2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2014 9:56 AM by lange photography

can i add a ruler to my images for product photography?

lange photography

hi everyone... thank you all for any insight and information.  i am going to be shooting a large amount of jewelry product for an online vendor.  they wish to include one shot that has a ruler grid next to the jewelry so that a shopper can see the measured size.  is there anyway to create a ruler overlay in lightroom of photoshop, without having to simply create the overlay?  thank you again for any assistance.  appreciate it!

• 1. Re: can i add a ruler to my images for product photography?
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How are you shooting the pictures? You need to use a lens that has magnification numbers on the focus ring (1:1, 1:2, etc) and all products need to be at the same focus distance to be sized the same. Post a typical picture that will be used and we can provide more suggestions concerning the ruler you mentioned.

• 2. Re: can i add a ruler to my images for product photography?
            lange photography Level 1

thank you kindly for the response.  i appreciate it.  i have been busy with the shoot so apologies for the delay.  we ended up creating an actual ruler framed foam core piece to set the jewelry on.  originally we thought this may be difficult to pull off.  but since so many of the pieces vary in size from 1/2" to 2 feet or more, the concept of creating a stagnate tripod set up seemed unusually complex.  now i simply place the piece on the marked foam core and compose as necessary. 

thank you again for taking the time to respond.  i greatly appreciate it!

all the best