12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2014 3:41 PM by Levalt

Premiere Elements 11. Can't open Project (PREL file) in Windows 8.1.

Levalt Level 1

I have created Project (PREL file) in Premiere Elements 11 in Windows 7 Professional environment. I was able to open it with no problem.

Now I have Windows 8.1. When I am trying to open this project, I have a pop-up saying 'This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed.'

HELP!!!!!

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Can't open Project (PREL file) in Windows 8.1.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Levalt

I am assuming that Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are on two different computers.

To use your Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 project in Premiere Elements 11 Windows 8.1, you need to have transferred the project.prel file as well as the source media that went into that project. To do that, best archive the Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 project using File Menu/Project Archiver/Copy option. Transfer the resulting Copied Folder to a USB Flash Drive. Open the Copied Folder on Windows 8.1, right click the project.prel file there, select Open With, and then Premiere Elements 11.

Please tell us what you actually did in the path that led to you obtaining the "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed"?

We will be watching for your details in order to decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Can't open Project (PREL file) in Windows 8.1.
            Levalt Level 1

Thank you!!

Yes, you are right. I just tried to open the Project (PREL file) that I copied from my old computer to the new one with Windows 8.1.

I got back to my old computer and can't find source files.. I may have deleted them assuming that I do not need them since all files are inside the Project file.

I tried to open the Project on my old computer in Windows 7 environment and could not do it. PE 11 asks to specify the source files...

I am lucky that I have this project (with music, special effects, menu) burned on the disk. Just wanted to have all on my new computer.

Good lesson for me: keep all supporting files and PREL file.

Still I am honestly surprised that PE 11 can't open project with no supporting files in pace. Is PE 12 any better?

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Can't open Project (PREL file) in Windows 8.1.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Levalt

Thanks for the reply.

When you import source media into a Premiere Elements (any version), you do not import the actual media. What you have in the project's media are copies of the originals that are stored at your designated hard drive location. But, the project needs to trace back to those originals at the save location that they were when they were imported into the project. If you move those source media, delete them, or even rename them or the folder that they are in, you will run into some nasty media reconnect issues. At that point, the "Where is the file....?" message that you get when you try to reopen the saved closed project will be major asset in doing the reconnects. Alternately, you can use the Replace Footage feature for the reconnects.

The following links go to the above factors...

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7d cb.html

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-replace-footage.html

Troubleshoot damaged projects | Adobe Premiere Elements

Please do not hesitate to ask if you additional questions on this or need clarification on anything written.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Can't open Project (PREL file) in Windows 8.1.
                Levalt Level 1

Thank you very much!

It seems that Premiere Elements is not that sophisticated as I thought.. :-)

What if I have 1000 clips and want to import all of them for future editing. I f I import all of them they will form a long line and it sill be difficult to work on them,

Is it possible to import say 20 clips work on them, save as project. Open this project, add more clips, work on them, save as a project that contains more clips, etc. until all clips I want to include into the project are digested?

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Can't open Project (PREL file) in Windows 8.1.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Levalt

Often you see the recommendation to work a large project as smaller individual projects and combine the exports from each into one grand project.

Just keep your project settings compatible from project to project and then finally into one grand project.

You could proceed as you have described, importing just the media for the present session - save close the project - reopen it - add more media for the second session and so on.

One feature of the program that you should consider is creating folders for your imports in Project Assets for a given project.

a. right click a blank area in Project Assets and select New Folder from the drop down list

or

b. click on the Panel Options icon (top right of Project Assets) and from the drop down list select New Folder

If you run into any problems opening and closing these folders in Project Assets, please let me know, and I will

do deeper with the descriptions.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Can't open Project (PREL file) in Windows 8.1.
                    Levalt Level 1

Thank you !

I like the approach to have parts of the project in separate folders since it is much easier to work on not too many clips at the same time.

As a result I will have many PREL files: 1.prel, 2.prel, ....., n.prel

How can I combine all of them in one Final.prel file?

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Can't open Project (PREL file) in Windows 8.1.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Levalt

What is the Premiere Elements project preset that will govern all these individual projects?

From that we can make suggestion on best export setting for each of the individual projects whose export

will be going into the grand project as source media.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Can't open Project (PREL file) in Windows 8.1.
                        Levalt Level 1

Hi ATR,

I greatly appreciate your input. Unfortunately I do not have a great experience in movie editing using PE 11.

