20 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2014 9:29 AM by Nancy OShea

Laundry list of issues

Irate

So I bit the bullet a few months ago and subscribed to CC. I haven't been too happy:

• 4K monitor support. They've been around for a year, and I still have to squint at the tiny icons because your software doesn't scale the UI. Fix this.
      • Spam in Lightroom, in a program I pay for every month (try LR for Mobile in the top ribbon). Really?
      • No apparent way to contact support via email, have to call the US or wait in line to get cumbersome chat support. Again, I pay for this every month, and don't expect to need to beg for the community for free help.
      • And this is what did it for me: I have 32 gigs of memory, and I can't crop a 782MB image in PS just because my scratch disks are full.

I'm sure there are others, but I'm getting sick of this.

• 1. Re: Laundry list of issues
          Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Irate,

You're preaching to the choir here.  This is a user-to-user forum.   If you want to give Adobe a piece of your mind, feel free to log a bug report and/or submit a feature request where it will be seen by Adobe's engineers.

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Nancy O.

• 2. Re: Laundry list of issues
            SG... Adobe Employee

Hi Irate,

Have you tried to enable the 200% scaling preference in the Experimental Features section of 15.0?

Help: Experimental Features

Can you provide the file that is failing to crop? And what is your scratch disk setup?

regards,

steve

• 3. Re: Laundry list of issues
              Level 5

Irate wrote:

• And this is what did it for me: I have 32 gigs of memory, and I can't crop a 782MB image in PS just because my scratch disks are full.

I'm sure there are others, but I'm getting sick of this.

The rule of thumb I follow to figure out scratch space says to figure on 50 to 100 times the size of your largest file ever multiplied by the number of files you have open.  I have seen the scratch file exceed 800 GB once, an admittedly rare occurrence, but it often exceeds 200 GB when stitching large panoramas and the like.

As an example—and stressing that I'm aware that others have even more scratch space than I do—I keep two dedicated, physically separate hard drives as my primary and secondary Photoshop scratch disks and a lot of GB free on my boot drive for the OS.  I also have 16 GB of RAM installed.

Additionally, if you only have a single HD, i.e. your boot drive, you'd need it to be large enough to accommodate both the swap files of the OS as well as Photoshop's scratch.

• 4. Re: Laundry list of issues
                Irate Level 1

@SG

I don't have experimental features option under file/preferences. I have the latest CC version of PS.

@station_two

I have a 250GB SSD as scratch disk. It is now full due to a rather messy file recovery operation.

But my point was that PS shouldn't need to use scratch disk at all, as I have plenty of memory left and I was editing a rather small file.

Got it to work after resetting, though.

• 5. Re: Laundry list of issues
                  gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Irate wrote:

@SG

I don't have experimental features option under file/preferences. I have the latest CC version of PS.

It's in Photoshop Preferences > Experimental Features of Photoshop CC 2014, which is a new major release: Version 15.  CC is v 14.2.1

• 6. Re: Laundry list of issues
                    Level 5

Irate wrote:

…But my point was that PS shouldn't need to use scratch disk at all, as I have plenty of memory left and I was editing a rather small file…

ROFL

You are under one or more severe misconceptions.  Happens often if you get "Irate". 

Photoshop creates a scratch file the instant you open an image file or create a new, empty document, no matter how much RAM you may have.  Always; no exceptions.

It sets and continually increases its size based on its size, which includes pixel dimensions and bit depth, number of layers, history states, etc.

As I wrote above: The rule of thumb I follow to figure out scratch space says to figure on 50 to 100 times the size of your largest file ever multiplied by the number of files you have open.  I have seen the scratch file exceed 800 GB once, an admittedly rare occurrence, but it often exceeds 200 GB when stitching large panoramas and the like.

Your SSD can only be considered barely adequate if it is a dedicated scratch drive for Photoshop alone, with nothing else on it.

