9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2016 1:37 PM by VirtuallyGeeky

Cannot delete rejected photos

Doodledad

Using LR5.5 with photos kept on external drive. I've never had problems deleting rejected photos from the disk, until an hour ago. Suddenly, I am told that the rejected photos cannot be deleted because the external drive doesn't support Trash. Oh, this is on an early 2014 iMac with current OS.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Cannot delete rejected photos
          thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Yup, you're not alone, it's been reported in the past, I've seen it too. There's an invisible folder called .Trashes and if you make it visible and delete it, that seems to fix the issue (for awhile).

I use a utility called "Find Any File" that can search the Mac for invisible files, find it and delete it. I'm sure there are other's out there too.

• 2. Re: Cannot delete rejected photos
            zutty

I too have had this issue, but strangely it seems to come and go. When it's there I use a program called Super Empty Trash which force ably empties the trash

• 3. Re: Cannot delete rejected photos
              Doodledad Level 1

OK, I went to download "Find Any File" and noticed that the app's developer also recommended a free utility called "iFileX", which I downloaded. The hidden file was found, but are you REALLY SURE this won't screw anything up if I delete the .Trashes file? Deleting hidden files gives me the willies, you know?

• 4. Re: Cannot delete rejected photos

Doodledad wrote:

The hidden file was found, but are you REALLY SURE this won't screw anything up if I delete the .Trashes file? Deleting hidden files gives me the willies, you know?

It's worked in the past for me. It's just a folder. But if your Mac explodes, talk to my lawyer

The other thing to try first is to quit LR. Unmount the drive then mount it again.

• 5. Re: Cannot delete rejected photos
                  Doodledad Level 1

Weird thing: LR says the volume (ext. drive) does not support Trash, then gives me the option to permanently delete the file. Earlier today, I told it to delete, but it wouldn't do it; the files remained. Just now, I followed your mounting suggestions and used "disk utility" to repair the ext. drive. Upon attempting the original operation, I got the same old message about not supporting Trash, but when I told it to delete anyway, it worked!

Adobe works in mysterious ways...thanks for your interest and help.

• 6. Re: Cannot delete rejected photos
                    alanterra Level 1

a much easier solution (mentioned somewhere in this forum) is create an empty folder on the disk in question, using the Finder, and then throw that folder in the trash. For some reason LR cant put files in the trash if another program hasn't put something there first. You need to do this after every reboot.

• 7. Re: Cannot delete rejected photos
                      Doodledad Level 1

You win the prize! Thanks for this simple solution to a puzzling problemo.

• 8. Re: Cannot delete rejected photos

alanterra wrote:

You need to do this after every reboot.

Hum...All I can say is, deleating the .trashes folder doesn't require a reboot ever time, it's permanent. Anyway, this has been a LR only issue for some time, Adobe appears to be aware of it.

• 9. Re: Cannot delete rejected photos
                          VirtuallyGeeky

I can't believe this is still a problem, as it is 2.5 years since this post, but I ran into this same issue. I was skeptical that alanterra's simple suggestion of creating a folder within the folder using Finder and then deleting it would work, but it absolutely did!!! WTF?!?

I haven't tried rebooting my machine to see if I need to do it again after a reboot, but the process is painless enough. I could probably even script it. Or else I would entertain thedigitaldog's suggestion of deleting the hidden .trashses file/folder.

Just for the sake of clarity, I am not using an "external drive", but I *am* using a folder on my iCloud Drive (running macOS Sierra). So macOS may treat this as an external drive or it may behave the same.