1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 23, 2014 4:06 PM by Marie_D

How do I break a paragraph inline within the same layer?

Richard Horst

First off, for some background, I'm working on documents that need to be made accessible for users with disabilities and then converted into pdfs that also need to be accessible. The current document uses inline nested character styles to indicate sub headings (which appear inline with the subsequent copy). The problem is that while paragraph styles can be export tagged as H1, H2, H3, etc., character styles can not. What I'd like is to have one paragraph style for the subheader and another paragraph style for the inline copy that follows so I can set different export tags for the two paragraph styles. It seems, however, that setting up different paragraph styles requires a paragraph break, which puts the copy on a separate line from the subheader. So really what I need is an inline paragraph break, but I haven't been able to find any information on how to do that.

The only work around I can think of is to create a separate layer for the subheader, place that on top of the copy layer, and then indent the copy layer so that it seems to follow the subheader. This will, however, create a lot more work when I go to make the pdfs accessible, so it's probably not a good idea. Any tips or suggestions on how to accomplish my goal would be most appreciated :).

• 1. Re: How do I break a paragraph inline within the same layer?
          Marie_D Level 1

I would manually adjust the first line indent of the first line of the paragraph beneath the subheading so that it clears the text of the heading. Then select all the text in the first line of the same paragraph and set a leading of 0pt - this could also be done by creating a character style sheet with 0pt leading and applying it via a nested line style.

You would need to check that 'Apply leading to entire paragraphs' is deselected in Preferences (Type) in the first instance.