10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2014 7:44 AM by RjL190365

Any Benefit to Upgrading Video Card only? i7 950 @ 3.07, 12GB RAM, GTX 470.

literally_figurative Level 1

Machine specs are i7 950 @ 3.07, 12GB RAM, GTX 470.

I edit DSLR footage and while the machine has served me for 3 years now I know it is time to upgrade soon. I am waiting to do so at the end of the year, but was wondering if upgrading to the GTX 780 right now would be a good idea?

What sort of improvement would I get just upgrading the video card and nothing else? I am particularly interested in footage scrubbing smoother on the timeline which is just okay right now. It would be great if I didn't have to sometimes stop playback on the timeline and play again because of dropped frames (i assume) making playback jerky. Would this upgrade impact exports in any way? I have been unable to find what specifically more CUDA cores will do in the same exact system. Current card is less than 500, this new one would be about 2000. I imagine it wouldn't make things WORSE, but unsure if it may not be worth it.

TL;DR - has anyone upgraded from a 400 series card to a 6 or 700 series with an older CPU and seen benefit from this upgrade alone with everything else the same? Was it worth it?

• 1. Re: Any Benefit to Upgrading Video Card only? i7 950 @ 3.07, 12GB RAM, GTX 470.
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You will see minimal, if any, difference in performance.  An increase of RAM to 24GB will make some difference.

• 2. Re: Any Benefit to Upgrading Video Card only? i7 950 @ 3.07, 12GB RAM, GTX 470.

I was considering this as well but the RAM is unavailable. I was quicker leaning to just the video card as I know I can transfer this to a new build.

My mobo can only do 24GB, are you saying RAM only or RAM with the video card is your suggestion?

• 3. Re: Any Benefit to Upgrading Video Card only? i7 950 @ 3.07, 12GB RAM, GTX 470.
              Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Add 12GB to your current 12GB.  I noticed some difference in my system, especially rendering  time, when I did that.

Going from a GTX470 to a GTX660Ti 2GB superclocked made no difference.

• 6. Re: Any Benefit to Upgrading Video Card only? i7 950 @ 3.07, 12GB RAM, GTX 470.
                Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

The GPU change probably will not affect the performance while editing as explained above. 

While exporting you probably will see a difference, but it depends on what your media is that you are using and what effects and features that are MPE accelerated you are using.  In our PPBM benchmark we have two timelines that we export.  Both are GPU accelerated anywhere from 5:1 to 40:1 depending on many factors but changing the board on my one computer with CS6 from a GTX 480 to a GTX 780 decreased the time from 40 seconds to 26 seconds for our MPEG2-DVD export test which looks like a lot but when you consider that the CPU only time was 555 seconds it really is a small incremental change that is hardly worth spending $500.  The vast majority of your time is not spent exporting it is all the rest of the editing process.  Now if you are editing 4K resolution you should be using a 4 GB video RAM board. If you are using CC 2014 it has many more GPU accelerated effects especially on the 4K and things might be a little different.

There is myth floating around the GPU acceleration primarily affects scaling HD material down to MPEG2-DVD, this is totally wrong.  On our very complex 7-layer 52 second timeline that includes many different video formats including 4K material the H.264 timeline which is 1920 x 1080 where we export to H.264 Blu-ray (1920 x 1080) on my test system the CPU only export time is 908 seconds and with CC 2014 the a GTX 770 SC GPU the accelerated time is around 100 seconds  With two GPU's the GTX 770 SC and a GTX680 it drops to 76 seconds.  Before CC 2014 the single GPU accelerated time was about 200 seconds

• 7. Re: Any Benefit to Upgrading Video Card only? i7 950 @ 3.07, 12GB RAM, GTX 470.
                  alexdejesus Level 1

I, too, was wondering if I might benefit from upgrading only the graphics card. My current system:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU

Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz 43 °C

Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

RAM

32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (10-10-10-27)

Motherboard

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT (LGA1155) 37 °C

Graphics

1535MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Amp! (ZOTAC International) 44 °C

Storage

CACHE & PREVIEWS 111GB ATA KINGSTON SH100S3 SCSI Disk Device (SSD) 34 °C

OS DRIVE 238GB ATA Samsung SSD 840 SCSI Disk Device (SSD) 35 °C

CAPTURE STORAGE 16 TB Intel Raid 0 Volume SCSI Disk Device (4 x 4TB) 34 °C

DNxHD 220 Footage

DSLR Footage

AVCHD

Optical Blu-ray Drives

HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40 ATA Device

I was shooting HDV when I built this system, but am now shooting with a Canon EOS C100 and a 5D Mk III DSLR. I record DNxHD externally onto Atomos Ninja Blade.

