16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2014 11:14 AM by A.T. Romano

I cannot open mov file in elements11? ( the file is quite big 7,17GB)

Stine X

I cannot open mov file in elements11? (the file is quite big 7,17GB)

• 1. Re: I cannot open mov file in elements11? ( the file is quite big 7,17GB)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

stine x

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running on?

Top question...do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 11? Are you running QuickTime and

Premiere Elements 11 as Administrator? Please go to Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime and confirm that your program has the QuickTime presets.

And, please confirm the file size about 7 GB or 717 GB? What is the duration of this file?

What is the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video? Either from that information or other, we need to know

the properties of your source media beyond .mov file extension and file size.

Please describe your computer resources.

Do you get an error message associated with the cannot open situation?

What is your project preset? Are you working in the Expert workspace?

Let us start here, and then we can decide what next if necessary.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: I cannot open mov file in elements11? ( the file is quite big 7,17GB)
            Stine X Level 1

QickTime is 10.3 is that the latest? The file is 7,17 GB, the Camera is Cannon XA10, settings 1020x1080. Computer is I mac, OS X 10.9.4, Memory 24GB 1600 MHZ DDR3, I work in Expert workspace.

I do not get a message, the computer just hangs. (the little colorful wheel)

What is Administarator?

Where do i find the info about the duration?

I made a smaler file with the same camera/settings to see if it works, and that works just fine, must be the size then, right?

• 3. Re: I cannot open mov file in elements11? ( the file is quite big 7,17GB)
              Stine X Level 1

When I look at the HD I have 2,81TB memory left.

• 4. Re: I cannot open mov file in elements11? ( the file is quite big 7,17GB)
                A.T. Romano Level 7

stine x

Thanks for the reply with more information.

If you are using a Mac computer it probably came with QuickTime, and I assume that there is some sort of automatic updating on that going on.

As long as you can go to Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime and see QuickTime presets, you are OK in this regard.

From what you wrote your .mov file's file size is 7.17 GB (seven point seventeen gigabytes). I smaller files from the same camera with same format are OK and larger are not, that points to a computer resource issue.

a. How much installed RAM does your computer have? And that value would impact "physical memory" as well as "virtual memory". This could be an issue. But, if you write that your computer has 24 GB RAM installed. This does not seem a likely candidate for issue cause.

b. When you wrote "...the HD I have 2.81 TB memory" left, I think that you meant to write the you have 2.81 TB of free hard drive space left. That is different from physical memory. So, free hard drive space does not seem to be an issue.

How much of those seven GB can you get into a project with having a problem?

What is the maximum sized project that you can get into a project without issues?

When you run a program in a computer you do so using a User Account. There are different levels of User Accounts. Premiere Elements and QuickTime both require that you are using a User Account that has special privileges - Administrator type. Find out which type of User Account you are working from. Please determine if the following helps with the User Account matter.

http://www.maclife.com/article/columns/maclife_101_managing_user_accounts

Try to import your .mov with and without the antivirus disabled.

My immediate requests would be:

1. Run your computer through the ccleaner program to optimize it.

https://www.piriform.com/mac/ccleaner

2. Determine the duration of your 7.17 GB .mov clip. After you import it, right click its thumbnail in Project Assets, select Properties from the pop up, and then tell us what is has listed for duration.

3. Shoot some sample video of various progressively greater file size and duration and determine what the limit is before you run into problems with Premiere Elements where the file will no longer import.

Any questions on any of this or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: I cannot open mov file in elements11? ( the file is quite big 7,17GB)
                  Stine X Level 1

How do I do publish+share/computer/QickTime???

• 6. Re: I cannot open mov file in elements11? ( the file is quite big 7,17GB)
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Stine X

I was going to post some more in your thread when I saw your post numbered 5.

I suspect that you are overlooking the thin scroll bar to the right of the Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime. The QuickTime choice is toward the

bottom of the list, and you need to scroll to it to see it. If you do not, you think that there are only 3 choices Adobe Flash Video, MPEG, and AVCHD.

This the Windows version, but it should be the same as your Mac situation....

11-Mac.JPG

About the question that I was about to ask....please check the settings on your camera...there should not be a 1020 x 1080. Did you mean to type

1920 x 1080? That looks like a typing switch between the adjacent keys 9 and 0. I do that from time to time.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: I cannot open mov file in elements11? ( the file is quite big 7,17GB)
                      Stine X Level 1

Thank you for the picture, finally got it! So QuickTime checked-OK!

I can import the hole file to the project but it do not run for more than a couple of seconds before it hangs, just audio works. I cant touch any tools then it hangs.

I tried a 2,4GB file do not work.

Duration: what is a thumbnail? I do not get a pop up menu when I right click at the clip in project assets.

Yes 1920x1080

thank you!!!

• 9. Re: I cannot open mov file in elements11? ( the file is quite big 7,17GB)
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Stine X

File Duration....In Expert workspace Premiere Elements 11.

You should be able to get the file's duration in at least two places

1. Look underneath the thumbnail representation for the file in Project Assets.

In the screenshot, the duration for the CIMG3254.AVI file is given in a timecode format 00;01;16;20 (hours; minutes;seconds;frames). So the duration of the clip there is 1 minutes and 16 seconds and 20 frames. That 20 frames = about 0.7 seconds in a 30 frames per second set up). So, the duration would be 1 minutes and 16.7 seconds.

