21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2014 1:52 PM by A.T. Romano

Why won't my premiere elements 12 playback correctly

Mark Owen

Windows 8, toshiba laptop,  8 gigs ram, 500 gigs hd, amd Radeon HD  8330 display, amd 4core processor, premiere elements 12. My preview display is jerky, slow and plays one frame about every 2 seconds. I know I don't have quite enough horsepower but I just want this setup to play a good as possible. Everything else actually works pretty good. Playback whether rendered or not is still jerky and sluggish. What should my screen resolution be?

• 1. Re: Why won't my premiere elements 12 playback correctly
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jerky or slow playback http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1071217

Exactly what are you editing... brand/model camera... codec... etc?

• 2. Re: Why won't my premiere elements 12 playback correctly
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Mark Owen

Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8 (assumed 64 bit).

Have you updated 12 to 12.1 yet. If not, please do do via a project's Help Menu/Update.

When you ask about screen resolution are you referring to the space in the Edit area monitor or the display resolution of the computer

monitor that you are using?

1. If the display resolution of the computer monitor, go with the native resolution according to the manufacturer of the monitor.

2. If the space in the Edit area monitor...that is determined by the project preset that is used. So, the questions that follow are:

a. What project preset is set? See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Rate, and

Pixel Aspect Ratio even if the fields look grayed out. If their is a mismatch between the project preset and the properties of the source

media, then you set the project preset manually File Menu/New/Project before you import the media into the project. See How To in

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

3. An important question becomes "What are the properties of your source media?" The quickest way to get that information is from

Brand/Model/Settings for the camera that recorded the video or best way from a video audio readout program such as MediaInfo.

4. Beside the space provided in the Edit area monitor, the Magnification should be set on Fit. And, experiment with Playback Settings

Automatic versus Highest.

Let us review and consider the above and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Why won't my premiere elements 12 playback correctly
              Mark Owen Level 1

Canon xa10, avchd, 1080x1920, 1080i, 60i fps.

• 4. Re: Why won't my premiere elements 12 playback correctly
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Mark Owen

I seem to recall another recent thread on the Canon XA10 footage. I will see if I can locate it to see where that went to.

What is your project preset for your project based on the information that you just supplied? If you do not know, please tell you the readings under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General for its Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio even if the field look grayed out.

Canon xa10, avchd, 1080x1920, 1080i, 60i fps.

NTSC AVCHD Full 1080i30 or something else? Just in case reminder, that "60i" is 60 fields per second which equates to 29.97/30 interlaced frames per second.

ATR

• 5. Re: Why won't my premiere elements 12 playback correctly
                  Mark Owen Level 1

Thanks for responding. I did realize that about 60i. The settings are exactly the same as the first clip that you drag onto the timeline or so the premiere elements documentation says.

Mode 1080i hd, time base 29.97 fps, frame size 1920x1080, square pixels, upper field first, 30 fps drop frame. By the way clips look great in media player and movie maker. Thanks

Sent from my iPad

• 6. Re: Why won't my premiere elements 12 playback correctly
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Mark Owen

With project preset confirmed to be consistent with the properties of your source media and the fact that you are viewing your Timeline content as the rendered version, then let us explore this.

What is your intended export? Whatever it is, look at the quality of the following:

Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = M2T - H.264 1920 x 1080i30

and also

Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30.

Then let us know the quality of the export at playback in one of your computer players.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Why won't my premiere elements 12 playback correctly
                      Mark Owen Level 1

I will do that thanks. For what it's worth I imported footage from a sd digital hd camcorder

( 640x480) a month ago and the preview playback was the same as avchd. I out putted it to dvd with PE and the dvd played back fine.

Sent from my iPad

• 8. Re: Why won't my premiere elements 12 playback correctly
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Mark Owen

Thanks for the reply.

This all may take us back to the Radeon HD 8330, a possible need for BadDrivers.txt file deletion, look at the previews stored in the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder (default Windows = Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0).

It would be interesting to compare the quality of the preview file generated for a given Timeline file with what the rendered file looks like at playback of the rendered Timeline in the Edit area monitor.

Looking forward to your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: Why won't my premiere elements 12 playback correctly
                          Mark Owen Level 1

Are you saying to delete the file "BadDrivers.txt"? I wasn't sure about that sentence.

Sent from my iPad

• 10. Re: Why won't my premiere elements 12 playback correctly
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Mark Owen

I thought that we might wait for the results related to playback within the project versus playback after export.

Depending on what those results indicate....

If your video card/graphics card driver is up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card (or the web site of the manufacturer of the computer) and still problems, then delete the BadDrivers.txt file.

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the Premiere Elements Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. In that Premiere Elements Folder, besides the BadDrivers.txt file, may be some folders. You do not want anything in those folders even if one of them says 12.0. All you want is the BadDrivers.txt file in the Premiere Elements Folder.

After the BadDrivers.txt file deletion, followed my the opening of Premiere Elements, the program will generate a new BadDrivers.txt file and hopefully the problems with be gone. The rationale behind deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file goes back to the days of Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and can be found in post 10 of the following thread

https://forums.adobe.com/message/3177024

Deletion of that file has been a life saver for users with versions of Premiere Elements besides 9.

