7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2014 11:54 AM by ECBowen

New GPU Only or Complete Build?

alexdejesus Level 1

Sorry if this is a tired topic, but information that is over 3 months old is ancient to me. I was wondering if I might benefit from upgrading only my graphics card and thus hold off on a new build for a while. My current system:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU

Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz 43 °C

Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

RAM

32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (10-10-10-27)

Motherboard

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT (LGA1155) 37 °C

Graphics

1535MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Amp! (ZOTAC International) 44 °C

Storage

CACHE & PREVIEWS 111GB ATA KINGSTON SH100S3 SCSI Disk Device (SSD) 34 °C

OS DRIVE 238GB ATA Samsung SSD 840 SCSI Disk Device (SSD) 35 °C

CAPTURE STORAGE 16 TB Intel Raid 0 Volume SCSI Disk Device (4 x 4TB) 34 °C

DNxHD 220 Footage

DSLR Footage

AVCHD

Optical Blu-ray Drives

HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40 ATA Device

I was shooting HDV when I built this system, but am now shooting with a Canon EOS C100 and a 5D Mk III DSLR. I record DNxHD externally onto Atomos Ninja Blade.

Although this system seems pretty well balanced, I have never been able to do much more than basic editing with Premiere's real-time effects, since anything else (like Noise reducers, MB Looks and Red Giant effects) pretty much cripples my system playback, rendering, exporting. Even with HDV footage I was never satisfied with performance. I recently upgraded my storage from a 2-disk RAID 0 to a 4-disk 16 TB RAID 0, which seems to have helped transfer rates a little.

I wonder if the GTX 580 is defective.  It seems to run pretty hot under load at 60 degrees or more unless I boost fan speed to the max. I cannot change any GPU clocks speeds or other settings from default without the display crashing. That is why I am considering a new GPU. I plan to build or buy a new PC within the next year, anyway, but it would be great if a GPU could extend the life of this one.

As for a new complete built, I need to know if now is the time to do it. Or, is there some new motherboard/processor series on the horizon that I should wait for? The frustrating thing about these kinds of forum threads is that the information is quickly dated and obsolete.

• 1. Re: New GPU Only or Complete Build?
          RjL190365 Level 4

Alex,

Is your CPU at stock speed? Or, if overclocked, at which speed?

You see, some of the third-party effects that you listed offer little to no GPU acceleration support, and rely very heavily on the CPU.

• 2. Re: New GPU Only or Complete Build?
            alexdejesus Level 1

FROM SPECCY:

CPU

Intel Core i7 2600K

Cores 4

Threads 8

Name Intel Core i7 2600K

Code Name Sandy Bridge

Package Socket 1155 LGA

Technology 32nm

Specification Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz

Family 6

Extended Family 6

Model A

Extended Model 2A

Stepping 7

Revision D2

Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, Intel 64, NX, VMX, AES, AVX

Virtualization Supported, Disabled

Hyperthreading Supported, Enabled

Fan Speed 1666 RPM

Bus Speed 100.0 MHz

Stock Core Speed 3400 MHz

Stock Bus Speed 100 MHz

Average Temperature 70 °C

Caches

L1 Data Cache Size 4 x 32 KBytes

L1 Instructions Cache Size 4 x 32 KBytes

L2 Unified Cache Size 4 x 256 KBytes

L3 Unified Cache Size 8192 KBytes

Cores

Core 0

Core Speed 3799.1 MHz

Multiplier x 38.0

Bus Speed 100.0 MHz

Temperature 68 °C

Threads APIC ID: 0, 1

Core 1

Core Speed 3799.1 MHz

Multiplier x 38.0

Bus Speed 100.0 MHz

Temperature 72 °C

Threads APIC ID: 2, 3

Core 2

Core Speed 3799.1 MHz

Multiplier x 38.0

Bus Speed 100.0 MHz

Temperature 68 °C

Threads APIC ID: 4, 5

Core 3

Core Speed 3799.1 MHz

Multiplier x 38.0

Bus Speed 100.0 MHz

Temperature 73 °C

Threads APIC ID: 6, 7

• 3. Re: New GPU Only or Complete Build?
              RjL190365 Level 4

Alex,

Guess what? If you set the memory speed manually or use the XMP settings, the Asus motherboards will automatically overclock the CPU to its maximum Turbo speed by default even with all four cores in use. Thus, I consider that an overclock to 3.8GHz even if it's motherboard-induced rather than user-initiated.

On the other hand, had you left the memory settings to AUTO, then the CPU will operate at normal Turbo settings (in that case, with all four cores in use that would have been only 3.5GHz) - but the RAM will be set to operate at only 667MHz (DDR3-1333).

• 4. Re: New GPU Only or Complete Build?
                Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

You are not over clocked on the CPU.  That would be the biggest improvement that you can make with your system.  A new GPU would not make much if any change.   You are CPU bound.

What is ahead in computers!

In September Intel will release the new hex and octal core Haswell-E CPU's.  Simultaneously the motherboard vendors will release new X99 based motherboards.  This would be a really major improvement over your quad core.  Not only the CPU would be faster but the new motherboard will require the new faster DDR4 memory.  Also the I/O to disks (I am going to have to stop using the words "hard disk drives" as I may never be buying any more and I guess it will be storage devices or maybe just SSD's) is vastly improved over your motherboard.  All SATA interface are 6 Gb/sec and you will have 10Gb/second new additional interfaces.  Also see my info on future strorage

• 5. Re: New GPU Only or Complete Build?
                  alexdejesus Level 1

Yes, it is the auto XMP setting. I am not confident enough to tinker around with the individual clock settings. Maybe a tutorial would help. Same with the GPU. I tried changing the gpu clock and voltage settings and the display blanked out on me. The only thing I adjusted was the fan setting to a curve.

• 6. Re: New GPU Only or Complete Build?
                    alexdejesus Level 1

BIll, why do you say that I am not overclocked? I am set to XMP at 3.8 GHz

• 7. Re: New GPU Only or Complete Build?
                      ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

60C is not out of norm for the Nvidia GPU's especially the 500 series cards. Those GPU's are safe all the way into the 80C range and will often hit well into 60's under load. The fan profiles can effect that some but that looks normal here. Clocking the card up can definitely cause instability depending on bios settings and the PSU in the system. I don't know if a 760GTX4GB would make a big difference with the effects you list there but that would be the card to get with that system. That system wont push any of the 700 series cards above that. Your limitation at this point is really the CPU but that may atleast tide you over till your ready for a new system.

Eric

ADK