3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2014 8:54 PM by JimHess

Droplets vs Export as Original?

jonathanpphoto

hey friends.

I'm fairly new to lightroom but have been using photoshop for a while now...

this is my question:

i want to use photoshop actions on my lightroom edited photos.

i have read about, and used to some extent droplets...writing action sets in photoshop and then creating a droplet and running that through the LR export dialog...however, i just can't seem to get it to work flawlessly.

i guess my question is...as i understand it, the export dialog creates a jpg and then opens this jpg in photoshop and runs the action. then resaves it as a jpg. if i understand this process, wouldn't that degrade the overall quality of the end result jpg?

would a better option, to maintain the highest quality, be to export as original from LR and then run the image processor with my actions from bridge/PS?

• 1. Re: Droplets vs Export as Original?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The export dialogue does not automatically create a JPEG image. You can choose JPEG, TIF, PSD, 8-bit, 16-bit, increase/decrease size, etc. And, it's possible to export raw files as original. Essentially that is just a copy routine. So you can export your images as 16-bit TIF files, and then let your droplet do whatever you need done on that TIF file. Then, the droplet could save the result in what ever format you need.

• 2. Re: Droplets vs Export as Original?
            jonathanpphoto Level 1

hey jim

i totally get what you're saying...i guess i didn't think about it that way...

i was exporting a jpeg from lightroom first...i'm so used to the way the image processor works in PS.

if i was to export as a tiff and then run the droplet, it would save the tiff (straight from LR) and then as a jpg (from photoshop using my action set)...correct?

so, essentially, it would give me a similar result as if i exported originals from LR and then used the image processor in PS to create jpgs?

• 3. Re: Droplets vs Export as Original?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, if you export a TIF file from Lightroom and then let the droplet pickup that TIF and do Photoshop processing then you can save whatever file format you need from Photoshop. And, of course the TIF will have higher quality than the JPEG image would, especially if you export it from Lightroom as a 16-bit file. You can then process this 16-bit file in Photoshop and convert it to 8-bit before you save it from Photoshop.