4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2014 12:18 PM by supersarah1

Indexing help

supersarah1

I am looking for a plug in that 1. doesn't require all the documents in a book to be open when creating a index and 2. does not automatically create and index based on popular words.  Does such a thing exist?

• 1. Re: Indexing help
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't know of such a plugin, but I'm curious how you think it would be possible to build an index without opening the documents, either all at once, or one at a time.

• 2. Re: Indexing help
            supersarah1 Level 1

No, I understand that atleast 1 of the documents needs to be open, however I have 18 documents in my book ( it’s a 672 page catalog actually, each document is a separate section of the catalog) and the files are so large that if I have them all open at once (even with the fancy dancy computer that I have) it causes my programs to either freeze or crash.  If I could just have the book open and then index the documents 1 at a time that would be lovely.

From my explorations in Indesign it did not appear that you could do that.  f I am wrong please let me know.

Sarah McCarriar

Marketing, Catalog

Kleen-Rite Corporation

Ph: 717-684-6721

<mailto:sarah@kleen-ritecorp.com> sarah@kleen-ritecorp.com

<http://www.kleen-ritecorp.com> www.kleen-ritecorp.com

• 3. Re: Indexing help
              SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If it's completely impossible to create a full index of your catalog without crashing, here's a rough workaround.

Index each section separately, and copy the eighteen resultant indexes on under the next into Excel. Sort the list, copy it back to your catalog and apply formatting.

• 4. Re: Indexing help
                supersarah1 Level 1

oof that sounds like the extra work that i was trying to avoid. but that so far has been the best solution i have come across.

thanks SRiegel!!