8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2014 9:58 AM by MGW of Boulder

Do I really loose disk menus when I restore a PrE Project from an Archive?

MGW of Boulder Level 1

Say it's not true.

However, that appears to happen.

I transferred (via archive) a project from one computer (running windows 7 professional) to another computer (running windows 8.1) and the menus are gone.

Premiere Elements 11

MS Windows 8.1

• 1. Re: Do I really loose disk menus when I restore a PrE Project from an Archive?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW

What did you use - the Project Archiver's Archive Project or Copy Project option? And, what specific disc menu was involved?

When you said "...the menus are gone". was the Movie Menu customization area with a AutoPlay look?

ATR

I am going to give this a hands on look.

• 2. Re: Do I really loose disk menus when I restore a PrE Project from an Archive?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW

Short Reply

Bottom line to your question "Say it's not true".

Is is not true. Just do your Movie Theme downloads in Premiere Elements 11 Windows 8.1 64 bit and no problems.

Longer Reply

I went ahead and did the road test and believe I have your answer in spite of absence of your complete details.

I used

Premiere Elements 11

first computer Windows 7 64 bit

and

Premiere Elements 11

second computer Windows 8.1 64 bit

The Movie Menu was the General/Aquarium one

I did the archiving both ways: Project Archiver Archive Project and Copy Project.

Same results - Movie Menus "transferred",  but there is a catch in all this, and I think that I see the trap that you might have fallen into.

On your second computer Windows 8.1 64 bit Premiere Elements 11, had you downloaded the files there yet for the

Movie Menu theme that you used in the first computer Windows 7 64 bit? If not, do so, and I believe all will be as you expect disc menu

wise in Premiere Elements 11 Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 3. Re: Do I really loose disk menus when I restore a PrE Project from an Archive?
              MGW of Boulder Level 1

I was busy on other tasks.

Yes, I suspected the missing files for the Movie Menu theme may have been the issue.  I’ll check that tomorrow.

However, one would think those files would have been part of the archive.

By the way, when I do Archive, I do a copy to be sure I have everything and future flexability.

• 4. Re: Do I really loose disk menus when I restore a PrE Project from an Archive?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW

This my current take on the situation.

For reasons known to Adobe, I believe that the Movie Menu information is embedded in the project.prel, and it needs to trace back to the Movie Menu Theme Folder (completed). Without further studies, I am not sure if it is programmed to look for the Online Folder and/or the specific name of the completed Movie Menu Theme Folder on the computer.

I see no evidence that any Adobe Movie Menu theme files are ever copied to either the Trimmed or Copied Folder during the project archiving process.

This brings up an interesting point with regard to archiving projects with Movie Menus moving forward when the disc menu theme of the archived project is no long available in the Premiere Elements version of the future.

I read the Adobe document on Project Archiver, and I find only reference to copying of media in Project Assets and TImeline. There is no mention of the copying of Adobe files associated with the make up of its disc menu.

An interesting observation is that, when it comes to replacement video and audio backgrounds for the disc menus, the replacement files are found included in the Copied and Trimmed Folders. So how is this consistent with Adobe's focus on copies of media from Project Assets and Timeline in the archived folders?. This is true if these files gained entrance to the project only in the Movie Menu customization area - never were imported into Project Assets and never saw the Timeline. The answer is that these replacement files are inserted in Project Assets as soon as they are incorporated into the Movie Menu theme in the Movie Menu customization area.

Lots more interesting avenues to explore on this one and project archiving.

ATR

• 5. Re: Do I really loose disk menus when I restore a PrE Project from an Archive?
                  MGW of Boulder Level 1

Right On! You said:

"For reasons known to Adobe, I believe that the Movie Menu information is embedded in the project.prel, and it needs to trace back to the Movie      Menu Theme Folder (completed). Without further studies, I am not sure if it is programmed to look for the Online Folder and/or the specific name of      the completed Movie Menu Theme Folder on the computer."

I set up an empty project this morning using the Movie Menu in question on the Windows 8 machine.  After I saved that empty project, I again restored the project that was missing the menus yesterday.  Walla!  The missing menus appeared populated with the menu photos and audio I had added.

Gee, one would think "Archive" meant "Archive" and the output would not be dependent on the presence of other files on the system on which the archive is opened.  I guess Adobe "thinks" the Menus are part of their softwar and not media.  A way of thinking they should correct. 

Of course Adobe does not focus on long term retention of "Projects" developed with their software.  That's most of the other problem regarding "Organizer Slide Shows" I am working on.  They just have not thought through keeping a project "in tact" through system upgrades and moving from computer to computer.

I hope you will find a way to inform Adobe of this HOLE in their Archive Process.

Thanks for your help!

• 6. Re: Do I really loose disk menus when I restore a PrE Project from an Archive?
                    MGW of Boulder Level 1

You said:

“The answer is that these replacement files are inserted in Project Assets as soon as they are incorporated into the Movie Menu theme in the Movie Menu customization area.”

Yes, I ran into this some time ago.  I had included a photo in a Movie Menu and then changed my mind, used another and deleted the first one.  Of course since PrE had inserted it into Project Assets for me, it was still looking for it on startup.  Took me a while to realize why it was being looked for.  Of course, I went into Project Assets and “Cleared” the photo reference from the asset list.

• 7. Re: Do I really loose disk menus when I restore a PrE Project from an Archive?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW

Thanks for the follow up details. Much appreciated.

Many feel that the Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form is the way to get our voices heard by the people who make the final decisions on

Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements what is. All well and good, but you really never know if anyone was really at the other end of the Form.

Adobe says it is.

I will be writing more about the Project Archiver soon (on what is added as well as what is not). Sometimes it becomes a concern about what is added as well as what is not to the Trimmed and Copied Folders. Did you ever take a look at what is added to a Copied Folder when the archived version 12 project contained a Timeline with Music Score soundtracks? If you have the time, please check out item 3 in my Premiere Elements 12 blog post "Premiere Elements 12 Daily Discoveries".

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: Premiere Elements 12 Daily Discoveries

But, from what you have been writing, you are using Premiere Elements 11. So you should be spared the situation in 12 to which I referred you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Do I really loose disk menus when I restore a PrE Project from an Archive?
                        MGW of Boulder Level 1

Yes, I am using “Premiere Elements 11” and have no intention of going to 12.  I may upgrade to 13 if there are no negative reports on it.