8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2014 11:36 AM by A.T. Romano

How do I restore default functionality to the Pan & Zoom tool?

ReaderTorture Level 1

When I select the Pan & Zoom tool, the image on the left is what I get - the green bars that used to appear are gone: http://imageshack.com/a/img540/240/b6b715.jpg

What step by step procedure do I need to follow to get those green bars to appear like they used to? The green bars disappear ONLY when I place a video in the timeline.  If I place a still photo in the timeline the green bars are there like they should be.

• 1. Re: How do I restore default functionality to the Pan & Zoom tool?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ReaderTorture

From your previous threads, it would appear that you are using Premiere Elements 12 Mac. Is that correct?

Is this a "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before" type of issue?

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, and, when I select Tools Menu/Pan And Zoom, the project gets taken into the Pan and Zoom workspace that looks like

Pan and Zoom Tool.JPG

Is this what you are used to seeing when you used Tools Menu/Pan and Zoom Tool? I think that I lost you when

you wrote

If I place a still photo in the timeline the green bars are there like they should be.

After I click Done to the Pan and Zoom workspace, the project goes back to the Expert workspace and the panned and zoomed photo has no green marking(s) on it. The panned and zoomed photo that goes back to the Expert workspace does have an increased duration compared to the original Timeline photo.

Could you point out what the green bars are that you are referring to?

I have never seen a Premiere Elements 11 or 12 Pan and Zoom workspace that looked like your screenshot.

What were you doing in the program when this problem occurred?

I would suggest that you make sure that

1. You have updated the program from 12 to 12.1.

2. You have deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file (Users/user name/Libraries/Application Support/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0)

3. If that does not work, then I would suggest a complete uninstall/reinstall of the program.

Is the Pan and Zoom Tool the only feature that is not working and/or displaying correctly?

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I restore default functionality to the Pan & Zoom tool?
            ReaderTorture Level 1

The green bars I am refering to are those shown on the right hand photo: http://imageshack.com/a/img540/240/b6b715.jpg

Those bars used to appear whenever I inserted a video into the timeline and then chose the Pan & Zoom command.  Now they don't anymore except when I insert a still photo.

I took your advice and uninstalled and reinstalled the program.  Problem NOT SOLVED!  I do not know what to try next. I made a 1 minute video describing the problem: pan - YouTube

• 3. Re: How do I restore default functionality to the Pan & Zoom tool?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

ReaderTorture

Thank you for your very helpful screenshots. My comment to uninstall and reinstall was based on what looked to me to be an abnormal Pan and Tool workspace display whether you were working with still or video. The uninstall and reinstall is not a remedy for what you have just demonstrated in your post 2 screenshots.

Here is my take on your question.

The green bars that you refer to represent Hold time which exists for stills but not videos.

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Pan and zoom to create video-like effect

Note that Settings says "for images" which I believe is interpreted still and not video.

Please review and consider. Any questions or need clarification, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I restore default functionality to the Pan & Zoom tool?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

ReaderTorture

Just a catch up on some information...

Do you presently have Premiere Elements 12/12.1 working?

I found an email notification for one of your posts (presumed post 2 of this thread), but I do not see all of it in your post numbered 2. Does that mean that you successfully uninstalled/reinstalled Premiere Elements 12 using your purchased serial number and then installed the 12.1 update via the opened project's Help Menu/Update?

It is difficult reconciling email notifications with what actually is appearing in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum. Often the user edits of posts are not reflected in the email notifications. It is good to edit if necessary. But, I just want to make sure you are OK with your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 install.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: How do I restore default functionality to the Pan & Zoom tool?
                  ReaderTorture Level 1

You're right - the green bars represent Hold time which exists for stills but not videos.  I was mistaken in believing they existed for videos.  I had no trouble reinstalling the program because I found the serial number.  Thanks again.

• 6. Re: How do I restore default functionality to the Pan & Zoom tool?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Readertorture

Thanks for the follow. Great news that your program is installed and your are OK with the program's Pan and Zoom Tool workspace details for stills and videos.

Originally I had included a screenshot in my reply numbered 3, but removed it with the thought of leaving it for later if needed.

Very pleased with your news.

ATR

• 7. Re: How do I restore default functionality to the Pan & Zoom tool?
                      ReaderTorture Level 1

Actually there is still trouble.  The green bars that represent Hold time are not appearing reliably when I insert a still photo into the timeline like they used to. So even when I insert a still photo into the timeline, select it and then choose Pan & Zoom, the green bars do not appear. Instead, a solid blue bar appears like the photo on the left: http://imageshack.com/a/img540/240/b6b715.jpg

Now on the other hand, I am finding I really don't need to adjust the hold time anyway so this issue is not currently a big deal so I don't need any further assistance from the forum with it.

• 8. Re: How do I restore default functionality to the Pan & Zoom tool?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

ReaderTorture

Thanks for the update with your situation with the Hold setting for stills.

For now, it seems that you are OK with the what is. If you want to revisit this Hold setting further at a later time, please let us know.

I will leave you with these just in case notes....

a. check the Pan and Zoom workspace Settings before you import your still into the Pan and Zoom workspace. The still that you import

for the first time should have the Hold time that is set in the Pan and Zoom Tool workspace Settings area.

b. when you are changing Hold time in that Settings area, if 7.5 seconds (00;00;07;15), Hold will display as 8 seconds (on screen and green bar in Timeline)...if 7.4 seconds, Hold will display as 7 seconds (on screen and green bar in Timeline).. If Hold = 0 seconds in those Settings, Hold will show 0 seconds on screen and there will be no green bar in the Pan and Zooms workspace Timeline. These Pan and Zoom workspace Settings appear unchanged even if you customize Hold in the Pan and Zoom workspace.

ATR