3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2014 10:00 AM by D.A.R

How do I import photos from iPhoto to lightroom?

Serol

IiPhoto events to lightroom

• 1. Re: How do I import photos from iPhoto to lightroom?
          D.A.R Adobe Community Professional

To simply import the original files is quite a simple process.

Locate the iPhoto Library (default is your Pictures Folder). Right click on it and select "Show Package Contents".

Locate the Masters folder and drag it onto the Lightroom icon or an open Library window. This will invoke the Import command.

Be sure "Include Subfolders" is checked.

Now you can import all the original files.

If your goal is to maintain structure of the Events it gets a little more tedious. Drag the event onto the Lightroom icon or the Library window. Once imported you can group them into a Collection Name that mimics the Event.

Repeat with other events.

With the impending demise of iPhoto and Aperture, I suspect Apple may be working with Adobe to develop an automated process that will also maintain metadata that was added in those programs. If you can wait a while, it may be worth it.

• 2. Re: How do I import photos from iPhoto to lightroom?
            john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

David Rogers wrote:

With the impending demise of iPhoto and Aperture, I suspect Apple may be working with Adobe to develop an automated process that will also maintain metadata that was added in those programs. If you can wait a while, it may be worth it.

The initial obituary from Apple's PR suggested this possibility, but the comment was quickly withdrawn. Apple say the migration path will be to their Photos app.

However, when LR4 was released, a publisher mistakenly put online a book extract describing an LR4 import menu command which converted Aperture and iPhoto libraries. In fact the tool never made it into Lr4, but Aperture and iPhoto haven’t changed much and it would now seem less controversial for Adobe to revive it.

John

• 3. Re: How do I import photos from iPhoto to lightroom?
              D.A.R Adobe Community Professional

Good to know. Thank you John.