7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2014 9:46 AM by luismanuelbatista

Acquiring Adobe Software

luismanuelbatista

Hello world,

I'm starting a new business of printing, and I'm looking for a solution of Photoshop and Illustrator, but I can't find any.

As an individual I can get both easily but for a small business I have to buy the full package (with dreamweaver, indesign, flash, ...) but I only need Photoshop and Illustrator.

Help, anybody?

• 1. Re: Acquiring Adobe Software
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Do you perceive a restriction on purchasing for use in a business vs. an individual?  I'm not aware of any such restriction. 

Or are you saying that you will have multiple users?

-Noel

• 2. Re: Acquiring Adobe Software
            luismanuelbatista Level 1

I want to install at least 2 or 3 computers, and it's going to be a small business not an individual.

When I try to buy a license for a business I only have access to a full package, not just Photoshop or Illustrator.

-Luis

• 3. Re: Acquiring Adobe Software
              Noel Carboni Level 8

Thanks for the clarification.

I don't know much about enterprise licensing, but I do know that you should make a telephone call to Adobe Sales to explore different options.

Good luck.  I hope your business thrives!

-Noel

• 4. Re: Acquiring Adobe Software
                Bo LeBeau Level 4

If you're starting a new printing business you will need to be able to accept PDF files since they are the most common file types sent for printing.

I would recommend Acrobat Pro. Adobe Reader doesn''t have enough features to be used as a substitute in the printing business.

Also plugins like Pitshop for Acrobat Pro and some soft of impostion software would be very useful.

What kind of printing do you expect to do?

Do you understand different file formats and their uses and any possible limitations?

Native Photoshop & Illustrator files with live text will be useless unless you also receive the fonts that were used (and also the ability to be able to use any and all supplied fonts)

Demanding that customers rasterize or convert fonts to outlines will not make your customers happy. If this sounds confusing to you, to need to read up and understand the implications.

You don't want to be known as the printer that prints out items with incorrect fonts or sends a file back to a customer saying "Sorry, we can't use your file" (unless it actually is the customer's fault)

• 5. Re: Acquiring Adobe Software

I'm aware of that too.

It's about printing small and great sizes in paper or vinyl. Most of the work will be printing or copy but some work can be developed in my facilities.

Thanks for the tip.

• 6. Re: Acquiring Adobe Software
                    Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

It's also inconceivable that you will manage without InDesign. That is the basic set: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro. A Creative Cloud subscription gives these. Yes, it gives lots of other things you won' t need but that's true for everyone.  A normal retail license allows two computers but only if they are used by JUST ONE PERSON (e.g. your own desktop and laptop). For business use it is a license per computer.

• 7. Re: Acquiring Adobe Software

Actually, Indesign isn't necessary for this kind of business. This isn't graphics, just printing.

However the price of three softwares isn't far from a full package. I'll think about it.