13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2014 2:25 AM by jamoroki

Lightroom gives no save option after processing - Why not?

jamoroki Level 1

Most of the tutorials are excellent from Adobe pros but they seem to omit to say what happens to a merged file after processing.

I am left wondering because LR5 gives no directions that I can find post processing.

I have just processed my first HDR [3 bracketed photos] via the Photomatix plug -in and it has worked fine in LR5. But now I am stuck because:

1. there is nothing to indicate if there is a new merged and processed raw file or
      2. whether LR5 has to go back to the original 3 RAW files each time.
      3. is the data is now preserved in LR5 [ I am just guessing it is.]
      4. I was under the impression from watching many tutorials that LR5 automatically saved processed photos to a specified HD and also will make a copy to another specified HD. But I can't see this.
      5. I cannot figure out how LR5 saves the processed merged RAW (as a TIFF) unless I do it manually by the export process.

I am left feeling very vulnerable despite hours and hours of LR5 study over the last 2 months thinking I understood how it all worked.

Clearly I am mistaken in that.

HELP

• 1. Re: Lightroom gives no save option after processing - Why not?
          BKKDon Level 4

Hi,

Lightroom does not "save" a file that is passed to Photomatrix but if the correct options are selected the created HDR image is re-imported into the Lightroom library.  Follow these instructions and then make sure that if you are viewing in the Library Module select Sort by Filename and it should appear next to the first exported image.

1. In Lightroom, select bracketed photos from either the Filmstrip or the Grid.
          2. Right-click on the selected photos to invoke the contextual menu. Select Export and then Photomatix Pro.

To have the HDR image re-imported you need to have checked the "Automatically re-import into Lightroom library" box.

Note the HDR image wont automatically show in a Collection just in the directory.

• 2. Re: Lightroom gives no save option after processing - Why not?
            DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

@jamoroki the link below will is for a tutorial that gives a very good insight to how the Lightroom Catalog functions. While it is several years old it is still very relevant and will answer lots of questions you have in your mind about Lightroom.

The Lightroom Catalog | George Jardine on Lightroom | Adobe TV

• 3. Re: Lightroom gives no save option after processing - Why not?
              jamoroki Level 1

Thanks BK.

I am using the Merge plugin so it comes straight back to LR.

That is not an issue.

JK

Blog:  http://www.jamoroki.com

James King

about.me/jamoroki

<http://about.me/jamoroki>

• 4. Re: Lightroom gives no save option after processing - Why not?
                jamoroki Level 1

Thanks a lot Dde. I will check it out. JK

James King

about.me/jamoroki

• 5. Re: Lightroom gives no save option after processing - Why not?
                  BKKDon Level 4

I have just processed my first HDR [3 bracketed photos] via the Photomatix plug -in and it has worked fine in LR5. But now I am stuck because:

1. there is nothing to indicate if there is a new merged and processed raw file or
                  2. whether LR5 has to go back to the original 3 RAW files each time.
                  3. is the data is now preserved in LR5 [ I am just guessing it is.]
                  4. I was under the impression from watching many tutorials that LR5 automatically saved processed photos to a specified HD and also will make a copy to another specified HD. But I can't see this.
                  5. I cannot figure out how LR5 saves the processed merged RAW (as a TIFF) unless I do it manually by the export process.

OK, I understand what you are talking about now ....

1. The new Merged and Processed file is a TIFF which is automatically re-imported and stacked with the originals in the library

2. The HDR output is a separate processed TIFF file in the library.

3. The 'data' i.e. the HDR output is now part of the LR Catalog and, as such, any further adjustments you do will be held in the catalog.

4. LR doesn't save the output HDR in this case, it is up to you to specify that Photomatrix "automatically re-imports into the Lightroom library"

5. Photomatrix creates and has LR re-import the TIFF file.

Lightroom is a non-destructive image processor and as such the original or created images are left untouched and the applied changes (LR only) are held in the catalog.

