7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2014 12:39 PM by Alex 12

How to export highest quality pictures to cd/dvd for TV, getting BAD results!

Alex 12

Nikon D800 and D700 Nikon 70-200 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 16-35 f4 shoot Raw

Hello,

I have shot my second wedding recently and it came out great! 300 pictures out of 2000 all edited and looking beautiful. I put a few on Facebook jpeg 960 pixels resize to fit long edge, look great!

I want to be able to make a DVD or CD so i can take all of the finished pictures to my friends/customers house so we can view them together on their TV and pick the ones they want me to put into a photo book (online) for them

I did this for my first wedding (my sisters) and seem to remember exporting them about 3000pixels long edge and seeing them on the TV really sharp, they also printed from these disks ( i made them 300dpi, not sure how much difference that makes, so many photographers saying thats the best thing to do, others saying it makes no odds as the printers are prob not above 100dpi anyway)

Anyway..

So tonight i made two disks ( CD-R's) picked a few photos, exported jpegs to CD at 3000pixels, resize to fit long edge then after seeing how bad they were on a 42inch HD tv (grainy,not sharp,looking stretched almost)  i tried un ticking the resize to fit box, exported them as full size ( 4912 x7360 was the size checking the info on the exported file) It looked slightly better but still nowhere near the quality i was expecting!

What am i doing wrong!!?? Something simple i expect!

I mostly shoot landscape and use the print module for my A3 type prints with a local printer which all come out great. This is new to me so any help would be great

• 1. Re: How to export highest quality pictures to cd/dvd for TV, getting BAD results!
          Alex 12 Level 1

Thought i would explain a few things just incase.

Shoot RAW, import into lightroom, use detail sharpening in Develop module, didn't use sharpening on export. I kept the aspect ratio 4x6 on nearly all of the photos. Exported as jpegs.

Cant find any relevant info online. Don't want to keep guessing and using more cd's!

Would using a dvd make any difference?? surly that just more space than a CD-R??

I would use DVD eventually incase the customer has an older DVD player that might not read a CD-R

Help

• 2. Re: How to export highest quality pictures to cd/dvd for TV, getting BAD results!
            dj_paige Level 9

This is not a space issue.

Now, I can't say that I have actually performed the task that you are trying to perform, but I do know that if you want to display a photo at HDTV resolution, your photo has to be the same aspect ratio as HDTV, which is 1920x1080. This is not the same aspect ratio as 6x4, so you need to crop your photos to an aspect ratio of 1920x1080 (or equivalently 16x9). Then, when you export you set the Image Size to be 1920 x 1080. The ppi is completely irrelevant. Give that a try.

• 3. Re: How to export highest quality pictures to cd/dvd for TV, getting BAD results!
              Alex 12 Level 1

Okay, thanks for that.

So i have to crop all my photos to these dimensions then export them as these sizes just for tv?? Then i will have to re crop them to make them 4x6 again for the album?? surely not. I am happy with the crops as they are at 4x6, is this not the same ratio as they come out of the camera anyway?

I put the cd i made back into my computer (27inch Imac) and opened the pictures, they're all big and sharp on that screen.

Can anybody else help with where I'm going wrong and what I'm not understanding.

Thanks

• 4. Re: How to export highest quality pictures to cd/dvd for TV, getting BAD results!
                dj_paige Level 9

So i have to crop all my photos to these dimensions then export them as these sizes just for tv??

If you finish editing the photo and then create a virtual copy, you only have to crop the virtual copy to 16x9, the original remains uncropped.

• 5. Re: How to export highest quality pictures to cd/dvd for TV, getting BAD results!
                  Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It shouldn't be necessary to crop or resize the images before showing them on a TV, especially if your purpose is to show the client the actual cropping and  proportions of the final prints they will get. I have a Blu-ray disc/DVD player connected to my TV, and even though it's a low-end model it can display unmodified JPEGs with all the pixels from the camera, burned to a data CD. While downsampling the images is not necessary, it's a good thing to do, because it takes the player a lot longer to read and display an unmodified JPEG, and all of the extra pixels the TV can't show are wasted. So if you want to show them on the TV as fast as possible, then you do want to export them constrained to 1920 pixels wide by 1080 pixels tall (or double that if your player can zoom 2x and you want to be able to do that).

