3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2014 9:28 AM by jbowden

how do I start a video at 2 seconds?

richardELeach Level 1

I imported a video file and no matter what I do I'm unable to get it to start at 2 seconds on the timeline.

The Playback options are seemingly ignored, I've tried using the Play and the Play From.... and the video continues to only play from the very start of the timeline.

Anyone know how this is done, or is it a bug?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

• 1. Re: how do I start a video at 2 seconds?
          jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi Rich,

You could do this with Javascript. There's actually a new code snippet that should help you with this, in the Actions panel/Video section: Play Video From

The code looks like this:

sym.$("your_video_element")[0].currentTime = 2; // sets the start point for the video element to 2 seconds, and then add the next line...

sym.$("your_video_element")[0].play(); // this plays the video element

Or instead, you could add a Play action to the video element by clicking the plus button below the video element in the timeline, to the right of the Playback label:

Screen Shot 2014-07-22 at 3.35.43 PM.png

Select Play From, and then enter 2 in the dialog timecode field to indicate 2 seconds.

hth,

Joe

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: how do I start a video at 2 seconds?
            richardELeach Level 1

... actually I discovered the real problem, I had the video set to Autoplay, and with that selection checked it always set the video to start at the beginning of the timeline. With Autoplay un-selected the instructions described in the docs worked fine. Maybe it's worth an honorable mention in the docs about this?

Although I have to say Joe, I'm quickly learning the value of driving all of these actions via scripting, so I copied your instructions for future use.

Thanks!

Rich

• 3. Re: how do I start a video at 2 seconds?
              jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi Rich,

Yes, that is correct - unless the currentTime property is specified, autoplay will always play video element from its own time zero. This is the expectation for autoplay with video in standard HTML5.

So in general, either check Autoplay in a video element's properties to play it from the beginning, or use a play action or Javascript to initiate playback and/or customize the start time or other scriptable properties, and/or add controls to allow the user to initiate playback and control the video. Many choices to choose from but using Javascript to control things does indeed open up the possibilities.

Thanks,

Joe