8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2014 3:21 PM by A.T. Romano

PE12 APPCRASH dvamarshal.dll

Phaeton

This is an informational post, as others have had this problem with no solutions given.  I just had a long chat with Adobe support and wanted those who might have the same problem to hear what they have to say.

I have a new install of Windows 7 64bit on an i7 with 8GB RAM and on-board Intel video (driver from 1/2014).  Two weeks ago I downloaded and installed Adobe Premiere Elements 12 (I had used 1, 2, and 3 before, and finally 12 will import my MJPEG files!).  It worked fine for two weeks, then last night is crashed with this error:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH

Application Name:    Adobe Premiere Elements.exe

Application Version:    12.0.0.0

Application Timestamp:    530bd24a

Fault Module Name:    dvamarshal.dll

Fault Module Version:    11.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp:    523cc62d

Exception Code:    c0000005

Exception Offset:    0000000000034961

OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID:    1033

Additional Information 1:    5a5c

Additional Information 2:    5a5c7f2099c49d46ef167594373b054c

Additional Information 3:    e2a1

Additional Information 4:    e2a18ccc946fae77ae70bd7ffb1dd642

I had not made any changes to my computer between it working and not working, other than Windows Updates, and Restore did not help.  So I checked the forum first of course, then I uninstalled, reinstalled, performed System Restore to various dates when it was working, removed all references to Premiere Elements from the registry (it leaves a lot behind) and reinstalled. I tried running the app directly from the exe. Nothing helped. Organizer runs fine, just not Editing.

Chat support (which BTW I discovered is not accessible if you use the MVP Hosts file) told me that there is a possibility that uninstalling and then reinstalling in Safe Mode (you need to run the Windows Installer service manually) might work.  But their real answer was to FORMAT and RELOAD Windows (and obviously every other piece of software you have and all your data!!!).

Haven't been back home to do this yet, but wanted to get this out to the community in case someone has this happen.  I will be back and let you all know if Safe Mode install worked.

I'm wondering if I should create a separate boot partition just for PE12 and Windows with no changes being made to it ever. Maybe that will keep any dll's from becoming corrupt.

• 1. Re: PE12 APPCRASH dvamarshal.dll
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Phaeton

Regarding

I'm wondering if I should create a separate boot partition just for PE12 and Windows with no changes being made to it ever. Maybe that will keep any dll's from becoming corrupt.

After you determine if Adobe Chat's troubleshooting worked for you, then, since you have its attention, you should really ask for it's opinion on the above.

We will be looking forward to your results.

Thanks for reporting on your experiences with dvamarshall.dll et al.

ATR

Add On....Did you see this April 2014 Adobe Premiere Elements Forum thread

Re: Premiere Elements 12 will not run after install

• 2. Re: PE12 APPCRASH dvamarshal.dll
            Phaeton Level 1

Saw that but his install would never run.  Mine ran fine for two weeks, then poof, gone! So I wanted to find out what happened in the middle of seemingly nowhere. And his problem was never solved, so I thought I'd give it a go. All Chat would say that is was a corruption with a dll file.  He couldn't/wouldn't tell me why replacing the dvamarshal.dll wasn't an option or why PE12 was so damn sensitive, just to try those two options.

Not sure I want to reformat and reload all my software and data in spite of how used to PE I am.  Also not even sure how to dual-boot Windows 7 on two different partitions!

• 3. Re: PE12 APPCRASH dvamarshal.dll
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Phaeton

Thanks for the reply. I understand your concerns.

Have you tried the classical steps, as just in case measures, in spite of the  Problem Signature data?

First...does the problem exist with or without the antivirus disabled?

1. Deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary, the whole 12.0 Folder in which it exists

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

2. If necessary...

a. If you can get into the program at any time, Help Menu/Sign Out (otherwise, skip this step)

b. Uninstall (Control Panel/Programs route)

c. free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts) to get rid of leftovers from incomplete installs and reinstalls.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

d. reinstall the program with the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

By the way, in order to work with MotionJPEG in Premiere Elements 12, did you have to download and install any codec packs that might be

contributing to the issue?