dj_paige is right in that it isn't a space issue, because a CD can hold hundreds of TV-resolution JPEG images. But there are other factors, totally unrelated to Lightroom, that could affect why the images don't look good. What is the exact format of the CD, what device is playing back the CDs on the TV, and what kind of cable is used for the connection? For best resolution the disc should be burned and played back as a CD or DVD data disc (not a CD-I or video DVD), and it should be played from a device connected with an HDMI cable. For example, if the images were burned as a video (not data) DVD, the content would be restricted to DVD resolution, about 720 x 480 pixels, which is not a lot. Or if it was played back from a disc player that only has old-style RCA output connections to the TV, that cable would probably also result in low-resolution playback no matter how detailed the photo files are.

The images should show as much detail as they can if all of these are done right:

• The images are at least 1080 pixels tall
                  • The CD or DVD is a data disc
                  • The disc player supports photo display from data discs, not just DVDs/CDs in movie format
                  • The disc player and TV are both 1080p capable
                  • The cable between them is 1080p capable (HDMI, not analog/RCA or S-Video)
                  • The TV settings are correctly set, not set to limit the resolution or alter the aspect ratio

On that last one, you said that the images might have looked a little stretched on the TV. HDTVs have choices for how to display non-16:9 aspect ratios. If the TV is set to make any content fill the screen, it will stretch the 3:2 or 4:3 photo from a digital camera and that is the wrong setting. Try whatever aspect ratio setting does not stretch the image, like "Native" or "Original" depending on what the TV calls it.

• 6. Re: How to export highest quality pictures to cd/dvd for TV, getting BAD results!
                    Alex 12 Level 1

Thank you for the reply!

Okay so tonight i have tried exporting a photo at 1920 width x 1080 height and it still looks the same.

I am using a Sony Bravia Tv with a Sony bluray player that is all set as it came. It is connected with a high quality HDMI cable and displays everything perfectly except my data disks.

The CD's are Memorex CD-R 52x 700mb 80min Disks

I have tried both exporting from within lightroom straight to disk and also exporting to the desktop then dragging the Jpeg onto the disk and burning it, with the same results. I opened the jpeg on the desktop on my iMac and it was pin sharp but the TV is displaying it at a lower resolution and any fine details, such as hairs on a girls head, all look pixilated and ugly. The picture is there but i am very unhappy with the quality. They look like bad mobile phone pics.

I gave the pictures 30 seconds to load just incase but the loading symbol disappears after about 2 seconds with no further change.

I went to my sisters tonight and got the disk i gave her last year and put it in the same tv tonight that i have been using for this and to my surprise they look pretty bad too?! Im sure they were higher quality when i checked on my old tv before i handed out the disks...

I have checked the pictures while on display changing all the settings on the tv i.e picture modes and even changing it from 16:9 to 4:3 with no obvious difference. Picture modes just seem to change the colour.

Am i going mad? can i not view my images after editing in Lightroom, the same quality that i see them in Lightroom before export?? What confuses me is that i put all these disks, including my sisters wedding disk into my iMac and they display almost full screen pin sharp. iMacs are 16:9!

• 7. Re: How to export highest quality pictures to cd/dvd for TV, getting BAD results!
                      Alex 12 Level 1

Okay, i tried putting a handful of various images of mine, various sizes i exported from Lightroom 5, like 960 pixels long edge that i used for Facebook up to a big 4000 pixels long edge landscape onto a usb stick, put it direct into the TV usb slot and they display perfectly!!! The ones that were 960 were small on the screen and the 4000 one was very large on the screen, super sharp, as they should be. Plugged the usb stick into the blu ray player and the pictures look the same as they did on data disk...terrible.

Ive checked all the settings on the Bluray player and nothing seems to change it, i expected a FIT TO SCREEN setting or something similar may have been on but there really is nothing obvious. I've checked the stats on the blurry player too and it can display 4k, AVI, Jpeg, everything! Googled the model number and various key words along with it like - Jpegs not displaying, bad picture quality data disk etc with no results.

So confused. Any help or advice would be great!

Im going to be taking the USB stick to my clients house with the wedding images on! But getting to the bottom of this data disk thing would be awesome!