2, You get the same information if you right click the file in Project Assets, select Properties from the drop down menu, and the read the file's duration in the Properties Palette.

duaration-1.jpg

How does the footage compare between what worked and what did not work? Right now, we know that the 7 GB and 2.4 GB file size

does not work (performance dragged down). Did you have a chance to run the free ccleaner Mac?

Did you double check the antivirus program, if you have one, to determine if the problem disappears when you disable the antivirus?

ATR

• 10. Re: I cannot open mov file in elements11? ( the file is quite big 7,17GB)
                          Stine X Level 1

Thank you, I love when you send me pictures!!!

Duration is 24

I can't use the cleaner it says no support, can't do the buy version because I'm broke (I put all my money on a computer)

I do not have a antivirus program.

• 11. Re: I cannot open mov file in elements11? ( the file is quite big 7,17GB)
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Stine X

Good morning.

Is the duration 24 minutes or 24 seconds.

I have been trying to work with an Animation.mov file which is has only a 28 second duration but has a file size of 1.3 GB.

So, I do not want to take anything for granted with just 24 without knowing whether minutes or seconds.

Do not buy the ccleaner. The free version should work fine. The free ccleaner should come in a Mac and Windows version.

According the the listed compatibility at that web site...

Requires an Apple Mac running OS X 10.5 to 10.9 Mavericks

Is the no support be related to your "10.9.4 " instead of "10.9"? Please double check to make sure that you were dealing with the free

ccleaner Mac download.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: I cannot open mov file in elements11? ( the file is quite big 7,17GB)
                              Stine X Level 1

Hi, Good morning! (afternoon in sweden)

Total Duration 00:47:12:24 (On the 2,4GB file)

The computer is all new, do you really think I need to clean it?

• 13. Re: I cannot open mov file in elements11? ( the file is quite big 7,17GB)
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

StineX

That is just about 47 minutes 13 seconds duration for the 2.4 GB file. Does that still not work? Have you determine what the maximum size

file is that Premiere Elements will let you work with?

Do not do the ccleaner right now.

I am not sure where it would be on the Mac, but let us look for pile up of files. If you go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks, you should find the location for the Video Previews there. Do you find that on Mac? That is where is would be on Windows. Once you find out where the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder and its preview files are, see if there is a pile up of preview files there.

Do the same thing for conformed audio (cfa and pek files) that would be in the Media Cache Files Folder, presumed in the same area as the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews File Folder where the preview files are.

Then go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and its Media Cache Database area and click the Clean button to get rid of the conformed video files (.mcdb file extension).

Also, delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file

User\User Name\Library\Application Support\Adobe\Premiere Elements\12.0

Then let us see where we are with the issue. Right now, you can import the .mov but you cannot work with it on the Timeline.

ATR

• 14. Re: I cannot open mov file in elements11? ( the file is quite big 7,17GB)
                                  Stine X Level 1

Hello ATR!

I am forever grateful for you help and all time you put into this!!!!!!!!

I found the solution!

When I took the file from the camera I tried to take the memory card AVCHD and put it in to the computer and then open premiere and then go: Add Media/Videos from Flip ore Cameras (it says there AVCHD) But it could not find the source.

So I opened the file on the desktop and used save and saved the file, automatically it was saved as a mov. (and then tokk it from the desktop into premiere. Add media/Files and folders)

I realized an important clue, when the file was running before the computer got hung there was flashes of an all green screen now and then. I went to project settings and the frame size was 1440 x 1080 and Display format 25fps, the frame size was gray so I could not do anything there. But when I mark the same clip as I used when its laying on the desktop and then go: get info the clip has 1920x1080. (what I was thinking of was if the project settings was different then the file settings in the regard to fps, but the odd view of 1440 x 1080 made me realize that something was wrong with the file to begin with)

I am so sorry!!! When you asked me I looked at the clip on the desk top not in the project settings!!!

(you probably know this but I wright it for other users how might read this) I now realized that when I take the file from the AVCHD memory card I have to use Export 1080p. Not save!!! To save the file from the card to the desktop.

I can not tell you how sorry I am fore being an egghead! Thank you one million times for your patience and help getting my sense back into my head!

Best regards Stine

• 15. Re: I cannot open mov file in elements11? ( the file is quite big 7,17GB)
                                    Stine X Level 1

Can I give you points here? (and if how do I do that?)

• 16. Re: I cannot open mov file in elements11? ( the file is quite big 7,17GB)
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Stine X

You did a great job working through your import issue to a success. Great job.

We are glad that you found the way by way of the memory card to computer to Premiere Elements Add Media/Files and Folders/ when the Video Importer destination was not finding your memory card.

Further exploration on all this might involve checking out maximum supported file size for Mac versus Windows as well as maximum supported file size for the Video Importer. I will look into the latter and see what I can find on that. The results will be done on Windows since I do not have a Mac computer. Also, make sure that your project preset (set by you or the project) matches the properties of your source media).

For me, the important thing is that you are moving forward in your Premiere Elements Mac projects.

When you are the originator of the thread, you get to mark a reply as the correct answer by clicking on the correct answer tab associated with the reply that answered your question. That marking makes the thread to display  Answered at the top of the thread. It also gives points to the ID whose reply you marked correct. If you answer your own question and mark it correct, the thread is marked Answered but you as the thread originator do not get any points.

Best wishes

ATR