2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2014 6:20 AM by DavePinMinn

Adding memory to laptop to speed up image stacking?

DavePinMinn Level 1

I've got a Toshiba X505-S870 laptop that's a few years old.  I5-720 with 8GB of memory.  Windows 7 64-bit with SP1. 

Doing photomerge to stack images is very slow.  Even though they're jpegs, and there are only 6 or 8 of them (from a D800), it's quite slow.  When I check the task manager, it's using all 8 gig of memory.

Actually, in general, with LR5.5 and PS CC 2014 running, it seems to chew up all the 8GB.

I can pretty easily increase the memory to 16GB.  Thoughts on whether or not that'll make a significant improvement in performance?

• 1. Re: Adding memory to laptop to speed up image stacking?
          Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Image staking requires a LOT of resources.  At a minimum, you need 16 GB to run PS and LR5.  I don't know if this will improve performance enough though.

Nancy O.

• 2. Re: Adding memory to laptop to speed up image stacking?
            DavePinMinn Level 1

Thanks Nancy.  I had/have the same reservation.  But, since laptops have so LITTLE that can be upgraded I decided to give it a try.

I hadn't given it much thought, but I was looking at laptops the other day and came across this in a review of an Alienware gaming laptop (about $3000).  Paraphrasing:  "This laptop should give you good gaming performance for at least 2 years"

HUH?  We're now at the point where $3000 buys 2 years of adequate performance?

Anyhow, it seems to me that CC is absolutely brutal on CPUs and memory.  I'm not sure whether LR or PS2014 will beat up a graphics card hugely, but I've noticed that my desktop, running quad-core at 3.9 GHz with 24 GB of memory and an SSD for O/S, LR catalog, and so on, has taken a significant performance hit with the latest versions.  A rebuild is in the future...  But, I"d like to keep the laptop going for a little while yet.