6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2014 4:26 PM by IsakTen

Can we sign a PDF with AD ID & date & time stamp?

Arpan_IT

Can we sign a PDF with AD ID & date & time stamp?

• 1. Re: Can we sign a PDF with AD ID & date & time stamp?
          IsakTen Level 4

I do not understand what Ad-ID has to do with signatures. I do not know much about Ad-ID technology but AFAIK it is used to identify assets that are external to the IDs. A PDF file can be one of such assets but I do not understand what kind of signatures you're talking about.

• 2. Re: Can we sign a PDF with AD ID & date & time stamp?
            Arpan_IT Level 1

I want to authenticate PDF from Windows login(AD login ID), the signature must have AD ID & timestamp, this way multiple users can sign PDF's

• 3. Re: Can we sign a PDF with AD ID & date & time stamp?
              Arpan_IT Level 1

I want to authenticate PDF from Windows login(AD login ID), the signature must have AD ID & timestamp, this way multiple users can sign PDF's

• 4. Re: Can we sign a PDF with AD ID & date & time stamp?
                IsakTen Level 4

OK. So, by AD ID you mean your Windows user password, right? What does it have to do with authenticating PDFs? When you say "authenticate PDF". do you mean restricted opening of a PDF (encryption) or proving that it has not been changed (signing). In the latter case what kind of signature do you have in mind: digital signature (with a certificate) or eSignature (EchoSign)?

The only scenario that makes sense to me is that you want to encrypt PDF in such a way that only people with certain user IDs can open it. Is this correct? This is encryption, not signing. And encryption does not have timestamps.

If you elaborate on the workflow you want to achieve providing as many details as you can, then we can advise you. So far I do not understand what you're trying to accomplish.

• 5. Re: Can we sign a PDF with AD ID & date & time stamp?
                  Arpan_IT Level 1

Yes, AD ID indeed means Windows username password,I want the PDF must show his AD ID & date-time when he/she signed the document, this is to ensure that the signature is truly done by the person himself & is not forged.I do not want to restrict anyone from viewing the file.Here, the AD ID is to be used only for authentication & to stop anyone from doing other's signature.Is there anyway to accomplish this or any other way you suggest?kindly provide the steps.

• 6. Re: Can we sign a PDF with AD ID & date & time stamp?
                    IsakTen Level 4

So what you really want is for your signature's appearance to contain user's ID and signing time. To do that you sign PDF with a regular digital signature and apply custom appearance to it. The "Sign" dialog contains "Appearance" field that has a drop-down list on the right which lists all available appearances and a "Create New Appearance" button. The standard/default signature appearance already contains signing time. You can create a custom appearance that includes additional information that you want to appear there. If you want your username to appear in the signature appearance you create an image file that contains your username and add this image to your custom appearance.

Multiple users can definitely sign the same PDF. Usually the signing certificate owner's name appears in the certificate itself and is included in the standard/default signature appearance. This is not Windows username but still identifies the signer, IMO better than Windows username. I do not think you want to disclose your password by placing it in the signature appearance.

You keep mixing two completely different and unrelated concepts: authentication and signing. I still do not understand what exactly you mean by "authentication". It has nothing to do with signature.