• 6. Re: Lightroom gives no save option after processing - Why not?
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The data in the HDR is part of the catalog in that it is in the TIF file that was created. Photomatix is not capable of editing raw image data. There is no program other than a raw converter program such as Lightroom or Camera Raw or other third-party raw converters that can work on raw images. The TIF file was actually created and sent to Photomatix,  And everything that you did on the HDR file was done to that TIF. When you were finished and saved your HDR work, the TIF file was saved and added to the catalog. That is what you are looking at in Lightroom when the HDR is finished. Any further adjustments that you make to that HDR image using Lightroom will be stored in the catalog and will be attached to the TIF file.

• 7. Re: Lightroom gives no save option after processing - Why not?
                      jamoroki Level 1

Thanks BKK.

I think I understand some of what you say but I was under the impression

that LR5 is a program in which you create data which is then applied to an

image file stored on a drive somewhere.

As I understand it LR5 does and cannot import or store files.

So how can the TIFF file be in LR5 as you say?

regards

James

James King

about.me/jamoroki

• 8. Re: Lightroom gives no save option after processing - Why not?

The TIF file isn't anymore "in" Lightroom than any other file. The import process simply shows Lightroom where files are located on your computer system. When you send an image to another program for processing, Lightroom has already created the TIF file, and has added it to the catalog. You go to the other program and do what ever Magic you do there. And when you save your work in the other program it is applied to the TIF file that is already part of the catalog so Lightroom knows where it's located. In Lightroom is just pointing to the TIF file the same way it points to any other file.

• 9. Re: Lightroom gives no save option after processing - Why not?
                          jamoroki Level 1

OK. That makes sense Jim.

Except that:

1. I didn't save anything because there is no option to save.
                          2. now I have to search for the TIFF which LR5 knows where it is located but I don't.
                          3. When I find it I can then make a back-up

Am I on the right track now?

James

• 10. Re: Lightroom gives no save option after processing - Why not?
                            jamoroki Level 1

Thanks Jim

When you say *"When you were finished and saved your HDR work, the TIF file

was saved and added to the catalog."*

I can't find a save command anywhere. So how did I save it?

As I understand it LR5 does and cannot import or store files so where is

the TIFF file?

It can't be in LR5 unless I am still not understanding.

regards

James

James King

about.me/jamoroki

• 11. Re: Lightroom gives no save option after processing - Why not?

Yes, I think you're on the right track. In your Lightroom preferences, external editing, one of the options you can choose is to stack that TIF file with the original. That's what I do. To clarify just a little, you don't have to save the TIF file. For example, I use the Nik library. When I choose to "edit in" one of those tools, the first time I do that Lightroom will not allow me to edit the original raw file. I have to choose to create a copy that contains Lightroom adjustments. So Lightroom creates the TIF and that is the file that gets sent to that Nik tools. After that first round to Nik I have the option to edit the original TIF file that was created because it's no longer a raw file. If I choose that option then Lightroom simply sends that file unmodified to the next tool. I just have to remember to not make any more Lightroom adjustments until I'm through with all of the Nik tools. Lightroom should handle the transfer of the file back and forth automatically. And if you choose the option to stack with the original you shouldn't have any difficulty finding that file. In fact on my system when I return to Lightroom the TIF file is the one that is selected and available to me.

• 12. Re: Lightroom gives no save option after processing - Why not?
                                jamoroki Level 1

Hi Jim.

I'm trying to follow you but it's not easy. Please bear with me.

1  I don't know where LR preferences are but firstly when the merged file

came back from Photomatix I edited it in LR. Does that constitute 'external

editing'?

2  If I manage to find out 1 above then will the stacking with the 3

original RAW files be obvious?

3  Assuming I manage to do that then presumably I have to then locate it on

the HD to back it up somewhere else.

4  I am still mystified as to where the TIFF is now!!!!

regards

Jim

James King

about.me/jamoroki

• 13. Re: Lightroom gives no save option after processing - Why not?
                                  jamoroki Level 1

Well Jim

After all the twoing and froing I have discovered the answer by ACCIDENT

RIGHT CLICK ON THE IMAGE AND CLICK SHOW IN EXPLORER.

The TIFF is automatically saved after processing in the source folder so

that is why LR gives no save option like other software does.

I didn't have to do anything.

I hope this ACCIDENT helps everyone.else

regards

JIm

James King

about.me/jamoroki