Therefore do not quite understand your question: 'What is the Premiere Elements project preset that will govern all these individual projects?'

Basically what I was asking is: I create numerous PREL files and keep them  together with their source files in a separate directories.

For example, I have a set of source files with the corresponding Part1.PREL file in c:\project_part1 directory.  I have another set of source files with the corresponding Part2.PREL file in c:\project_part2 directory and so on.

It means that for the project I have N PREL files with corresponding source files in N directories under c: drive. All of them are a part of one BIG Project. How can I combine all N small projects in one FINAL project?

In other words, how can I have the FINAL set of source files and FINAL.PREL file in c:\project_FINAL directory?

Just to copy edited source files from

c:\project_part1,  c:\project_part2, etc. to  c:\project_FINAL directory,

disregard Part1.PREL, Part2.PREL, etc.. create FINAL.PREL in c:\project_FINAL?

I will need the FINAL set of source files and FINAL PREL file from this directory to record the FINAL Project to AVCHD disk or Blu-ray disk.

Is my understanding correct?

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Can't open Project (PREL file) in Windows 8.1.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Levalt

From what you wrote, this is my understanding.

For each of your projects,  you set up a special save location for the project file (project.prel) and the source media that go into that particular project.

If you have 12 projects,  for each, you have a special save location (the project.file source media combo.)

Each of those 12 projects needs to be exported to a file saved to the computer hard drive. One suggestion might be is to save the export from each into a saved location name Grand Project Source Media.

It is these 12 exports that are going to be imported into the Grand Final product which will be outputted as wanted. At this point, those exports are your source media that needs to stay in contact with the grand projects. The source media that went into the individual 12 projects are out of the equation at this point.

But, back to the point that I was trying to get at. Each of those 12 projects that you start with has to have project settings (aka project preset). And, those project settings should match the properties of whatever you are putting on the Timeline of the each project. The project settings direct the program to set the right space in the Edit area monitor for editing so that you do not have black borders, pixel aspect ratio problems, and the like. So, I want to make sure that you have the right project settings for each project.

Then you need to export the TImeline content from each of those projects. Ideally the export settings should be consistent with the source media properties and the project settings. The ideal is to have this to be the case for all 12 projects.  Cannot advise you about these settings without details...

What is the project preset for the 12 starting project...NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 or something else?

If that is your project preset, what are your source media 1080i30, 1080p30, or something else?

I am suspecting that each individual project will be exported to a HD export 1920 x 1080 which might be a Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets set to maybe a .m2t file, maybe .mp4 file. It is all going to depend on a coordinated plan.

If you still have questions and need clarification about the above, do not hesitate to ask. I will explain another way if necessary.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Can't open Project (PREL file) in Windows 8.1.
                            Levalt Level 1

Thank you for the clarification!

I have all video clips done in *.MTS format that corresponds to 1920x1080/60i (30 frames per second, 17 mb per second) and I burn the project in AVCHD format on DVD. It was OK for a small project, but I am not sure about a big one.. I may have to buy a Blu-ray burner...

I definitely will have a LOT of specific question s for you when I start working on my next project.

By the way, have you ever used MS Windows Movie Maker. Does it have any value if compared to Adobe PE?

Lev.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Can't open Project (PREL file) in Windows 8.1.
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Levalt

Thanks for the update.

You can do your burn to AVCHD on DVD, using either DVD spec'd for 4.7 GB/120 minutes or DVD spec'd for 8.5 GB/240 minutes.

In reality the 4.7 GB is 4.38 GB, and the 8.5 GB is 7.95 GB.

The Movie Maker (think numbered 2012) does not have all the features as Premiere Elements, but it is a handy program to use

a. Often can convert videos from problem video to OK video which Premiere Elements can use.

b. You can get .mp4 as well as .wmv exports

c. I do not know for sure, but I do not believe that Movie Maker supports import of AVCHD.mts, so likely a format conversion is needed before importing the AVCHD.mts into Movie Maker.

d. This latest version even comes with a Video Stabilizer if you open Movie Maker 2012 on Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit.

e. It does not have a built into its software burn to disc feature.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks for all the follow ups.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Can't open Project (PREL file) in Windows 8.1.
                                Levalt Level 1

Thanks!

I will keep you in the loop and I am looking forward to your answers to my future questions.