8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2014 8:44 AM by Ziji Man

AE Warning - Disk Cache???

Ziji Man Level 1

Untitled-1.png

Why does this say my computer does not have enough space? Is AE creating tons of data every time I use it? It requires more than 16GB to just work??? So confused.

I would like to move my Adobe programs to my D: drive but I'm worried this will only create more problems. But still, there's 16GB available on my C: drive and I'm getting a Warning?

I also have a separate hard drive with 236GB available, I'm just not sure how to control the Cache options (and I also don't understand exactly how much DATA that AE is creating when I use it).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

AE Warning:

Your disk cache folder is on a drive that does not have enough available space to safely store the full amount specified in your preferences. Please make more space available or go to Media & Disk Cache preferences to change the folder or maximum disk cache size. (I don't understand how AE needs more than 16GB available.)

• 1. Re: AE Warning - Disk Cache???
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Have you tried purging your caches?  What are your cache settings in AE Preferences?

• 2. Re: AE Warning - Disk Cache???
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A couple of things that I noticed right off the top. First, with only four processors and only 8 GB of RAM you probably do not want to have multiple processor rendering turned on. Second your disk cache is on your C drive. Just move the disc cash to your D drive. It's also in the preferences, just on another page. The last point is about moving your Adobe apps to your D drive. This should be in capital letters. Don't do it. It will make a mess out of just about everything.

On Dave's point, you should be purging your disk cache often. Also don't set it to be too big.

• 3. Re: AE Warning - Disk Cache???
              Ziji Man Level 1

Thanks for responding. I have to wonder why AE is putting so much data into a cache if it's just disposable nothingness. My brain would be so much happier if I understood the logic behind the cache.

Also, I did change my Cache settings (as seen in the attachment), and then it asks me about "Conformed Media Cache" and has Database and Cache options. Do I set all of these options to be in the same folder on my D: drive?

AE Cache Prefs.JPG

• 4. Re: AE Warning - Disk Cache???
                Ziji Man Level 1

THANK YOU for these tips Rick. I will definitely leave my Adobe apps on my C drive.

When I bought the computer the tech guy assured me this computer could run all these programs very well, but apparently we still live in a dishonest world. I asked for a computer that had all that I needed, but you mentioned me having "only" 4 processors, and "only" 8GB of RAM, so apparently I'm running short here.

Would you mind telling me how many processors and how many GB of RAM I need to run all of these programs like a champ? That would be very helpful information so I can look for a better computer.

• 5. Re: AE Warning - Disk Cache???
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's not that the guy was dishonest. You'd expect him to want to sell you more and bigger. In my experience, computer salespeople don't understand the horsepower required to run motion graphics software. I had a quote from a guy on a machine to run AE and C4D with only 4 GB of RAM. I was, like, "Dude, no." (Just kidding; I'm not a surfer, but I did tell them to get stuffed.)

4GB is the bare minimum required to even run AE. 8 GB is the minimum for actually running it with some semblance of pleasantness. I've got 48 GB of RAM in my work machine.

The most you can get for your money is the answer to your question. This event is good viewing: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/event/index.cfm?event=set_registered&id=2490687&loc=en_us It explains what system resources AE and Premiere use and how they use them. Very useful for building machines. This may also help: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/878520

• 6. Re: AE Warning - Disk Cache???
                    Ziji Man Level 1

Szalam - I can't thank you enough for that info. I spent about a month bouncing all over the place trying to figure out which computer to get so that I could run these programs like a champ.

I realize now I did get ripped off -- He charged me almost $1100 for a computer I could have ordered myself online for $800.

The kicker: If I had ordered it myself, I could have purchased the 8GB version with more everything for $1100.

He basically just made $300 off of me as a "consultant fee" haha

I never treat people like that so it's weird for me to get treated in that manner, not sure how that brings balance to the Universe.

• 7. Re: AE Warning - Disk Cache???
                      Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ziji Man wrote:

I never treat people like that so it's weird for me to get treated in that manner, not sure how that brings balance to the Universe.

They have to balance out all the good guys like us!

• 8. Re: AE Warning - Disk Cache???
                        Ziji Man Level 1

Contrast is an excellent teacher. If you really want to know how sweet Roses smell, first go and stick your nose in a garbage can. Just in case your taking those sweet smells for granted. haha

Thanks for the links by the way, I have a very clear picture of what kind of computer specs I need now.