As an example—and stressing that I'm aware that others have even more scratch space than I do—I keep two dedicated, physically separate hard drives as my primary and secondary Photoshop scratch disks and a lot of GB free on my boot drive for the OS.  I also have 16 GB of RAM installed.

• 8. Re: Laundry list of issues
                      Irate Level 1

I routinely edit 2-6GB large format drum scanned images with my setup, and the 32GB RAM plus 250GB SSD I have are perfectly fine for my needs.

And drop the condescending tone. I know that's what all the cool kids do on the internets, but it's unbecoming.

• 9. Re: Laundry list of issues
                        Level 5

The only kids around here are my grandsons playing in my backyard.

I understand that you are Irate,but that's not my bailiwick.  Whether you deal with your situation or not is strictly up to you.  I couldn't care less myself.

If you don't like any of the responses here, you are most certainly entitled to your money back:  $0.00.  <personal comment removed by moderator>

• 10. Re: Laundry list of issues
                          Irate Level 1

It's in Photoshop Preferences > Experimental Features of Photoshop CC 2014, which is a new major release: Version 15.  CC is v 14.2.1

I have PS CC 2014 installed, and just updated CC to the latest version today. I'm in Linux right now so can't check the version number, but it's the latest version available to me, but I don't have the experimental features option under edit/preferences.

• 11. Re: Laundry list of issues
                            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you open PS do you see a splash screen with a girl whose hair that blends into a treeline reflected on a lake?  This is PS CC 2014.

• 12. Re: Laundry list of issues

Well, I try to understand that Photoshop can clash with others' systems differently from mine. CC 2014 has this option in both my Mac and Windows editions.

If you tell me you have CC 2014 and not this option, I'll have to leave this one up to more experienced members of this forum.

In any event, if you have a Windows system, there is an option there that will scale the size of Photoshop 200% for higher resolution monitors.

• 13. Re: Laundry list of issues

This brings up a question, station_two. It used to be advised that external drives not be used for scratch disks. Has that changed?

• 14. Re: Laundry list of issues
                                  SG... Adobe Employee

Hi Gene,

You can read Adam's run down on optimization here: How to tune Photoshop CS6 for peak performance

I don't know if he's posted anything more recent but will check with him.

regards,

steve

• 15. Re: Laundry list of issues

@ station_two,

+1 .  For as long as I can remember PS has needed a great deal of scratch disk space. This is not new to Creative Cloud.  It dates way back to PS2 (not CS2).   Your set-up is very sensible and, as much as I hate to admit, it's way better than mine which is why I frequently need to re-start PS.  However, I need to upgrade my system so for now that's MY cross to bare; not Adobe's.

@ Irate,

It's possible you have both CC and CC 2014 installed on your system.  They are separate apps.  If your OS supports both, you can install them side-by-side.  You just can't launch them both at the same time.  Go to Help > About Photoshop to see which app is running.

Nancy O.

• 16. Re: Laundry list of issues

@SG

From the linked article: "For the best performance, avoid network or external drives due to their relatively slow access times."

I would have though speedier ports like USB3 might have changed this, but so far, "no".

Ok, will keep my eyes and ears open if this somehow changes.

Gene

• 17. Re: Laundry list of issues
                                        Irate Level 1

My PS starts with the lady at the lake splash screen.

Changing scaling in OS doesn't affect PS UI scaling, at least on Windows 7 which I am using.

• 18. Re: Laundry list of issues

If you do not see this dialog, I suggest a uninstall/run the CC cleaner/reinstall.  It makes absolutely no sense that it doesn't show up.

2014-07-25 05_35_20-Preferences.png

• 19. Re: Laundry list of issues
                                            Irate Level 1

Nancy, that was it: I have both CC 64 bit and CC 2014 installed. The option is available when I open CC 2014. Took a quick look, and it does change the UI much larger.

Thank you, Nancy!

• 20. Re: Laundry list of issues

You're welcome, Irate .

N