9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2014 2:01 PM by Medbury

Is it possible to save a file that won't open anymore?

Medbury

I have an Indesign CS6 file that I haven't opened for a few months and now it won't open and crashes Indesign each time I try opening it.

All other Indesign files are OK, but this one???

Does anyone have any suggestions bar recreating the file, which is my last resort.  I do have the PDF that I sent to the printers, but need to add in two new pages.

Many thanks

• 1. Re: Is it possible to save a file that won't open anymore?
          rhalaquist Level 1

I am not sure you will be able to open it. However if you have access to the PDF you could try opening with Illustrator (if you do not own that product trials are available). If the PDF has multiple pages just (how I would do it) open page 1, then open the pdf and this time select page 2 etc., once all pages are open maybe go to the first one and create artboards that match however many pages the original pdf is and copy/paste into those art boards. Now with the original PDF if it was done on another system besides the one you will be using you may be missing fonts. Then when all is said and done and you have added your other pages save it as a PDF. Not %100 sure if this will all work but it gives you something to go by until someone more knowledgeable gives input. Good luck. - Edit: I forgot that you could also try using Acrobat to salvage your pdf, I just am not all that knowledgeable yet with it, sorry. Acrobat if you own and again there a re trials probably would be your best attempt first. Again good luck

• 2. Re: Is it possible to save a file that won't open anymore?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Try the blind-open script at Adobe Community: InDesign 6 is crashing when attempting to open a particular document. All others are opening OK. to make a .idml file first. If that doesn't work, and you really only need to add pages without modifying the ones you have, place the PDF into a new document and add your pages.

Illustrator is NOT a general purpose PDF editor and it doesn't do terribly well with PDF exported from ID, but as a last resort....

• 3. Re: Is it possible to save a file that won't open anymore?
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'd like to echo Peter's concerns about opening PDFs in Illustrator... Illustrator is not a PDF editor. The only PDFs that can be safely opened in Illustrator is a PDF that is saved from Adobe Illustrator using File>Save As>PDF.

There are other options available - Markzware can and do as far as I know convert the InDesign file to Quark and back to InDesign as a service - you could try contacting them if all else fails http://markzware.com/support/

Dov Issacs wrote:

On behalf of Adobe Systems Incorporated, I will advise you that Adobe Illustrator is *not*, +repeat+ *not*, +repeat yet again+ *not* a general purpose PDF file editor.

The only full PDF files that Adobe Illustrator can safely open are PDF files saved from Adobe Illustrator itself using the save for editability option.

Why? Adobe Illustrator operates in +either+ CMYK +or+ RGB and +only one+ specific color space per document. Thus, a color-managed PDF file with more than one color space with opened in Illustrator would be ruined. Also there are many PDF constructs that Illustrator knows nothing about. At best, they are treated as foreign objects that cannot be edited. And for text, Illustrator only "understands" particular encodings. General PDF can lose text when opened in Illustrator.

Illustrator can often be safely used to modify specific, simple graphic objects as the vector graphics touch-up tool editor, but not much more.

Proceed at your own risk!

- Dov

Dov Isaacs wrote:

On behalf of Adobe Systems Incorporated ...

Adobe Illustrator is not, repeat not, and repeat yet once again not a general purpose PDF file editor. Opening any arbitrary PDF file in Adobe Illustrator other than PDF files saved in that version of later of Adobe Illustrator with the editability option (which saves the Illustrator document editing data as private data within the PDF file) may result in content loss or corruption.

To answer your specific question, don't expect any PDF layers from AutoCAD to be preserved.

- Dov

Dov Isaacs wrote:

PDF layers are part of an overall feature known as optional content in PDF and are conceptually very different than Illustrator layers. Since PDF optional content features in general are very much a superset of Illustrator layers (PDFMaker for PowerPoint uses optional content to handle certain slide build features, for example), there would be no easy way for Illustrator to readily pick and choose what optional content features to support and translate. As such, don't expect this to be "rectified" in any way in future Illustrator releases.

(To make things even more interesting, both PDF and Illustrator layers are very different than Photoshop layers which allow for defined interactions between layers such as masking!)

- Dov

• 5. Re: Is it possible to save a file that won't open anymore?

For Windows users, there's also a free tool: INDDRecovery — a program for restoring corrupted InDesign documents

My success rate with the above tool is about 25% I think, but when it works it works.

• 6. Re: Is it possible to save a file that won't open anymore?
                  Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you boot up in Windows from Mac and run that program that way?

• 7. Re: Is it possible to save a file that won't open anymore?

I don't know if that works, but it's worth a try if you have a dual OS system.

• 8. Re: Is it possible to save a file that won't open anymore?
                      SeemaP Level 1

Try Copy-Pasting .indd file to Desktop and then try opening it.

(it works sometimes, give it a try!)

• 9. Re: Is it possible to save a file that won't open anymore?
                        Medbury Level 1

Thanks guys, have tried various options, all to no avail, but as I only need two extra pages I will just create these in a new document and then add into the original print PDF.

Thanks for all the help and advise.