Although this system seems pretty well balanced, I have never been able to do much more than basic editing with Premiere's real-time effects, since anything else (like Noise reducers, MB Looks and Red Giant effects) pretty much cripples my system playback, rendering, exporting. Even with HDV footage I was never satisfied with performance. I recently upgraded my storage from a 2-disk RAID 0 to a 4-disk 16 TB RAID 0, which seems to have helped transfer rates a little.

I wonder if the GTX 580 is defective.  It seems to run pretty hot under load at 60 degrees or more unless I boost fan speed to the max. I cannot change any GPU clocks speeds or other settings from default without the display crashing. That is why I am considering a new GPU. I plan to build or buy a new PC within the next year, anyway, but it would be great if a GPU could extend the life of this one.

As for a new complete built, I need to know if now is the time to do it. Or, is there some new motherboard/processor series on the horizon that I should wait for? The frustrating thing about these kinds of forum threads is that the information is quickly dated and obsolete.

• 8. Re: Any Benefit to Upgrading Video Card only? i7 950 @ 3.07, 12GB RAM, GTX 470.

Alex, I am wondering if, like me, you are expecting a 1:1 playback when scrubbing and the ever so slight jittering of the timeline is annoying you to the point of doing this research.

Just edited something recently and it wasn't terrible. It wasn't bad enough that I had to spend $500 on a video card to fix. Using strictly DSLR footage, I edited as needed, and just sharpened and adjusted color afterwards on an adjustment layer. Mind you, I do not have any fancy disk setup. I use different drives to the OS for editing and keep everything on that drive, nothing special for exporting or previews, at least not yet. Whatever you are dealing with I suspect is not close to as bad as I am dealing with. I suppose it MAY be a situation where we have to ask ourselves if we are being impatient or something?

Again, it sounds like you pretty much have to deal with what I deal with, which is, forget about any sort of smooth playback if you add denoiser or anything from magic bullet. They simply have to be rendered, or as I mentioned, I will finish my edit and do these things last and just export.

With that said, I do intend to build a new machine by next April. I am waiting for Windows 9 and the 800 series of video cards. I intend to use the intel 4930 6 core CPU. I am not the most savvy with hardware, but it seems as though this is the best bang for the buck compared to the 1000 dollar extreme version of the CPU, and I figured 12 cores via hyperthreading have to lend itself better to video editing and exporting than 8, right? As for video card, being on sub-500 CUDA cores compared to the 2000 of the newer cards, I would hope those new cards add SOMETHING to the equation. Would love to know what EXACTLY CUDA cores do for me, and if more means anything substantial.

Bill, thank you for your input. I have essentially learned that with my next build, I should be pretty content with that 800 series card, and per Bob, my RAM will be maxed at 64GB I am thinking.

Alex, PCPartpicker is your friend!

• 9. Re: Any Benefit to Upgrading Video Card only? i7 950 @ 3.07, 12GB RAM, GTX 470.
                      alexdejesus Level 1

Thanks for the PCPartspicker tip. Was looking for that.

I am not sure if my GPU card is defective. Hoping that would improve things for me.

And I, too, am waiting for the next series of processors/mobo, etc to build new

• 10. Re: Any Benefit to Upgrading Video Card only? i7 950 @ 3.07, 12GB RAM, GTX 470.
                        RjL190365 Level 4

As a few posters stated, the improvement in performance does not justify spending a lot of extra cash over what you currently have. In addition, you have an older quad-core CPU with hyperthreading, which will further minimize the impact on performance with an upgraded GPU. Unless you overclock the CPU to over 3.8GHz, the added performance of an upgraded GPU will largely go to waste.