15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2014 7:53 AM by MGW of Boulder

What Does "The importer reported a genetic error" mean?

MGW of Boulder Level 1

I am attempting to import a "Slide Show" from Organizer into Premiere Elements and I get this error message.

No hint as to what the problem is.

• 1. Re: What Does "The importer reported a genetic error" mean?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW of Boulder

Are you working with Elements Organizer 11 and Premiere Elements 11, both on Windows 7 64 bit?

What is your situation with regard to the integrity of the Elements Organizer 11 content? Are you popping in a disc with catalog

content and information that you have moved from one computer to another?

Also, what are you using as Output in the Elements Organizer 11 Slideshow Editor - Edit with Premiere Elements Editor or

something else?

What is the content and duration of the slideshow in the Elements Organizer 11 Slideshow Editor -

Photos, how many and pixel dimensions

Videos, how many and what formats involved

In Premiere Elements 11, what is your planned destination - DVD-VIDEO Standard or Widescreen on DVD disc or other?

Are you manually setting the project preset for Premiere Elements before you given the Output command in the Elements Organizer

Slideshow Editor?

Let us start here and then decide what next. Your answers will help us to plan troubleshooting strategy.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: What Does "The importer reported a genetic error" mean?
            MGW of Boulder Level 1

Photoshop Elements 11 with Organizer developed Slide Show

Premier Elements 11

Running Under MS Windows 7 Professional

Intel i7-2920XM 2.50GHz

Quadro 2000 GPU with 135MHz Clock

Elements Organizer 11 content is now good.  Repair and Optimize both run and complete.  No missing files and no missing icons.

Catalog is on my 500GB hard drive that has nearly 180 GB free.

Output of the Elements Organizer 11 Slideshow Editor is to Premiere Elements Editor

The Pixel dimensions of the photos vary all over the place.  However, the same slide show was previously handled by the Premier Elements Editor. 

That was at 720 but I want to take it to HD and output to Blu-Ray

Content is Photos, Music, Graphics and Captions.  Duration for the segment I tried to input was about 15 minutes.  No video clips.

Yes, I manually set the project preset for Premiere Elements before I gave the Output command in the Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor?

I took the highest setting possible.  HD at 60 fps.

But, letting Organizer launch of the Premier Editor at my default 1080i 29.97 frames/second results in the same error..

• 3. Re: What Does "The importer reported a genetic error" mean?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW

This may be at the core of your issue

Yes, I manually set the project preset for Premiere Elements before I gave the Output command in the Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor?

I took the highest setting possible.  HD at 60 fps.

I need to road test it to see if it will trigger the Premiere Elements error message that you are getting.

Good idea manually setting the Premiere Elements project preset before you output the Elements Organizer slideshow to it. However, you do not set the project preset for HD at 60 fps (that sounds like NTSC AVCHD AVCHD 1080p60). You set it to match the properties of the media to be imported. But, I still do not know the properties of your source files, neither 4:3 or 16:9 or 3:2 as well as actual pixel dimensions even if the range all over the place.

What is your planned output from Premiere Elements, file saved to computer hard drive or burn to Blu-ray disc?

Right now I am inclined to have you to pre-set the Premiere Elements project preset to NTSC DV Widescreen if you are dealing with 16:9 photos and then get into your HD 16:9 plans in the export if applicable. You would be better served creating your slideshow just in Premiere Elements.

Back soon...

ATR

• 4. Re: What Does "The importer reported a genetic error" mean?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW

Not that I am endorsing or not endorsing your particular choice of Premiere Elements project preset, I have road tested by thought and have not gotten

the import error that you are getting by taking a 4:3 or16:9 slideshow into Premiere Elements with the Project Preset = NTSC AVCHD AVCHD 1080p60.

So, let us try deleting both the Elements Organizer 12 and Premiere Elements 11 settings files.

Premiere Elements 11

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 11.0 Folder in which the

Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

Elements Organizer 11

Local Disc C

Users

Owner AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and in the Organizer Folder is the psa.prf file that you disable by renaming from psa.prf to psa.prfOLD or delete.

I would start with the Elements Organizer 11 settings file.

We will be watching for your results. Any questions or need clarification, please let us know.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: What Does "The importer reported a genetic error" mean?
                  MGW of Boulder Level 1

Input is mostly Digital Photos that are 4x6 format.  Very few will be 16x9 aspect ratio.  However, when one does a slide show with pan and zoom in Organizer, the output fills up the HD screen.

The planned output from Premiere Elements is to burn Blu-ray disc.  That is where I am taking nearly all of my output now.

