3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2014 2:17 PM by Willi Adelberger

Reference File Info or other Metadata?

isips

Does anyone know how to reference the file information (File>File Info...) within a document? I have a group of many documents, all with the same format, so I have grouped them as a book so I can sync their styles, masters, etc. However, I cannot sync the Masters of these documents at this time because there are three information fields (Document Title, Document Number, and Revision) that are unique to each document and must appear in the title bar so I am trying to see if can get around this by referencing the File info. Any thoughts? Is there any other place to input my own metadata for the document that I can then reference?

Sorry for such a long post.

• 1. Re: Reference File Info or other Metadata?
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Select all document with the same meta data in Adobe Bridge and insert the meta information there. You need not even to open the file and you can select files of different types to insert the very same metadata of all selected files at once. I never do it in an open document, I use always Adobe Bridge to do it.

• 2. Re: Reference File Info or other Metadata?
            isips Level 1

Hmm, the issue is each document has unique metadata, and each document must display this information (the Document Title, Document Number, and Revision) on a master. Up until now, I have simply enter these three info fields manually, but now if I sync the masters of documents within a book (as I need to do), these three info fields are synced and the unique information is lost.

Does that make sense?

I think I may just have to link to an spreadsheet but its hard for me to justify adding an additional file (even if it's just tab dilimited text file) for three items as each file must be archived and doc controlled. seems like it may be my only option

• 3. Re: Reference File Info or other Metadata?
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Use text variables on the master page, they can be based on the document’s meta data. When you synchronize masters (you can turn it off) only the variables and their place holder is synchronized, not the meta data. Don’t do such things manually on the master, it causes only more work for you and the possibility to do things wrong.