12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2014 5:51 PM by Noel Carboni

gradient not blending evenly inside photoshop

eq84104

I started having issues with my gradient tool. It was working fine then all of a sudden it stopped blending the colors evenly. I know how it blends depends on where you start and end but when doing backgrounds I never had a problem and the tool always transitioned all colors smoothly and even, but now when I try to use gradient tool no matter the size or where I start its as if the blending wont start until quarter start on the screen. For example if I were to put it into numbers  on a scare from 100- 0 when the tool worked and I was putting a gradient on a full background it would look something like this:

100 - 80 - 60 - 40 - 20 - 0

and now that it is not working the exact same action will look like this

100 - 95 - 90 - 80 - 60 - 20 - 0

Im sorry it is just so hard to explain  Im also including a picture that shows what is happening and yes I have tried multiple colors and no matter how close or far apart they are in contrast issue remains the same. I already reset tool, and preferences and I even uninstalled and reinstalled photoshop and issue is not fixed. All my drivers are up to date and all other tools and presets work fine Im only having issues with the gradient tool.. can someone please help me... adobe no longer supports phone troubleshooting for creative suite products. I just realized that the saved version looks much better than on photoshop is there a display setting that might help with the issue.. I also included a screenshot of what is looks like in photoshop please help this was never an issue before.

Thank you for your help

On the left is the saved version and on the right is how photoshop display the image

gradient problem.jpgphotoshop display.jpg

• 1. Re: gradient not blending evenly inside photoshop
          Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is your image's DPI?

To what file type are you saving it?

Nancy O.

• 2. Re: gradient not blending evenly inside photoshop
            eq84104 Level 1

I generally use 300 dpi/resolution when designing layouts but when I'm doing illustrations or drawings I use much higher res and its usually around 900 just so the Wacom pen creates smoother lines but gradient displays the same in photoshop. the sample I uploaded was jpeg. Like I said before I just noticed the blending is much smoother on the save filed file but photoshop is displaying it all messed up and it makes it almost impossible to design layouts when it's displaying gradients the way it has been

• 3. Re: gradient not blending evenly inside photoshop
              Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What happens if you reboot your system, don't use the Wacom pen and just use a mouse to define your gradient?

Nancy O.

• 4. Re: gradient not blending evenly inside photoshop
                eq84104 Level 1

same thing at least for the reboot. I only use the tablet when I draw, but when I design I use my reg computer screen and mouse I can try unplugging my tablet and see what happens

• 5. Re: gradient not blending evenly inside photoshop
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

First off, your gradient is fine in the first posted image.  It's smooth (within the limits of 24 bit color) here.  There are no multi-level jumps in luminance.

Here's an experiment so that you don't have to take my word for it.  Open your posted image in Photoshop, then put a curves layer over the top to enhance it.  Do you still see the problem with the blending or does the multiple level jump vanish or move to another place?

EnhancedScreenGrab.png

Given that your image is fine, it's likely your display that's showing you a less than ideal rendition of it.

What monitor do you have?

What video card do you have, and what is the method of connecting the computer to the monitor?

What color profile have you associated with the monitor?

-Noel

• 6. Re: gradient not blending evenly inside photoshop
                    eq84104 Level 1

that's what I was thinking because after I saved the file it looked normal but just not displaying properly in photoshop it never looked like that before and this is the first time this has happened. I have a dell s2209w widescreen 1920x1080 and ati radeon HD 4800 graphics card. as for color management I am not sure what ever the default is. I never changed or modified it. I just don't understand I didn't make any changes or adjustments then all of a sudden this happens. This is some older work and the out put looked exactly the same as in photoshop even the gif with limited colors look smoother than it does now

web-layout-for-rochester.gifcoin effect_gerald2.jpg

• 7. Re: gradient not blending evenly inside photoshop
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

It's possible a Windows Update delivered a bum profile to your system.  It happens.

Try this, assuming you have Windows 7:

Click the Start button and type color into the search box.

When Color Management comes up, click it.

What do you see as the default profile for your monitor in the Devices tab?

The Windows default is the profile sRGB IEC61966-2.1

-Noel

• 8. Re: gradient not blending evenly inside photoshop
                        eq84104 Level 1

That is what comes up

and I really appreciate your help

Capture.PNG

• 9. Re: gradient not blending evenly inside photoshop
                          Noel Carboni Level 8

That's pretty much what I expected.

Try this:  Check the [ ] Use my settings for this device box, then Add the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile and make it the default.

Then see if the problem is corrected in Photoshop.

-Noel

• 10. Re: gradient not blending evenly inside photoshop
                            eq84104 Level 1

ok I will try that... another thing I forgot to mention I notice photoshop is launching much faster than normal. Im not complaining that it is launching faster but was wondering if something wasn't loading properly. It used take about 30 to 50 sec to load all presets and settings and now when I launch it photoshop opens almost instantly

• 11. Re: gradient not blending evenly inside photoshop
                              eq84104 Level 1

i tried to change the settings and also restarted my computer and photoshop and still same issue... I tried working on fireworks and gradients look perfect... looks like Im going to have to learn how to use fireworks better at least for print design purposes... I appreciate all that tried to help

• 12. Re: gradient not blending evenly inside photoshop
                                Noel Carboni Level 8

You say you tried to change the settings...  Did you successfully get it to the point where the sRGB profile was listed as (Default)?  If not, what went wrong?

Don't give up yet, there's more we can try...

What color profile do you have assigned to the image while you're editing it?

And there is a setting in the Edit - Preferences - Performance - Advanced Settings dialog that you could try to change...  Try selecting Basic drawing mode and restarting Photoshop.  That moves Photoshop's color management from the GPU to the CPU.  If it were to fix the problem it would help identify the root cause.

-Noel