6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2014 5:29 PM by Bill Gehrke

Trying to replicate the Low-end Warrior build

Vermiform

I read through a good portion of Harm's Tweaker Page and I am trying to replicate the Low End Warrior example. Unfortunately, I've run into a few walls.

1) I cannot find a source for the Cooler Master Hyper 412S. Is there a valid substitute?

2) Not sure which ram to buy. I think I want DDR4.

3) There are several versions of the nVidia GTX 760 on the market. Not sure which one to get.

4)  The Seagate 7200.14 is dated and harder to find right now. Is there a replacement?

5) It says a raid controller is an option. Do you have any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Trying to replicate the Low-end Warrior build
          JEShort01 Level 4

Regarding cooler, Cooler Master's Hyper 212 EVO has a stellar reputation for low cost cpu cooling options.

Regarding RAM, you definitely need DDR3; DDR4 is strickly a next gen. thing.

Regarding GTX 760 option, select an EVGA option unless one of the others is way less expensive. They are a pretty solid company and the performance of all the available models is similar. You do need to select whether you want a reference design card (little louder, all hot air exhausts through the back of PC) or a non-reference design (generally more effective cooling, a bit quieter, and sometimes a bit physically larger).

Regarding RAID solutions, I would suggest get a very expensive Areca card (i.e. ARC-1882i) or skip RAID 3, RAID 5. You can get a motherboard with a lot of Intel ports and go RAID 10 using Intel's quasi-RAID solution. Do not go with RAID 5 on-board due to speed! That would be glacially slow compared with all other options.

Regards,

Jim

• 2. Re: Trying to replicate the Low-end Warrior build
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I would seriously suggest you wait until about mid September for the newest generation Intel chips the Haswell-E and the required X99 based motherboard which will require the newest faster DDR4 memory.

This drive is a 7200.14, the Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200.

My advice on GPU's especially in the USA is to pay a few dollars extra and get the slightly faster memory clocking with the Superclocked version.  The starting list price of the EVGA GTX 760 is $250 and the same one with SC (EVGA code for Superclocking) is either $260 or $270.  Now if you think you might be editing 4K resolution media then get the 4 GB  video RAM models.

• 3. Re: Trying to replicate the Low-end Warrior build
              Vermiform Level 1

@ Bill Gehrke

I very much appreciate what you are saying but I just can't wait. I wish I could but if I don't move now, I run the risk of my money drying up. I've got to get busy cranking out content ASAP. I realize I'm going to whine and moan come September but it is what it is.

@ JEShort01

I'm going with an ASUS P9X79 WS LGA Motherboard.and 4 of the Seagate 2TB Baracudas that Bill recommended. I don't want to splurge for a RAID controller right now, so what are my options or your suggestions? (or Bill's suggestions)

@ Everyone

I'll be going with 32GB ram (4x8GB). Can anyone suggest a brand/specs for me?

In school, I got attached to using 2 monitors. Do you foresee any problems with me using two for my new system and do you have any suggestions in this area?

I'm expect to run Windows 7 on this machine. Any problems with this choice of OS?

And last but not least:

Guys, I can't possibly thank you guys enough for helping me through this. You have no idea how helpful you both have been. I owe you gentlemen BIG TIME.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 4. Re: Trying to replicate the Low-end Warrior build

Vermiform wrote:

1..@ Bill Gehrke

I very much appreciate what you are saying but I just can't wait. I wish I could but if I don't move now, I run the risk of my money drying up. I've got to get busy cranking out content ASAP. I realize I'm going to whine and moan come September but it is what it is.

2..@ JEShort01

I'm going with an ASUS P9X79 WS LGA Motherboard.and 4 of the Seagate 2TB Baracudas that Bill recommended. I don't want to splurge for a RAID controller right now, so what are my options or your suggestions? (or Bill's suggestions)

3..@ Everyone

I'll be going with 32GB ram (4x8GB). Can anyone suggest a brand/specs for me?

4..In school, I got attached to using 2 monitors. Do you foresee any problems with me using two for my new system and do you have any suggestions in this area?

5..I'm expect to run Windows 7 on this machine. Any problems with this choice of OS?\

1.  Go for it while it is available.

2.  Consider the P9X79-E, it is more expensive but it has more PCIe expansion slots and more SATA III ports for future expansion.

3.  Currently my favorite is G-Skill look at the ASUS site for motherboard compatible memory list.

4.  No problem whatever.

5.  No problem as long as you have the 64-bit version.  Windows 8 has a couple of new features but I do not see much advantage with that vintage motherboard.

• 5. Re: Trying to replicate the Low-end Warrior build
                  Vermiform Level 1

@

Bill Gehrke wrote:

5.  No problem as long as you have the 64-bit version.  Windows 8 has a couple of new features but I do not see much advantage with that vintage motherboard.

When you say vintage, I get worried. Is there a comparable MB out there that I should look at that is more up to date? I was trying to replicate the low end warrior build with a Intel i7-4930K LGA 2011 64 processor but I'm not married to it if you think my money could be spent better in a different MB and processor.

• 6. Re: Trying to replicate the Low-end Warrior build

Sorry but I am not getting updates to these forums so sometimes it takes a while to get back to updates.

X79 motherboards are vintage motherboards in my opinion, having been introduced September 2013.  The latest motherboards are X97 or within 60 days the X99 newest motherboards which have many major advantages

Since you can not wait and take my first suggestion and then at least use the P9X79-E so you have better expansion capabilities for the future.