6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2014 7:14 PM by Noel Carboni

Focus Area Select Not Working

Steve Bruhn

Hi. Updated my work PC to Photoshop CC 2014. Select/Focus Area is shown in drop down menu. I can open the Focus Area panel, but it does nothing to the image regardless of what setting I select in the sliders.

When I place the cursor over the image with this panel open, I get a circle with a slash through it, seemingly to indicate that this function is not available on this image. Image opened is DNG format from Lightroom CC.

I updated my graphics driver and checked that PS is using the GPU in the Preferences panel. The 'Use Graphics processor' is ticked.

System is a PC running Windows 7 professional. Core i5-2310 CPU 4cores. 4GB RAM (total).

I know the RAM size is small and I will be getting another 8GB or so soon. Can this be the cause of the problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Steve

Capture.JPG

• 1. Re: Focus Area Select Not Working
          Noel Carboni Level 8

As you mentioned, your system seems light on RAM.

Have you tried running it on a small image as a test to see if maybe you have resource exhaustion?

-Noel

• 2. Re: Focus Area Select Not Working
            Steve Bruhn Level 1

Thanks Noel, I'll give that a try tomorrow. In the past, I've usually had a message telling me that a particular filter or action cannot be performed due to lack of memory. Nothing this time, just no effect.

thanks again. Will let you know.

Regards.

Steve.

• 3. Re: Focus Area Select Not Working
              Noel Carboni Level 8

Keep in mind one other thing...  This filter is not fast - it will sit there analyzing your image for quite a while before showing you results.  Watch the little spinner.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Focus Area Select Not Working
                Steve Bruhn Level 1

Thanks Noel, but I don't even get the little spinner. Just no visible effect. Waited two minutes on one occassion. Nothing. Will try a smaller image as you suggested today. All I get when I move the cursor over the image after initiating the focus area panel is a circle with a diagonal line though it, which disappears when I move the cursor back to the focus area panel.

Thanks again for the feedback.

• 5. Re: Focus Area Select Not Working
                  Steve Bruhn Level 1

Okay, I reduced the size of the image to something small (max dimension of 1200 pixels), and this fixed the issue. The filter now works. Looks like I need more RAM.

Not that impressed with its operation though. It selects areas that are in focus as well as out of focus Even fiddling with the sliders. I think I could have achieved a better result manually with the usual selection tools.

Anyway, it's working.

Maybe Adobe should warn people that this filter needs a lot of RAM to process large files? Also, didn't see a mention anywhere that hardware acceleration is required. Or does it?

Thanks so much Noel.

• 6. Re: Focus Area Select Not Working
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

You're welcome, and I agree, it should at least warn you if it comes up short of RAM.

In researching a bit for my answer above, I set out to try the filter on a number of images, some of which should have been "no brainers" for the filter to process, and I have to say, for me it did what it did for you on a couple of occasions.  It seems to have trouble with the transition between sharp areas and their edges that border on quite smooth backgrounds.

I hope Adobe continues to refine the operation of this filter.

-Noel