15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2014 2:04 PM by Robert Tausk

How to match sound track to movie pictures? (the sound track is shorter)

Robert Tausk

I have a sound (narrative) track of approx 1 hr which talks about the movie film. However the film I have, is a slightly different version, that is about 10 min longer then the sound track and I would like to restore the match, e.g. by something like cutting the sound track and inserting blanks, or cutting and moving the sound a couple of seconds. Note I'm totally new to Premiere V 10. I presume I would have to use start and end marks in the sound track and place the subsequent sound parts on a new sound (or narrative?) track (but it seems I will need to introduce additional silent parts, I cannot just move (drag?) the next sound track a couple of seconds to the left.
      I would guess there are a couple of easy tricks to achieve my goal.
      Thank you in advice.
      Rob Tausk

• 1. Re: How to match sound track to movie pictures? (the sound track is shorter)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert Tausk

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 10 running on? Also indicate what video card/graphics card your computer uses. Those are background questions which may or may not be needed for your original question.

1. Open Premiere Elements 10 to the Timeline workspace and import your movie file and your narration file just in project media, not to the Timeline track.

2. Then, drag your movie file to Video Track 1, and there place unnumbered markers at the spots where you need a counterpart narration to be.

(If you have a numerical keyboard, move the Timeline Indicator from spot to spot, and at each spot hit the asterisk key of that numerical keyboard.

If not, then use program's Markers/TImeLine Marker/Set Timelink Marker/Unnumbered.)

3. Next double click the narration file in the project media to open the Preview Window with the Set In and Set Out points. Then trim the narration relevant

to the movie to which it refers. Drag that segment of the narration from the Preview Window to the Narration Track at the spot designated by the unnumbered marker on the Timeline.

After you get all that done, the techniques for nudging clips into place include

a. Select the clip and, as you hold down the Alt key, hit the right or left arrow key one tap (one tap = 1 frame nudge) OR select the clip and, as you hold down the Shift + Alt keys (together), hit the right or left arrow key one tap (one tap = 5 frames nudge).

Please review and consider and then let us know if any fine tuning (customization) of the details is needed.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How to match sound track to movie pictures? (the sound track is shorter)
            Robert Tausk Level 1

Thanks for your suggestions, I will give it a try.

Additional info: I have PC Windows 8.1; Graphics card: Intel HD Graphics 4600

Note that for the particular part of the video, I have 1 sound file and 3 movie film fragments (which I had placed in correct order in the Sceneline). I have additional film fragments where the sound is correctly linked to the pictures)

Van: A.T. Romano 

Verzonden: dinsdag 22 juli 2014 20:17

Aan: Robert Tausk

Onderwerp:  How to match sound track to movie pictures? (the sound track is shorter)

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6573617#6573617>

• 3. Re: How to match sound track to movie pictures? (the sound track is shorter)
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert Tausk

Thanks for the follow up.

I would encourage you to work in the Timeline workspace rather than the Sceneline workspace. In the Timeline workspace you can see better

what you are doing and than have more control. Often things seen in the Timeline are not seen in the Sceneline workspace. Toggling between the two workspaces can be confusing and misleading.

If the soundtrack is shorter than the video portion, you may end up creating some new fill in narration clips or a few seconds of muted narration here and there as appropriate.

I will be looking forward to learning of your results when your schedule permits.

ATR

• 4. Re: How to match sound track to movie pictures? (the sound track is shorter)
                Robert Tausk Level 1

Thanks, in fact I do try and work with “Timeline” rather than Sceneline.

As to adding mute narration: how do you do that? Indeed this is one of the options I had thought of at the start of this process. I don’t think I will be adding new spoken words, as the sound tape I have records my late father and the movie spans the period 1928-1984

Verzonden: dinsdag 22 juli 2014 22:18

Onderwerp:  How to match sound track to movie pictures? (the sound track is shorter)

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6574027#6574027>

• 5. Re: How to match sound track to movie pictures? (the sound track is shorter)
                  Robert Tausk Level 1

Thanks, I have used your suggested procedure, which worked well and easily in particular to correctly align sound and movie at the start.  I don’t (yet) think that this procedure would be the best to align the rest of the film.

