3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2014 11:01 AM by satiu77

why do shadows appear before the letters when using the write-on effect

satiu77

I am using the write-on effect.  I am casting shadows on a wall but the shadows of the letters are appearing whole prior to the letters being written.  How can I get the shadows to appear in sync?

• 1. Re: why do shadows appear before the letters when using the write-on effect
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Without knowing more details about your comp, how you create the shadow and a million other things we can't really help you. we don't even know what version of AE you use.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: why do shadows appear before the letters when using the write-on effect
            bogiesan Level 4

Create the shadows as a separate layer. You can do that as a parented layer or, my preference, export the shadows only as a mauve. If you a re using 3D text, you'll need a different solution but you've probably got your lights settings or surface settings wrong.

• 3. Re: why do shadows appear before the letters when using the write-on effect
              satiu77 Level 1

I apologize for not supplying enough information.  I am using AE CS6 and I am using 3D layers with lights. I have also used a single layer for each letter in the message that is slowly appearing.  The lights are creating the shadows but are rendering the shadow before the effect write-on, as the shadow letter appears first.  Then the letter is drawn second.  I thought it must be something in the render order, but I couldn't figure out how to make it happen correctly.

After I posted my question, I found an Adobe video tutorial on render-order.  Although the video didn't address my problem, it did remind me that an effect that I could use - drop shadows.  I inserted the drop shadow effect above the write-on effect on each letter and the world is good.  The shadow appears at the same time as the letter.  And with a whole lot less effort.

I appreciate you taking the time to think about the problem.  If there is a simple solution I would still be interested in knowing what it might be.

Steve