Sometimes unlikely suggestions hit the issue head on; sometimes not. Let us see.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: PE12 APPCRASH dvamarshal.dll
                Phaeton Level 1

I completely uninstalled the software, I went through the registry and hand deleted every reference to Elements. All folders and preferences were removed during the uninstall procedure. I reinstalled it and it still didn't work, even when I tried to run it from the PE Edit executable rather than the desktop icon.  I didn't install any codecs to deal with MJPEG so I guess PE has them built in now.

And the most important thing is that it worked fine for two weeks and then stopped.

• 5. Re: PE12 APPCRASH dvamarshal.dll
                  Phaeton Level 1

Well there's another hour+ I've put into this problem.  For the record, I uninstalled PE12 again, removed all folders related to PE12 from all places I could find (I did not bother to go through the registry this time), found out how to run an installation in Safe Mode, and reinstalled PE12 in Safe Mode with networking.

I rebooted and ran it from the icon on the desktop, and it wouldn't do anything until I signed in (even though that's not what the warning says...it says I have 7 days but oh well).  And when I signed in, I got the same exact crash message with the exception of the timestamp.

Which means my only option according to Adobe is format and reinstall Windows. Which will mean reinstalling about 25 separate pieces of software and all my data files just for this one issue.

Anyone have any experience running PE on a virtual Windows machine?  It's either that or figuring out how to dual boot, because I really don't think I have the patience to rebuild this box from the ground up.

• 6. Re: PE12 APPCRASH dvamarshal.dll
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Phaeton

Thanks for the follow ups.

Please remind me, have you assured that the antivirus and/or firewall(s) are not involved by looking at the issue with and without them disabled?

In search for dvamarshall.dll solutions, I came across

How To Fix Dvamarshal.dll is Missing / Not Found Error

My only experience with virtual machines and Premiere Elements 12/12.1 is related to

Windows XP Mode (virtual Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit) that was a free download with Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit.

Premiere Elements 12/12.1 works fine in that virtual system. However, since XP is 32 bit system, I had myself a 32 bit application for the Premiere Elements 12/12.1 installed on the 32 bit operating system.

ATR

• 7. Re: PE12 APPCRASH dvamarshal.dll
                      Phaeton Level 1

I did not disable my MS Security Essentials or Windows Firewall when I did the installation the first time and the installation and running of the software went fine.  In Safe Mode there is no AV running and Windows Firewall doesn't really do anything anyway.  The whole point is that the software ran fine for two weeks and then wouldn't run. AV and Firewall did not corrupt the dvamarshall.dll file which is removed on uninstall and reinstalled clean each time with no luck.

Going forward I will be deciding whether to try my hand at running PE12 in a virtual machine or getting another copy of Win 7 to load on a 2nd hard drive with only PE12 on it, and boot to that for video editing, saving all files and settings to one of my other drives.  I'll will report back here when I've figured out which I'm going to do.  I've never used VM before so that's an additional learning curve, whereas another copy of Win 7 is just money. One thing I will not be doing is formatting my HD and starting from scratch.

Thanks for checking in.

By the way, that solvusoft.com link seems like a complete BS site to me, trying to get you to download their exe file.  I think people should seriously stop posting that link in these forums unless you have had a problem and fixed it using their executable. Every page on that site has the exact same instructions and a link to an executable file. Does NOT seem legit to me.

• 8. Re: PE12 APPCRASH dvamarshal.dll
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Phaeton

Thanks for the update.

Sorry that the informational link on dvamarshal.dll that I found in a Google Search did not serve its purpose in helping you. Previously I had not seen any negative feedback on this link and had no problems with it with regard to my antivirus and spyware removal computer programs. But, I will look into the history of the web site.

These dvamarshal.dll matters are particularly troublesome especially when they fall into the class where the program has worked before but not now.

We will continue to watch for further developments.

Thanks you.

ATR