5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2014 4:21 AM by Syberspace

Place one IDML file inside another one.

Syberspace

I want to place one or more IDML files into another single IDML "master" file.

The master file is sort of a template for a site layout. The IDML files I need to embed represent single content boxes with specific layouts. The files for those content boxes are created outside of InDesign with some texts I get from a database.

To retain those layouts I deemed it best to just place them into another document which is no problem with INDD but just with IDML.

I managed to link multiple INDD files into the master file in InDesign itself, but can not figure out how to link IDML files. I also found that it is possible to link INDD files into IDML files, just not IDML into IDML.

I need to be working with IDML as opposed to INDD because I have to be able to manipulate the files in an easy way outside of InDesign.

Is there any way to link IDML files into other IDML files? Or if not, is there a possibility to convert my IDML files to INDD files without having to use a real instance of InDesign?

Relevant Lines of code from the master IDML file taken from the Spread.xml file:

<Link Self="u9f81" AssetURL="$ID/" AssetID="$ID/" LinkResourceURI="file:/path/to/subtemplates/box2.idml" LinkResourceFormat="$ID/InDesign Format Name" StoredState="Normal" LinkClassID="35906" LinkClientID="257" LinkResourceModified="false" LinkObjectModified="false" ShowInUI="true" CanEmbed="true" CanUnembed="true" CanPackage="true" ImportPolicy="NoAutoImport" ExportPolicy="NoAutoExport" LinkImportStamp="file 130505142560000000 1396736" LinkImportModificationTime="2014-07-22T16:50:56" LinkImportTime="2014-07-23T11:42:22" LinkResourceSize="0~155000" />

If I leave this in and try to open the file in InDesign I get the error message that the linked file type is not supported

<Link Self="u9f81" AssetURL="$ID/" AssetID="$ID/" LinkResourceURI="file:/path/to/subtemplates/box1.indd" LinkResourceFormat="$ID/InDesign Format Name" StoredState="Normal" LinkClassID="35906" LinkClientID="257" LinkResourceModified="false" LinkObjectModified="false" ShowInUI="true" CanEmbed="true" CanUnembed="true" CanPackage="true" ImportPolicy="NoAutoImport" ExportPolicy="NoAutoExport" LinkImportStamp="file 130505142560000000 1396736" LinkImportModificationTime="2014-07-22T16:50:56" LinkImportTime="2014-07-23T11:42:22" LinkResourceSize="0~155000" />

If I put this in everything works fine.

Notes: box1.indd and box2.idml are the exact same files, just saved differently by InDesign. The path to both files is a valid file system path and has full read/write access.