6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2014 10:45 AM by jbowden

How do I expand the timeline with labels (cc 214)

eliverrang Level 1

How do I expand the animation timeline with labels. I'm working through the Edge Animate "Classroom in a Book". In lesson 3 I successfully expanded the animation time line by selecting all the timelines and dragging the cursor from the last frame after the cursor turned into the double arrow.

In lesson 5 I put in some labels and the lesson text told me that when the timeline is expanded the labels would change position proportionally. This didn't happen. The labels stayed where they were. When I used the menu to "select all" the timelines and the labels were selected but then when I tried to expand the total animation timeline by dragging the last frame the whole sequence moved along the timeline without expanding proportionally.

What am I going wrong?

• 1. Re: How do I expand the timeline with labels (cc 214)
          jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi there,

I'm not familiar with the details of the lesson that you're referring to, but I am able to lengthen transitions and labels at the same time. The first step is to select all (Cmd/Ctrl+A) in the timeline, as you did. And after reading your description, it seems like you're doing everything correctly but just in case a visual example is helpful, here's a screencast that I just made using Edge Animate CC 2014:

http://eahelper.webatu.com/solutions/edit-timeline/timeline-editing.swf

If the steps I took in the screencast are still not working for you, can you provide more details? For instance, more details on the steps you took, and your operating system?

Thanks,

Joe

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I expand the timeline with labels (cc 214)
            eliverrang Level 1

Thanks Joe for the video of your expanding the timeline with labels.

I am doing exactly the same as this but instead of the timeline expanding proportionately, it just increases the length of the timeline and moves all the objects and labels along to the end without changing their lengths.

Another difference is that when I use Command-A, to select all, it does not include the labels. However it will select all, including the labels, if I use select all in the edit menu. But, the individual timelines don't change when the timeline in increased by the dragging method you are using.

I'm using a Mac 27 inch slimline (2013). 2.9 GHz Intel core 15 OS X version 10.9.4

I'm using the Edge Animate CC 2014 release

• 3. Re: How do I expand the timeline with labels (cc 214)
              eliverrang Level 1

I have just reproduced your test and found everything worked the way it did for you. I could select all, including the labels with Command-A and by dragging the final frame the timeline with the labels expanded proportionately.

So, the question is: why doesn't it work for the example given in lesson 5 of the Adobe official training workbook "Adobe Edge Animate: classroom in a book"?

• 4. Re: How do I expand the timeline with labels (cc 214)
                eliverrang Level 1

All the lessons come with a finished version of what your project should look like at the end of the lesso. I found this worked perfectly well with the Command_A and dragging the end frame.

So it must be something I have done wrong in following the lessons. Can't think though, what would cause the command-A not to include the labels and not to expand the timelines proportionally.

• 5. Re: How do I expand the timeline with labels (cc 214)
                  eliverrang Level 1

DOH! Discovered the problem: I had a trigger placed after the final frame. When I moved this trigger to line up with the last frame, everything worked perfectly.

Sorry to waste you time Joe, but perhaps it might help somebody else who has misplaced a trigger and can't understand why they cannot change the length of their animation.

• 6. Re: How do I expand the timeline with labels (cc 214)
                    jbowden Adobe Employee

Cool - glad you found the problem!

In this case, the behavior you saw (although confusing when it happens) is expected, because when you select all and then drag something not at the end of the selection, it's treated as dragging the entire selection down the the timeline rather than actually lengthening the transitions.

I don't know the specific steps in the lesson, but perhaps it should include a step before Select All such as "Zoom out to make sure you see everything in the timeline". I'll send a heads up to the team to investigate.

Thanks for the update,

Joe