1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 24, 2014 3:14 AM by D Fosse

Whats a good Laptop for doing Graphics design only?!

DewsonR

i saw a forum post about this but it was from last year so i'd like a more up to date version.

I'm looking into laptops but im not the best for finding what goes best for my needs.
      I want a good laptop that can run all the features on photoshop. (The space on the system can be low since ill be getting a 4T Portable HardDrive)

I also won't be doing much else besides searching the web sometimes and maybe a little coding.

if possible could i get suggestion near the price of 3000$ - 2000$ - & - 1000$?! Just so i can see what my budget is at the time!

Thanks to anyone who suggests a good laptop at a reasonable price!

• 1. Re: Whats a good Laptop for doing Graphics design only?!
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

None of them, and the problem is the display. If you're doing graphic design, presumably for clients, you really need to see what you're doing. But if you plan for a second external display it can work well.

I recently bought a Sony Vaio for my wife (i5 CPU and 250 GB SSD), and it's a great little machine. I haven't tried Photoshop on it, but it runs Lightroom very well, which in my experience is much more critical and demanding of well-functioning hardware. But I wouldn't expect any problems with Photoshop since it has a dedicated video card (no hybrid stuff), save for video driver bugs which you can never safeguard against. But even so there's ways around that.

The problem is that I can't see what I'm doing, because even with an x-rite i1 calibrated display it keeps changing display brightness all the time. I can't for the life of me figure out why it's doing that. It's completely crippling and rendering the thing totally useless. And even if it didn't do that, the display is a TN-type panel that changes dramatically according to viewing angle.

Strictly based on display alone, I'd recommend a Macbook Pro. The retina resolution they can have, but the newer ones use IPS technology so that you see the same thing regardless of viewing angle. And I think it doesn't try to be "helpful" by cranking display brightness up and down all the time.