 frames which is 0.033 to 0.165 seconds in a 30 frames per second set up).

a. first we look at the effect with the photo duration of 5 frames...select all 10 photos all at one time....right click anywhere in the selection and select Timeline Stretch. In the Time Stretch dialog change duration from 00;00;05;00 (5 seconds) to 00;00;00;05 (5 frames equivalent to 0.165 seconds)...note the Timelapse effect that is achieved after you render the Timeline content by pressing the Enter key to get the best possible preview of the Timeline content played back in the Edit area monitor.

b. If you are not satisfied with "a", the repeat, but this time change the duration of all to 00;00;00;03 (3 frames equivalent to 0.150 seconds)...note the Timelapse

effect that is achieved after you render the Timeline by pressing the Enter key to get the best possible preview.

c. If you are not satisfied with "b", then repeat, but this time change to the lower possible set 00;00;00;01 (1 frame equivalent to 0.033 seconds)..note the Timelapse effect achieved after you render the Timeline by pressing the Enter key ot get the best possible preview.

See what that looks like. At this time, I would not bother with transitions. More than one transition placement at a time can be done by selecting all the photos and using Timeline Menu/Apply Default Transition. But, with such short duration photos, I would need to think about changing the transition default duration.

And, I see no point in pans and zooms with the short duration that are used.

These are some basic ideas about Timelapse in Premiere Elements.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Time Lapse Video Basics

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Numbered Stills in Time Lapse and Other Animations

Notes: To select more than one clip at a time, you can hold down the Shift key and click each photo. Or, you can use the mouse cursor tip to draw a rectangle around the photos to select them.

Please let us know if any of this needs clarification.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Turning still images into a video-help please!
                    Neweditor16 Level 1

Thank you very much for the help! I got it all figured out now

A.T. Romano

• 7. Re: Turning still images into a video-help please!
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Neweditor16

Great news. Great job.

Please let us know if more questions on this or clarifications needed.

Thanks for the follow up.

You made my day with that wonderful news "I got it all figured out now".

Best wishes

ATR