I think what I need to do is to play the film + sound (Timeline) and make notes at the (I think) many places where the film is longer than the sound tape, and at those places I will need to shift the sound track (insert silent part, with length which can easily be extended/shorted to achieve a match.  Or something like this? Schematically:

Movie parts:  1 – 2 – 2a – 3 – 3a – 4 ….etc

Sound parts:  1 – 2 – 3 – 4 ….. etc

Verzonden: dinsdag 22 juli 2014 22:18

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6574027#6574027>

• 6. Re: How to match sound track to movie pictures? (the sound track is shorter)
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert Tausk

Thanks for your replies.

With regard to your post numbered 4 and muting narration....You can do that will any audio clip....

1. Provided the clip's title shows Volume: Clip Volume....With the mouse cursor move down to the bottom of the clip the orange horizontal line (rubberband) that runs horizontally across the audio clip.

or

2. Highlight the audio clip, select Properties/Volume Panel expanded and take the Volume slider to - infinity level.

or

3. Highlight the audio clip, select Audio Tools/Audio Mix, and, in the panel that represents the track that the audio is on, place a check mark next to mute.

With regard to your post numbered 5 and

I think what I need to do is to play the film + sound (Timeline) and make notes at the (I think) many places where the film is longer than the sound tape, and at those places I will need to shift the sound track (insert silent part, with length which can easily be extended/shorted to achieve a match.  Or something like this? Schematically:

Movie parts:  1 – 2 – 2a – 3 – 3a – 4 ….etc

Sound parts:  1 – 2 – 3 – 4 ….. etc

The Preview Window should be a big help to you in this regard. A side note for when and if needed....when you trim a clip in the Preview Window and drag it to the Timeline, you should be able to drag on the edges of that trim to recover part or all of the clip from which it was cut.

Please review and let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: How to match sound track to movie pictures? (the sound track is shorter)
                      Robert Tausk Level 1

Well well: not easy nor trivial at all, but I haven’t given up as yet! I’ll describe my workflow below.

1.       Play video fragment, and comparing film picture and sound estimate position where I need to introduce a silent period and it length.

2.       By double click play sound “comment track” on the monitor and set end stop (I would actually prefer if the sound track could be zoomed to more easily/accurately find best position)

3.       Play mute sound clip in preview and set time length with end stop and close preview

4.       Move mute clip to comment track, which has been shortened in step 2

5.       Play main sound clip in Preview and set start point

6.       Move this sound clip to comment track.

But sometime things go slightly wrong, e.g. when moving mute or sound fragment to “comment track” I find that the video track cuts (not intended)

Another difficulty I still need to master is related to the phenomena you mentioned before, related to moving sound clips, parts which were before the starting point show up (e.g. drag edges).

I hope you can roughly follow my explanatory story (I realise writing such workflow is difficult and critically depends on the same use of words concepts definitions and jargon (note my Adobe Premiere Elements is in Dutch).

I’d much appreciate your comments (maybe another software would be friendly to the inexperienced senior citizen)

Verzonden: woensdag 23 juli 2014 18:37

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6576612#6576612>

• 8. Re: How to match sound track to movie pictures? (the sound track is shorter)
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert Tausk

I would actually prefer if the sound track could be zoomed to more easily/accurately find best position

In Premiere Elements 10, you can enhance the track view

ANmatch.JPG

You can place unnumbered markers in the Timeline as well as in the Preview Window.

Remember, to avoid disturbing the existing Timeline as you add to it, hold done the Alt key of the computer main keyboard as you drag a clip into its

Timeline space.

We will be watching for your progress.

ATR

• 9. Re: How to match sound track to movie pictures? (the sound track is shorter)
                          Robert Tausk Level 1

THANKS so much for your reply.

