9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2014 4:45 AM by rob day

Lines on images when exporting from Indesign to jpeg

Kelly Deane Level 1

I'm getting lines on images when exporting a jpeg from indesign (with links from illustrator that have embedded feathered photos). Please help

• 1. Re: Lines on images when exporting from Indesign to jpeg
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You should give us more information!

1. What OS?
          2. What version of ID?
          3. What version of AI?
          4. What type of file did you link? EPS or AI or PDF? (Don't use EPS!!!!)
          5. Where do you see these lines? In InDesign? In an exported PDF?
          6. When it is in the PDF how did you create the PDF? Printing, Distiller or Export? Settings?
          7. With which program do you open the PDF?
          8. What kind of lines? Provide a screen shot?
          9. Do the lines grow when you zoom in or do they remain in the same size?
          10. Do you have vector antialiasing in Acrobat activated?
          11. What color space (not mode) does the Illustrator file have? What color space is your working space in InDesign?
          • 2. Re: Lines on images when exporting from Indesign to jpeg
            Kelly Deane Level 1

Hi Willi,

Sorry I am new at this. Here are the answers to your questions and hopefully you can give some advice.

1. OSX 10.9.2

2. Indesign CC2014 (I have just started using in last two weeks)

3. Illustrator CS3 (files that were given to me, were created in CS6), I made a couple of edits to fonts only in CS3 before I had purchased CC, but I tried bringing one of the files straight into CC instead of back to CS3 and it still has the same problem.

4. The file I linked IS an eps, I always do an eps because with all my files I leave the fonts in the ai file and save a second file, the eps where I outline all the fonts to save any possible font issues. But should I not do that you think?

5. You can see the lines in Indesign only when in High quality display, they do seem to stay in same position but at 100% and 200% they are quite noticeable whereas zooming in to 600% they become fainter. They are dotted lines, they appear differently in each different photo used. I'm not exporting as a pdf, its a jpeg because its for on a website. So the lines are noticeable in the jpeg. I just tried a pdf and they are also in the pdf. We did think it was only happening to images, but in one file where there is a drop shadow on the text it has done the sam strange boxing \ lines around the text.

6.I'm exporting the jpeg from Indesign CC

7. I open the jpeg in Photoshop.

8.Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 5.46.13 pm.pngScreen Shot 2014-07-24 at 5.46.40 pm.png

9. The seem to remain the same size. You can't see them at all in the illustrator eps files.

10. I'm not sure about this one. How would I find that out? Where is that setting located? Thanks

11. I only know how to look up colour mode - the modes are Indesign CC is in cmyk. Illustrator cmyk. But when I export as a jpeg I change to rgb in the exporting process. How do I find out the colour space? I am not very technical minded. Sorry. That is why I freak out when I get issues like this. Thank you so much for trying to help me.

• 3. Re: Lines on images when exporting from Indesign to jpeg
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

The simple solution: Don't use EPS. Use AI with PDF compatibility. Don't outline fonts, embed them.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 24.07.2014 um 10:05 schrieb Kelly Deane <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Lines on images when exporting from Indesign to jpeg

created by Kelly Deane in InDesign - View the full discussion

Hi Willi,

Sorry I am new at this. Here are the answers to your questions and hopefully you can give some advice.

1. OSX 10.9.2

2. Indesign CC2014 (I have just started using in last two weeks)

3. Illustrator CS3 (files that were given to me, were created in CS6), I made a couple of edits to fonts only in CS3 before I had purchased CC, but I tried bringing one of the files straight into CC instead of back to CS3 and it still has the same problem.

4. The file I linked IS an eps, I always do an eps because with all my files I leave the fonts in the ai file and save a second file, the eps where I outline all the fonts to save any possible font issues. But should I not do that you think?

