4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2014 10:53 AM by RjL190365

Windows 7 vs Windows 8.1

Vavrespa

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the process of building a fresh new PC, and was wondering if there any benchmarks or statistics as to whether Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 does things a little quicker. I remember there being some data showing that Windows 7 was a bit quicker at rendering videos with AE and PP when compared to Win 8, but I'm curious if 8.1 has changed that.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Windows 7 vs Windows 8.1
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Windows 8 is a pain changing and tameing it to get to resemble Windows 7, but once you get there it works just as well as 7.  I (Mr PPBM) cannot tell any difference.

There is one new feature of 8 that I am looking forward to using hopefully in the very near future, that is the built-in NVMe or Non-Volatile Memory Express capability.  "The NVM Express specification defines an optimized register interface, command set and feature set for PCI Express (PCIe®)-based Solid-State Drives (SSDs)."  Currently when you attach a SSD to your computer you set it up as a SATA ACHI device in your BIOS.  AHCI was designed for hard disk drives and is not efficient for SSD's.  Current SATA interfaced SSD have read/write rates of around 500 MB/second, Intel® Solid-State Drive Data Center Family for PCIe* that have read/write rates of up to 2800/2000 MB/second and capacities from 400 GB up to 2 TB.  For the fast 2 TB DC P3700 drive the price is $6,295!  Definitely not in my budget.  Samsung has recently shown another OEM Data Center oriented NVMe SSD the the SM953 and SM1715 that we are waiting on more data on price and availability outside the OEM environment. 

To get this kind of performance it is necessary to directly interface these devices to the PCie bus in the motherboard.  This is being done in three different ways that I know of currently.

1. Directly on a PCIe card, you may see the designation of HHHL, this means it is a half-height, half-length PCIe card.
          2. A standard 2.5" SSD package which has a new SATA Express connection like you find on the new Z97 motherboards and will be on the X99 motherboard for the Hasewell-E which will show up sometime in September
          3. A new smaller direct plug-in on the motherboard called the M.2 connector which is also on the new Z97 motherboards and in some of the new 4th generation Intel-based laptops.  The M.2 standard allows module widths of 12, 16, 22 and 30 mm, and lengths of 16, 26, 30, 38, 42, 60, 80 and 110 mm.  The space for this direct motherboard unit can vary and devices and spaces on the motherboard must be identical, you will see a designation like 22110 which is the width and length specification.

Do not forget that these devices all require PCIe lanes and for instance on the 4th generation Haswell chips there are only twenty lanes available so your 2 GPU system will most certainly only have x8 lanes for the two GPU's

So I guess to answer your windows 7 versus Windows 8 question my next build will be Windows 8 despite its new unwanted "features".

• 2. Re: Windows 7 vs Windows 8.1
            Vavrespa Level 1

Mr. Gehrke,

Thank you so much for your informative post! I, too, can't wait to see what the NVM Express capability has in store. Also, the fact that new feature support for Windows 7 will be ending in 2015 got me thinking for quite a while.

I'll be placing Windows 8 on my next system.

Kind Regards,

Michael

• 3. Re: Windows 7 vs Windows 8.1
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I now use Win7 and wife uses Win8.1 - and I build a new computer next week, so deciding on staying with Win7 or moving to Win8

Once past the tile screen (which may now be bypassed in 8.1 so startup goes directly to the traditional desktop) 8.1 looks/works just like the Win7 I now have... except, supposedly, better security

I'm going to have to start with Win7 on my new computer since the Win8 I have is the upgrade version, so by next Monday when big Newegg box arrives, or Tuesday by the time I'm ready to plug in the power for the first time, I will have to decide... since it would be time wasteful to install all the updates to Win7 since I got the install disc, and then install the Win8 upgrade and do all of those updates

Still thinking...

• 4. Re: Windows 7 vs Windows 8.1
                RjL190365 Level 4

John T Smith wrote:

{snip}the Win8 I have is the upgrade version{/snip}

All retail copies of Windows 8 (not 8.1) were upgrade copies; if you were to do a fresh install of Windows 8, you had to buy the System Builder copy of that OS. But starting with Windows 8.1, the System Builder/OEM licensing reverted to the Windows 7 policy, which means that you may install that OEM/System Builder copy on a PC that you intend to resell to another person but not on a PC that you intend to keep and use. For self-builders who use the very PCs that they built themselves, they must purchase the full retail version of Windows 8.1 (which, thankfully, did away with the upgrade-only copies and made the full version the only one available, for a relatively minimal price premium of $20 over the OEM price for plain Windows 8.1 - but a $50 to $60 price premium for Windows 8.1 Pro). The full version of Windows 8.1 can be used as a fresh installation (with no OS at all, or a version of Windows older than Windows 7, previously installed) or for an in-place upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 (subject to the following restrictions: Windows 7 Home Premium users may perform an in-place upgrade to either Windows 8.1 or Windows 8.1 Pro, while Windows 7 Professional users may only upgrade in-place to Windows 8.1 Pro - Windows 7 Pro users wanting to upgrade to plain Windows 8.1 must perform a clean install).

And either plain Windows 8.1 or Windows 8.1 Pro is suitable for a video editing rig: Plain Windows 8.1 now supports up to 128GB of RAM (versus only 16GB of RAM for Windows 7 Home Premium), while Windows 8.1 Pro now supports up to 512GB of RAM (up from 192GB for Windows 7 Professional).