3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2014 10:37 AM by Szalam

Can't export with FLV

Egil Arntzen Level 1

I have just made a video in AE that I exported as a high-res, using Quicktime (.mov) and is almost 9 GB.
      When I tried to render it for web using FLV (for instance), I discovered that I am missing several formats on my list??
      I want to upload this on youtube and vimeo.
      My comp settings are HD TV 1080 24, (1920x1080 px).

I am using AE CC on a mac 10.8.5.

Please help!

Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 4.42.47 PM.png

• 1. Re: Can't export with FLV
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

FLV is dead. Use H.264.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Can't export with FLV
            Egil Arntzen Level 1

Ok, thanks! I'll try that. Should I still use Quicktime though?
            Aren't there a lot fewer options than it used to be? Or does this look correct to you?

• 3. Re: Can't export with FLV
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

QuickTime is just a container format. It can hold any of dozens of codecs. You could have a QuickTime encoded in Animation, PNG, JPG, or h.264 (among others).

My workflow is to render from After Effects into a lossless (or nearly lossless) codec such as Cineform or DNxHD or QuckTime with the PNG codec or QuickTime with the Photo-JPEG codec and then use the Adobe Media Encoder to create the final deliverable (H.264, WMV, MP4, FLV, etc.)

After Effects is not good at creating compressed video like H.264. The Adobe Media Encoder is much better.

That's why in CC, the AE team removed such things from the default list and in CC 2014, removed the option entirely. (In your preferences, if you have CC - not CC 2014, you can enable the deprecated codecs if you MUST render an H.264 from AE directly.)