ATR

• 11. Re: Why won't my premiere elements 12 playback correctly
                              Mark Owen Level 1

Understood. Thanks

Sent from my iPad

• 12. Re: Why won't my premiere elements 12 playback correctly
                                Mark Owen Level 1

Still working on comparing files. Tried importing one file of same project to a new project. That playback worked much better. More later. Thanks

Sent from my iPad

• 13. Re: Why won't my premiere elements 12 playback correctly
                                  Mark Owen Level 1

Okay, I rendered the two files you suggested and deleted the bad drivers file. Neither of these solutions seem to work. In both rendered files they played back great in movie maker and media player but stuttered as usual in premiere e. I had regular premiere with a dvc setup for years and never had a problem. Of course though I shot the video through my canon gl2 to watch and edit.  I also used a amd processor with that too. I did have a pretty good dual head graphics card though. I'm confused why these video files work fine with other media players but not with premiere. What do you think at this point? Mark

Sent from my iPad

• 14. Re: Why won't my premiere elements 12 playback correctly
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Mark Owen

Could we recap for a moment?

Back in post 6, I wrote

What is your intended export? Whatever it is, look at the quality of the following:

Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = M2T - H.264 1920 x 1080i30

and also

Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30.

Then let us know the quality of the export at playback in one of your computer players.

Please remind me, was the quality of these exports the same, better, or markedly better than the Edit area playback of the

Timeline from which they were derived.

I wanted to be clear on what you wrote in post 13 when you wrote

Okay, I rendered the two files you suggested and deleted the bad drivers file. Neither of these solutions seem to work. In both rendered files they played back great in movie maker and media player but stuttered as usual in premiere

Are you are telling me that you are getting great exports from the project but mediocre to poor previews within the project? If so, we need to target that video card/graphics card next. Also, where is the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder stored on your computer?

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Why won't my premiere elements 12 playback correctly
                                      Mark Owen Level 1

I just checked a project I worked on a month ago. It was shot with a sony camcorder. Standard def, 480i. the camcorder used was a DVD based camcorder. I imported the mp2 files from the disk from the camera. At the time it played back okay. Now it's stuttering.

Sent from my iPad

• 16. Re: Why won't my premiere elements 12 playback correctly
                                        Mark Owen Level 1

Hey, I just wanted to make sure you received my last email. I haven't heard from you in a couple of days. I really need to get this software working. Thanks

Sent from my iPad

• 17. Re: Why won't my premiere elements 12 playback correctly
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Mark Owen

Thanks for resurfacing the thread. I lost it in the forum thread traffic and email notifications.

So it looks like at this time the playback stuttering that you are encountering is not confined to the to the Canon XA10 footage. Now also

impacting Sony camera recordings that worked before (playback wise in Premiere Elements) but not now.

What was the outcome on those tests to determine if video with the stuttering playback in the program (Edit area monitor) was also present in the export of that Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive or also present in a burn to disc end product?

What video card/graphics card driver version did you have a month ago when these files were playing back in the Edit area monitor OK? Any updates in the card driver then compared to now?

Also, have you look at the Edit Menu/Preferences/General and those options that related to Timeline playback?

Timeline Playback Auto-Scrolling with the options of Page Scroll, No Scroll, and smooth Scroll

and

Timeline render quality (valid for HD projects) and its options of "Draft quality, High speed" and "High quality, Slow speed"?

Please review and consider and then we can determine if we are advancing any on this Timeline content playback stuttering issue.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Any chance of pile ups of preview files, conformed audio files, and conformed video files?.

• 18. Re: Why won't my premiere elements 12 playback correctly
                                            Mark Owen Level 1

Any video clip rendered, exported or original plays back fine in media player and movie maker but stutters in PrE. I haven't updated the video card driver. The video card website said none was available. I'm not sure where to find any adjustment for preview playback quality.

Sent from my iPad

• 19. Re: Why won't my premiere elements 12 playback correctly
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Mark Owen

I'm not sure where to find any adjustment for preview playback quality.

Have you checked the Edit Menu/Preferences/General area and the Timeline playback options there that I described in post numbered 17?

Have you right clicked the Edit area monitor, selected Playback Quality, and compared the setting for Automatic versus Highest?

If you have the latest version of your card driver and have already deleted the BadDrivers.txt file, there is no going there on that angle unless there are some adjustments that you can make to the Radeon HD 8330 video card/graphics card that your computer is using. If there is no where to go on a possible card involvement, maybe, if possible, contact the support of the manufacturer of the card for some input on user adjustments for the card. What is the date and version of the Radeon HD 8330 card that your computer is currently using?

ATR

• 20. Re: Why won't my premiere elements 12 playback correctly
                                                Mark Owen Level 1

I found timeline playback quality options.It is set to draft quality. I tried both settings. No difference. I don't have any experience with conformed video files or audio. Found scrolling. none of the 3 settings made any difference.  Thanks

• 21. Re: Why won't my premiere elements 12 playback correctly
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Mark Owen

Thanks for the follow ups.

Every time you render the Timeline content to get the best possible preview of the playback in the Edit area monitor, the program automatically generates a preview file which is stored to the computer hard drive designated location. If SD project and you have rendered a Timeline still or video, the preview file will be a DV AVI; if HD project the preview will be a MPEG2.mpeg file which will  have a companion .xmp file.

Every time you import an audio file into the project (whether standalone or as the audio portion of a file with audio linked to video), the program automatically conforms the audio to give the conformed audio files (cfa and pek) that are then associated with the audio import.

And, there are also conformed video files that are generated by the project for video imports. These files have .mcdb file extension.

The preview files, conformed audio files (cfa and pek), and conformed video files (.mcdb) can pile up to cause problems.

So, let us determine if pile ups of them might be factoring into your Premiere Elements performance issues.

Preview Files. Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0 and look in the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews File Folder to see what is there.

Conformed Audio Files. Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0 and look in the Media Cache Files Folder to see what is there.

Conformed Video Files. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and the Media Cache Database area there and click on the Clean Button.

The path to the actual files is shown the dialog near the Clean button.

Also, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks, and determine where all the categories are directed and how much free hard drive space is at

the location(s).

Please review. We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR