4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2014 7:39 PM by zutty

My Nikon D810 NEF/RAW File Size

zutty

I'm wondering if the 72mg file size is normal or is it something I have set up iinadvertantly. My D800 has a 36mg file size. Thanks. BTW, I also cannot read these files in Lightroom 5.5 for Mac. I hope a fix is coming soon!

• 1. Re: My Nikon D810 NEF/RAW File Size
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't have that camera. But comments I have seen indicate that the size that you mentioned is normal. It should be supported in the next release of Lightroom. There is a release candidate for the DNG converter (8.6) available for you to try right now. Apparently it will convert the normal raw files from your camera, the will not convert the small raw files. That will reportedly be fixed in the final version of the DNG converter, Camera Raw and probably Lightroom.

• 2. Re: My Nikon D810 NEF/RAW File Size
            zutty Level 1

I know about the converter but I really need Lightroom to be able to read the NEF files not convert them. I might as well just shoot in tiff or jpg which defeats the purpose in having the camera in the first place, I hope a fix is coming soon.

• 3. Re: My Nikon D810 NEF/RAW File Size
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is support in the release candidate for Camera Raw 8.6 as well. So that should be an indication that native support for your NEF files will be available in the next Lightroom update. I would guess that update should be available soon, probably within the next few weeks. But you will just have to wait for the update. If you keep in touch with this forum you will know when the update is available as soon as anyone else does.

I understand your need to have Lightroom support your NEF files. But, in the meantime, (I'm going to mention it again) that DNG converter release candidate will enable you to work on DNG copies of your files so that you can evaluate how things are going. You'll still have the original NEF files that you can go to as soon as Lightroom supports them. I know it isn't the solution that you want or need, but it will at least give you access to your raw data now.

• 4. Re: My Nikon D810 NEF/RAW File Size
                zutty Level 1

Thanks for your help. In the meantime what I do is shoot in both NEF and JPG and store the NEF file awaiting the solution or use the Nikon NX-D which works with the files but is a really feeble program and I put the JPGs in Lighroom in the meanwhile. The other option is shooting in TIFF but those files are humongous and I really don't want to do that