5. You can see the lines in Indesign only when in High quality display, they do seem to stay in same position but at 100% and 200% they are quite noticeable whereas zooming in to 600% they become fainter. They are dotted lines, they appear differently in each different photo used. I'm not exporting as a pdf, its a jpeg because its for on a website. So the lines are noticeable in the jpeg. I just tried a pdf and they are also in the pdf. We did think it was only happening to images, but in one file where there is a drop shadow on the text it has done the sam strange boxing \ lines around the text.

6.I'm exporting the jpeg from Indesign CC

7. I open the jpeg in Photoshop.

8. https://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-6578871-656214/ScreenShot2014-07-24at5.46.13pm.png https://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-6578871-656215/450-188/ScreenShot2014-07-24at5.46.40pm.png

9. The seem to remain the same size. You can't see them at all in the illustrator eps files.

10. I'm not sure about this one. How would I find that out? Where is that setting located? Thanks

11. I only know how to look up colour mode - the modes are Indesign CC is in cmyk. Illustrator cmyk. But when I export as a jpeg I change to rgb in the exporting process. How do I find out the colour space? I am not very technical minded. Sorry. That is why I freak out when I get issues like this. Thank you so much for trying to help me.

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at https://forums.adobe.com/message/6578871#6578871

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in InDesign by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 4. Re: Lines on images when exporting from Indesign to jpeg
                Kelly Deane Level 1

Ok, I will try that. Fingers crossed. Thank you Willi.

• 5. Re: Lines on images when exporting from Indesign to jpeg
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Without seeing the result it sounds like stitching artifacts.

I'd be way more tempted to use AI files as Willi already pointed out and to

export a PDF from InDesign, open in Photoshop and save as JPG there.

• 6. Re: Lines on images when exporting from Indesign to jpeg
                    rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The eps save dialog forces you to flatten transparency. You have to choose a flattener preset in the Save dialog and the default [Medium Resolution] would certainly produce stitching with your rotated, transparent objects.

If you keep transparency live as suggested, via PDF/X-4 or .ai, you should be able to export a jpeg out of ID without stitching.

• 7. Re: Lines on images when exporting from Indesign to jpeg
                      Kelly Deane Level 1

Thank you both Rob and Bob, sticking sounds like the perfect term for it. Not using an eps has worked so thats good, but knowing about the flattener preset is helpful too Rob. You guys are all so clever - and have save me lots of time. Thanks so much for all of your time. 

• 8. Re: Lines on images when exporting from Indesign to jpeg
                        Kelly Deane Level 1

I cannot believe it, but I have two lots of files with two different sized banners - I changed the first lot of banners to pdfs, then put them in as linked files in indesign then made the jpegs from there which worked fine for the one file with the larger banners. It took away the stitching and everything looks great. But then I did the exact same thing with the smaller banner files and attached is what has happened to four of the files! So frustrating. I only just started using CC - and I have to say have had more problems with it than all my time using CS3. If anyone can shed any light on this it would be great. I tried using the ai files, with no success either. Tried saving the pdf from indesign, then opening in photoshop to then make the jpeg without success. I can no longer go back to my CS3 versions of the files as I stupidly decided to save over them. Im at a loss. They are all very complex vectors - ones that have been created by someone else, these are the files that are having problems.

standard_jpegs5.jpgstandard_jpegs7.jpgstandard_jpegs9.jpg

• 9. Re: Lines on images when exporting from Indesign to jpeg
                          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I changed the first lot of banners to pdfs, then put them in as linked files in indesign then made the jpegs from there which worked fine for the one file with the larger banners. It took away the stitching and everything looks great. But then I did the exact same thing with the smaller banner files and attached is what has happened to four of the files! So frustrating.

I'm not seeing a problem in your screen captures—maybe your inserted captures don't have enough res to show the problem?

When you save as PDF it's still possible to flatten and get artifacts—depends on the PDF setting. Save as .ai format, which will always keep transparency live.

Also if you have situation where you are forced to flatten in AI or ID and are getting stitching, try creating a custom Flattener preset that is all rasters—then choose it in the PDF dialog. I've never seen stitching artifacts using this preset:

Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 7.41.32 AM.png