6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2014 10:26 AM by BobLevine

Indesign Hyperlinking

osmdesigner

How can I disable shared hyperlinks? Shared hyperlinks do not work with DPS. Embedded links in Placed PDFs and placed InDesign files don't work in DPS either. it is ver time consuming to relink thinks that have already been linked or embedded before.

• 1. Re: Indesign Hyperlinking
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure what you're asking here. Placed PDFs and INDD files are treated

as static artwork and it's always been that way.

As for DPS, I never use hyperlinks. Buttons are a far better choice.

• 2. Re: Indesign Hyperlinking
            osmdesigner Level 1

I completely disagree.

When I export and PDF document with hyperlinks/buttons. I am able to export the links from embedded documents PDFs/indesign files as well as links from within the document. The resulting PDF file will have all the elements that were hyperlinked, are clickable, working and linking to somewhere. If i place a PDF or InDesign file I would like the link to work. DPS is more advanced than a PDF and the technology is there. Currently I have to draw ago over each and every link and do the hyperlinking that way. Very time consuming.

If shared hyperlinks are turned on they do not work in DPS. That is what i would call a bug. It shouldn't matter whether or not shared hyperlinks are on or off, they should work.

We ask clients to send us PDFs because they place so easily, file size is small and when exporting to PDFs hyperlinks still work even from the Placed PDF or InDesign file.

Buttons. Well if you have a 50 or more links, frankly buttons are not the solution. I have tried them and they have not worked. I ended up going back and using hyperlinks because they did work. Buttons may be good for a few interactions but not large bodies of text in large documents, not a good option.

What I am looking is 2 things.

• The ability for InDesign to be able use embedded links from placed Indesign files and PDFs
            • If shared hyperlinks are turned on that they still work in DPS. It shouldn't matter whether or not shared hyperlinks are on or off, they should work.
            • 4. Re: Indesign Hyperlinking

BTW, the only way those links are working in PDF because they are automatically being picked up and converted by Acrobat or Reader.

• 5. Re: Indesign Hyperlinking
                osmdesigner Level 1

I am simply asking that DPS pick up those same links. When we place text. Links are picked up automatically from placed word docs, things like this have to work from beginning to end. Thank you for the link above.

• 6. Re: Indesign Hyperlinking

It would be a great feature but you need to keep in mind that DPS depends on InDesign features, not the other way around.

InDesign, as already pointed out, does nothing with those place files but treat them as static artwork. It’s Acrobat or Reader that is picking them up and converting them. And that is a user preference.

While you may see them, not every one of those links will be converted and there’s no way to assure that your readers are seeing them.