3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2014 5:49 AM by Joel Karnsmyr

How do I best track my helicopter footage over a water surface?

Joel Karnsmyr

Hi!

i have a heli-scene from above with sailing action in it. I want to track a starting line that is rock solid between two yellow markers ( already in the scene ). I wan't to parent the track to a pen tool line.

I tried with mocha but it doesn't hold it's points. The camera is moving sideways along the shot.

Skärmavbild 2014-07-22 kl. 12.10.46.png

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do I best track my helicopter footage over a water surface?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I doubt you will get any good results using automated methods since there are not enough distinct features to calculate parallax. You will most likely end up havin to matchmove it by hand.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How do I best track my helicopter footage over a water surface?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your only chance at tracking would be to just look at the yellow markers. Mocha is a plainer tracker. You have not selected any flat plains so the spline setup in your screenshot is never going to work. The plain you want to track is just between the two yellow markers so they should be the only thing in your scene that you are tracking. Everything else is moving and the parallax is changing between the buoys and everything else.

You probably would have more success just tracking with AE's point tracker but you will need to make the tracking area large enough to hold on to the yellow markers. You are also going to have to so some of the tracking by hand when boats obscure the far buoy. I would use the track scale and rotation option.

Screen Shot 2014-07-22 at 5.29.28 AM.png

You may get better results stabilizing the shot and then re-introducing the motion. My approach would be to use automatic tracking up to the point when the far buoy is obscured then skip ahead to where it is visible again, make adjustments to position, then resume the track. Once you have the shot either stabilized or tracked add your starting line artwork. One approach would be to stabilize the shot so that each buoy does not move in the shot, add the artwork, then remove the stabilizing from the footage and add the motion to the artwork. Something like this example:

The other option would be to use a shape layer and apply scale and rotation from a track. Neither approach would be completely automatic, but it can be done if your shot is smooth enough and you do some manual tracking.

• 3. Re: How do I best track my helicopter footage over a water surface?
              Joel Karnsmyr Level 1

Many thanks for good answers!

I'll try them out.