I had in the mean time found (minute) pointers in the preview which act as zoomers.

I’ll study the use of the markers you mention, in combination with zooming, and the layout of the screen you sent is interesting, I’ll see how I can get there. Also intriguing your arrows mentioning the same position. I must confess I ‘m often confused about the position “coordinates”, when I change the view (from timeline to preview etc.

I’ll practice the function of the Alt key

The larger part of the day I’ll be off, but sure to return.

Have a nice Sunday!

Verzonden: zondag 27 juli 2014 07:05

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6587152#6587152>

• 10. Re: How to match sound track to movie pictures? (the sound track is shorter)
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert Tausk

Good progress.

We will be watching for your progress.

The greatest creations stem from exploration and experimentation as you are doing.

ATR.

• 11. Re: How to match sound track to movie pictures? (the sound track is shorter)
                              Robert Tausk Level 1

Thanks: I ‘m pleased to be able to inform you: I’m making excellent progress: getting the hang of it (I think you would call it).

I’m just now editing a film part of a sister of mine age 1 year in  1933, and my father’s spoken comments from 1980;  and today I visited her in an old peoples home where she is badly suffering from fast progressing dementia. I’ve promised relatives, I’ll try and have a DVD of the period 1928-1985 ready in 3 weeks (for a small reunion). The result can’t be perfect, but I’m now hopeful it will be acceptable.

Much appreciated your advice and support! Great (though it took me some time to assess to contents/contexts of your comments)

Rob Tausk

Verzonden: zondag 27 juli 2014 19:17

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6588240#6588240>

• 12. Re: How to match sound track to movie pictures? (the sound track is shorter)
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert Tausk

I think the Premiere Elements shines particularly in making it possible to capture and share the family moments that are so important to us.

The family reunion in 3 weeks will be made even more special with your video presentation with the thought and love that you put into it.

Keep up the good work.

ATR

• 13. Re: How to match sound track to movie pictures? (the sound track is shorter)
                                  Robert Tausk Level 1

Dear Romano, this is just to let you know, I’m making good progress, though it has taken many hours (or days if you like).

My initial problem as you may recall was matching a sound track and a number of different films, they came to my via different sources (media) and the 1st hurdle was to match them: the movie parts where longer then the sound tracks. Thus the 1st approach was to introduce mute clips in the sound track. But as I made more progress, it appeared rather more systematic then erratic. This pointed a.o. to different speeds. Starting all over again the best solution was to 1st increase the speed of the movie fragments by some 16% (varied a bit between different movies). Changing the speed of the sound track gave awful results (so I assumed the sound track to be approximately correct (alternatively I probably could have used changing the speed of the sound track while keep the sound frequency, tone).  Subsequently only few mute clips were required. I one special case I had to split a movie into 2 parts and had to apply slightly different speed corrections!

Thanks again, and best regards

Rob Tausk

Verzonden: zondag 27 juli 2014 21:40

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6588418#6588418>

• 14. Re: How to match sound track to movie pictures? (the sound track is shorter)
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert Tausk

You are making great progress as evidenced by the fact that you are now molding basic information into your own style and creating as you go.

You may be beyond the following, but I will post it for your consideration for if and when ever needed.

When you are trying to achieve fast or slow motion effects with Time Stretch, you can gain some limited success by selecting Maintain Audio Pitch in the Time Stretch dialog where you are setting the Speed %. You might be interested in how to minimize degraded or distorted audio when applying fast motion effect as described in the following

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Time Stetch - Fast Motion Without Degraded or Distorted Audio

Many thanks for the update. Keep up the great work.

Best wishes

ATR

• 15. Re: How to match sound track to movie pictures? (the sound track is shorter)
                                      Robert Tausk Level 1

Thanks, your suggestion is close to what I need; I’ll give it a try

Verzonden: woensdag 6 augustus 2014 22:51

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6617979#6617979>