4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2014 10:20 PM by mikecox_

Can't get image to "open in" CC Ps6 always opens

mikecox_ Level 1

When I try to get a jpg file to "open in" Ps CC it opens in Ps6.

I have checked the shortcut I use to open CC and it is

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)

But the only EXE file in that folder opens Ps6; even though my shortcut; with the same target Opens CC

I don't get it

cc.jpg

• 1. Re: Can't get image to "open in" CC Ps6 always opens
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

On a windows system getting into the wrong version of Photoshop happens usually for one or other reason.  File association is only one.  If CS6 is open and you try to open CC or open and image in CC you will be thrown int the currently open running version of Photoshop.   Sometimes the default Photoshop association seem is a version other then you think it should be and you cant seem to get windows to change it to the version you want.  This seem to be caused by Window's registry entry for Photoshop.exe.  While each install version has an Photoshop.exe  which will start if the windows file association is Photoshop with no path or that a click or double click defaults to shell, open or edit . Start regedit and search for key Photoshop.exe you should see shell and commands make sure there what you want as default. Mine get messed up.  on was cs6 the othe cc. I made both be CC 2014

Capture.jpg

• 2. Re: Can't get image to "open in" CC Ps6 always opens
            mikecox_ Level 1

I'm  only casually acquainted with the registry; mostly I know to backup and be very careful.

I tried to get to the place in your screenshot but don't know where you started, so couldn't dig down to the place in your screenshot.

But when I get, and find Photoshop.exe, what should I do?

Photoshop CC doesn't have a unique file name; the name is the same in both Adobe/Photoshop/ and adpbe/Phototshop CC/

I assign the same path to the jpg extenuation; as I did for my shortcut, yet and click a jpg file PS6 opens.

I'm beginning to wonder why I need to even have PS6 on my machine; maybe deleting it would solve this problem.

• 3. Re: Can't get image to "open in" CC Ps6 always opens
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Highlight Computer use menu Edit>Find Check Key and match whole string enter Photoshop.exe as the search argument find and the expand the key check the shell commands open and edit. Like my previous screen capture.

Capture.jpg

• 4. Re: Can't get image to "open in" CC Ps6 always opens
                mikecox_ Level 1

Ok, that worked and I found the wrong path was set.  I changed it to Photoshop CC (64bit/ and now CC open when I click jpg files.

Thanks