For this reason, I am now starting to crop much of my digital photo input with a 16x9 aspect ratio.  However, sometimes going from 4x3 to 16x9 can sometimes be problematic. 

Yep I am also inclined to pre-set the Premiere Elements project preset to NTSC DV Widescreen even though I am mostly not dealing with 16:9 photos and then get into your HD 16:9 plans in the export.

Yes, I know I would be better served creating my slideshow just in Premiere Elements.  However, the Slideshow tool in Organizer and put together a great show with many photos is rather short order.

Yes, I plan to experiment with directly generating my slide show this way.  However, in those cases where I already have the show developed in Organizer, I would like to continue using them as my source.

• 6. Re: What Does "The importer reported a genetic error" mean?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW

Thanks for the additional background on your workflow.

Have you done both settings files deletions already? If not, looking forward to the results.

Premiere Elements is looking for a .psess file in the transfer from Elements Organizer to Premiere Elements with that Edit with Premiere Elements command, and that .psess file is supported by Premiere Elements, so no Importer Reported A Generic Error "should" be showing up.

When the transfer is made, automatically you should find a folder with slideshow individual assets and the .psess file in Project Assets. On the Timeline there is just the .psess video file. Is the program transferring the folder if not the .psess file?

Let us see how you do with the settings file target. If the problem persists, maybe time to bring in an old recollection of mine. Several versions

back I ran into a Premiere Elements Importer Reported A Generic Error every time I tried to import anything into the project via Add Media/Files and Folders. I recall that the Elements Organizer was not obviously involved. I finally found the answer, and it was unexpected. And, it was to create a new Elements Organizer catalog.

Looking forward to your progress.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 7. Re: What Does "The importer reported a genetic error" mean?
                      MGW of Boulder Level 1

OK, I found the “PSA.prf” file and renamed it to psaold.prf.

• 8. Re: What Does "The importer reported a genetic error" mean?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW

Thanks.

If that phase does not work, please try as described psa.prf to psa.prfOLD instead of your psaold.prf. I know psa.prfOLD works, not sure about your variation.

There was one case recently with another feature where the format of the renamed made a difference.

Looking forward to the results. Elements Organizer and Premiere Elements settings files.

ATR

• 9. Re: What Does "The importer reported a genetic error" mean?
                          MGW of Boulder Level 1

I get the same error when I have Organizer launch Premiere Elements editor with my Organizer Slide Show project.

• 10. Re: What Does "The importer reported a genetic error" mean?
                            MGW of Boulder Level 1

The only thing in the Premiere Elements 11 “11” folder is a “Trace Database.txt” file.

It has the following contents.

ASL.ResourceUtils.GetLanguageIDFromRegistry                1              5

FE.WinInit.LocPlugins     1              5

• 11. Re: What Does "The importer reported a genetic error" mean?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW

Please look again in the path the I gave you for the Premiere Elements 11 Settings File. Do you have the Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active. If you have, then you must have detoured off the path given.

Path.JPG

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: What Does "The importer reported a genetic error" mean?
                                MGW of Boulder Level 1

The problem has to do with a particular set of Organizer Slide Show objects.  They are not importing for some reason. 

My Slide Shows of both earlier and later vintage seem to import to the Premiere Elements Editor OK.  I took my “psa.prf” file back to it’s correct name.

Project Settings of HD1080i at 29.97 frames per second with HDV capture and

Now to play with the Slide Show Files that will not import to the Premiere Elements Editor.

• 13. Re: What Does "The importer reported a genetic error" mean?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW

Thanks for the update.

If you want to post one of the problem files (as a Dropbox link in the thread), I would be glad to do some road testing with it for you.

Please remind me - what are the slideshow files - photos and videos or just photos. Are any of the photos edited in Photoshop where

the CMYK color profile might have been applied? In reflection that probably is not it, since the CMYK color profile has its problems in

Photoshop Elements as well as Premiere Elements.

Looking forward to your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 14. Re: What Does "The importer reported a genetic error" mean?
                                    MGW of Boulder Level 1

slideshow files are just photos and audio

no CMYK color profile applied that I know of

I’m checking one of the Slideshow object for errors.

• 15. Re: What Does "The importer reported a genetic error" mean?
                                      MGW of Boulder Level 1

I am now convinced that the error results from something in the Organizer Slide Show project.  Most likely a reference to a resource (like and audio caption) that can no longer be found.  Organizer Slide Show is not very good at finding things that have been relocated.

Slide Show projects are not very durable and there is no Archive Tool for them.  Export to a PrE project and archiving it is the best way to "hold on" to the content.