16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2014 12:46 PM by ssprengel

How to create 32 bit TIFF from .DNG?

Alex LK Level 1

I know how to create 32 bit TIFF files from composited HDR images, but is it possible to do this with just a single (non-bracketed) raw exposure thats been converted to .dng?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How to create 32 bit TIFF from .DNG?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No, Lightroom does not have that option. You would need Photoshop or some other application that produces 32-bit images in order to do that.

• 2. Re: How to create 32 bit TIFF from .DNG?
            Jeff Schewe Level 5

Jim is correct...you would need to use an HDR program such as HDR Pro in Photoshop. But, what you think you want to do won't really do you much good. If you start with a single raw file (12-bit or 14-bit) you don't have an HDR range of tones so having a 32-bit version of that raw file won't get you anything more than what you can get out of the single raw file.

• 3. Re: How to create 32 bit TIFF from .DNG?
              Alex LK Level 1

Thank you, Jeff. That was helpful. My raw files are in fact 16-bit by default and I was hoping I'd be able to pull more data out of them by converting to 32-bit, since I'm editing concert photos and need to retrieve as much detail in the shadows as possible.  Is the sensor just not producing that much data for a single file? Out of curiosity, what exactly is the limiting factor here? (aside from the obvious fact that the image is not an HDR composite) 

In regards to Jim's answer, I never said I was trying to do this in Lightroom.  I figured that since I posted this thread in the Camera Raw forums, it would be obvious that I was trying to do this within Camera Raw & Photoshop (which IS how I composite my HDR shots), but maybe I should have specified.

• 4. Re: How to create 32 bit TIFF from .DNG?
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What camera are you using that produces 16-bit raw files?  Like Jeff said, 12 and 14 bits is the normal sensor bit-depth.

Can you post one of your raw files?  Programs can analyze the data and tell how many significant bits of data there are.

Upload to DropBox.com and post a public download link.

• 5. Re: How to create 32 bit TIFF from .DNG?

No, that was my mistake. I guess I follow too many forums. Sorry.

• 6. Re: How to create 32 bit TIFF from .DNG?
                    Alex LK Level 1

Upon further inspection, the raw files as they come off the camera (.ARW because its a Sony) are in fact 16-bit depth. However, when I convert them to dng they drop down to 14.

• 7. Re: How to create 32 bit TIFF from .DNG?
                      Level 5

There's a dedicated DNG forum too:

Digital Negative (DNG)

• 8. Re: How to create 32 bit TIFF from .DNG?

What camera model?

• 9. Re: How to create 32 bit TIFF from .DNG?

That's what I'd like to know. I wasn't aware of any camera that produces true 16 bit images.

• 10. Re: How to create 32 bit TIFF from .DNG?
                            Robert Shomler Level 4

Alex LK wrote:

... I'm editing concert photos and need to retrieve as much detail in the shadows as possible...

You might try making two (or more) camera raw edits of a photo: one for normal exposure, another bring out shadows (while blowing highlights).  Then combine them appropriately masked in PS.  I've done this with some theatre stage photos, particularly where follow spots on performers set an overall exposure limit.  Not HDR, but this technique has produced some useful photos.  Another approach is to use ACR's selective editing tools to bring up selective shadow detail (and add noise reduction there if needed).

• 11. Re: How to create 32 bit TIFF from .DNG?
                              Alex LK Level 1

Sony RX10. Nowhere near professional, I know.  But when I check the metadata in Bridge, Lightroom or anywhere else, it says 16-bit in ARW and when I convert to DNG it becomes 14-bit.

Since this thread got started, I've probably edited about 60 shots. This was technically an outdoor music festival, and it was the first time Ive done something like this. So now with a bit of practice, I've gotten pretty good at pulling out what I want.

The only area where I get into trouble is from the sets that were at night, pretty much anything after 7:00 pm or so. The RX10, while a great camera for certain things, doesn't have particularly amazing ISO. I'm making it work, but its far form ideal.  My initial thought from my HDR experience, is that for these darker, shots I might be able to convert the raw file to 32-bit to have more to play with. Robert's idea is a good one, but seems a bit time consuming, especially if I have a few hundred shots to edit that I selected out of the roughly 2,000 that I shot. However, I'll keep it in mind if there's a few I'm really struggling with.

• 12. Re: How to create 32 bit TIFF from .DNG?
                                Alex LK Level 1

JimHess wrote:

That's what I'd like to know. I wasn't aware of any camera that produces true 16 bit images.

Perhaps this is where the discrepancy is. You guys know more than me...are there "true" 16 bit images vs. "not true" 16 bit images?

If so, why?

• 13. Re: How to create 32 bit TIFF from .DNG?
                                  Robert Shomler Level 4

16-bits is the number of bits per color channel (you'll see this "bits per channel" in the depth selection in ACR's workflow options).  A camera may have 10, 12 or 14 bits per pixel.  ACR will demosaic these from the camera's raw data and map them into 16-bit R, G, & B channels to be opened into Photoshop or saved (tiff, psd).

• 14. Re: How to create 32 bit TIFF from .DNG?
                                    Alex LK Level 1

Robert Shomler wrote:

16-bits is the number of bits per color channel (you'll see this "bits per channel" in the depth selection in ACR's workflow options).  A camera may have 10, 12 or 14 bits per pixel.  ACR will demosaic these from the camera's raw data and map them into 16-bit R, G, & B channels to be opened into Photoshop or saved (tiff, psd).

Wasnt aware of this. Why is the camera only able to produce a fraction of the total 16-bit depth?  Also, does this mean that if an image were 14/16 it would become 28/32 when converted?

• 15. Re: How to create 32 bit TIFF from .DNG?
                                      Robert Shomler Level 4

Alex LK wrote:

... Why is the camera only able to produce a fraction of the total 16-bit depth?  Also, does this mean that if an image were 14/16 it would become 28/32 when converted?

The 16 bit channel is a carrier -- a standard 16-bit element.  The information content of those data bits depends on the source data; that is, the camera sensor.  A 16-bit container does not mean that any and all data placed therein has 16 bits of usable data.  Will an increase or decrease of 1 value in a range of 4096 values (12-bit) actually represent useful image data -- a real light level difference -- or just noise?   Larger, newer, and often more costly camera systems can discriminate between a greater number of steps from zero to maximum value; those that can discern a non-noise light level difference in a range up to 4096 (0 to 4095) use 12-bits; those that discriminate more than 4096 levels will require more than 12 bits.  I'm not a camera expert; but my guess would be that either there is limited if any need for 16 bits of camera sensor data capture (more than 32K steps in range) or that a camera providing such useable precision would be more expensive than the value of the added precision.

• 16. Re: How to create 32 bit TIFF from .DNG?

The Sony RX10 is a 14-bit camera  Here is a RawDigger screenshot that illustrates this:

2014-07-24_142822.png