2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2014 5:15 AM by elDudereno

Behavior of GRACoL white in Photoshop Channels

elDudereno Level 3

My company has recently switched to GRACoL 2006 from SWOP as part of our G7 initiative. Everything is lovely EXCEPT in Photoshop, when working in channels, white = 1% of whatever channel you are in.

1. Set color to GRACoL

Screen shot 2014-07-22 at 11.22.55 AM.png

2. Make a new CMYK document in Photoshop.

3. Go to the Channels palette, choose any channel and paint into it with pure white.

Screen shot 2014-07-22 at 12.28.20 PM.png

Screen shot 2014-07-22 at 12.30.14 PM.png

Screen shot 2014-07-22 at 12.30.31 PM.png

The result is 1% of whichever channel you were in. You can use levels to make it more visible.

Screen shot 2014-07-22 at 12.34.12 PM.png

You will not get this result painting with the same white in your layers. You will not get this result if you are using SWOP.

If you are in your channels and you select all and delete to bring up your fill dialogue (on a flattened image) using your White foreground or background color will get you a 1% fill. Using the White option from the dialogue results in actual white.

Screen shot 2014-07-22 at 12.36.55 PM.png

My users have reason to work in the channels palette, I cannot figure out any way to get around this.  I am assuming that this is the result of GRACoL having a LAB value for white that is not 100.0.0.  In the layers (the normal work space) Photoshop is smart enough to know that the result I want is 0 ink coverage when I use white, but for some reason, this doesn't work inside of channels. Is there a setting buried somewhere that could fix this? Will I have to get a customized version of GRACoL with 100.0.0 LAB for white?  I'm at a loss.

• 1. Re: Behavior of GRACoL white in Photoshop Channels
          jdanek Level 4

What happens when you try different Rendering Intents in Color Settings ( besides Relative Colorimetric )?  Also, I see you do not have "Desaturate Monitor Color" selected.  What happens when you select that?  It may be a matter of trial and error before you find a solution.  I can't think of anything else except to return to SWOP.  Have you asked the geniuses at Adobe?

• 2. Re: Behavior of GRACoL white in Photoshop Channels
            elDudereno Level 3

I was able to solve the problem. I was under the mistaken impression that my icc profile would move with my .csf file. (I was given some bad advice.) So when I loaded my .csf file in bridge it didn't use the GRACoL2006 icc I had requested, it just RENAMED the stock GRACoL2004 and used it, without so much as a warning dialogue.

When I had the .icc profile pushed to the proper location for all users, and made a new .csf that used the correct .icc everything seems fine. We'll continue to test for a bit, but I think we are in the clear.

Honestly, if it wasn't for this bazaar artifact, I would have never known that I wasn't using the right .icc.