1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 24, 2014 5:43 AM by dj_paige

2 External Drives, 2 Catalogs?

Renee536 Level 1

I have a large number of photos that I store along with my LR catalog on an external hard drive.  The drive was getting full so I purchased another drive to move my older files to.  What would be the best way to handle the LR catalog (currently just a single catalog) since the photos themselves are in two different places now?  Should I create a new catalog to store in the new hard drive for all the old photos and move all the old photos to that catalog?  So I would have LR Catalog 1 and on my current drive with my recent photos, and LR Catalog 2 on the other external along with those older photos?

My current drive and LR catalog is the one I work out of, I take it back and forth to use on two computers.  The new one (which I've moved older photos to and would create the additional catalog for) I'm just keeping on computer at home and don't need to access that often.  I did read the info on LR catalogs, moving, etc., I just want to make sure what I'm thinking is the best way to approach it.  I didn't think about it until I saw the "missing" symbol in my moved photos, and I know I could point it to where they are but I know now I shouldn't have one catalog with photos in two different places.

Thanks for any advice!

• 1. Re: 2 External Drives, 2 Catalogs?
          dj_paige Level 9

What would be the best way to handle the LR catalog (currently just a single catalog) since the photos themselves are in two different places now?

Use a single catalog. Do NOT even consider multiple catalogs, as multiple catalogs is a major step in the WRONG direction.

If one disk of photos is disconnected, Lightroom will report that the disk is offline, shouldn't be a problem, whenever you need to work with those photos, just plug the disk back in.

but I know now I shouldn't have one catalog with photos in two different places

I disagree strenuously, one catalog is the best approach