39 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2016 3:56 PM by Szalam

After Effects warning: An invalid track index

ChrisVarner28405 Level 1

Hello, I am running CC 2014 on Windows 7.

I have a project with a significant amount of basic animation (just 2D scale and position keyframing), and while working on adding sound effects, I keep getting this error when I try to RAM preview: "After Effects: BE: An invalid track index has been added to the sequence."

If I hit ok, the preview plays, but with no audio.

Any ideas what to do? I've tried clicking tracks on and off, and it does help, but very inconsistantly to where I can't pin point the source of the problem. There's one track that when turned on, I do NOT get the error, and when turned off, or deleted, I DO get the error. This just baffles me.

Thanks for any help-- I'm on a tight deadline and really need to work through this ASAP.

• 1. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're under a tight deadline, don't take the time to troubleshoot! Just render out your video into an intermediate file and use Premiere to add your sound effects. After Effects has never been good at audio work anyway. I always use Premiere to add sound.

• 2. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
            thefuzie Level 1

Did you create the composition from "replace with AE composition" within Premiere?

I did. Mine uses several subclips of the same video. I find I get this error when I change the order of my layers. When I change it back, the error goes away.

My gut says it's a bug where rearranging a certain type of layer or some combo of layers causes some sort of mismatch with imported data. Or, it could quite possibly be me not understanding that I need to also move something else.

In any case.. putting the layer back in its original order gets rid of the error for me, and it is not affecting the project at hand for it to reside there. Moving on toward my deadline. Hope that helps you or someone in the future!

• 3. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
              mr. flow Level 1

I'm having the same issue.

I have 49 audio tracks, 2 of them with time remapping, as soon as I want to playback them all at once the error occurs, when I disable the time remapped layers it works.

I'm on a Mac, OSX 10.9.4, AE CC 2014.0.2, all of the audio tracks are .mp3s

EDIT: strangely, when I delete the time-remapped layers and put another one (not time remapped) in approx. the same position the error occurs again.

Also scrubbing through the timeline while pressing Cmd plays everything, only the RAM preview gives the error.

• 4. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                y0ttabyte Level 1

AE CC 2014 has given me all sorts of audio trouble. I just had this problem with a track I added in on top of some existing ones, and there were some weird bugs happening. I just precomped, deleted, re-imported, and basically messed around with it till I re-routed whatever bug was happening. Not that that's the best fix I'm waiting for Adobe to provide a fix.

• 5. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                  JuanPais Level 1

Same problem here, problem solved precomposing sounds...

• 6. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                    Bo vellum Level 1

I ran into this same problem and have an idea of what it might be, plus the two different things I did to get around the bug.  I am also up to date with CC and had never had anything like this happen before.

I was working in an existing project that a client wanted updated with replacement slides and audio.  I have worked with dozens of audio files within AE projects before with as many as 300 additional layers of video footage, images and animations - no problems.  When he gave me the new files and I began inserting them everything was fine up until a point where I started getting the error and I would have to completely restart AE.  Reading this thread I found success in pre-composing all audio files but for the sake of being able to edit without the error message and freezing, I was able to keep working when I disabled all audio tracks other than the one or two currently in my work area.  I am guessing that just soloing would work too.

What I noticed that might be different about this project was that I was using a mix of both wav and mp3 files, with multiple layers of each.  So maybe AE is getting confused with the formats but only when having to work with several layers of each?  I do not specifically recall if I have used a mix of the two formats in the past but I always make it a point to work only with wav.  What I do know is that I never had a problem like this until the most recent CC update for AE.

• 7. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                      Amy_KLG Level 1

I've noticed the same issue as well since Adobe's latest "updates." I think telling someone to just use Premiere is not cool. Adobe products should work regardless. Don't we spend enough money on these programs? Anywho.... I hope that Adobe comes out with an update soon to fix this issue. It's quite annoying having to restart your program 10 times a day!

• 8. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                        Dave LaRonde Level 6

You have two, and perhaps three, problems going on:

1) Don't use mp3 audio in AE.  Just don't.  It has NEVER worked properly, and problems rear their ugly heads only intermittently... like when you time-remap it.  Convert mp3's to lossless audio files like wav or aiff.

2) Don't Time Remap audio and expect it to work properly when you render.  It's better to export out the time-remapped audio as a wav or aiff, reimport and use the new audio clip when rendering.  Or just export it and use it in a video editing application along with your animations from AE.

3) FORTY-NINE layers of audio?  That's crazy in AE!  AE stinks at audio!  It's Hell On Earth to mix all those tracks in AE!

I bet you can find a different application to put all those tracks together with the video.  I bet you can figure out an alternate workflow.  And you should.  The best way to use audio in AE is as a reference for timing your animations.  I use that strategy when I'm working on my stuff, and when I render, I don't render an audio track... not even when it's lip-sync audio!  I match up everything in a video editing application, and I have never, EVER had a problem.  Not once.  You can find a different application for that audio work -- now go find it.

• 9. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                          ShengeBana Level 1

Today I got the same problem!
                          Strangely, it comes for like 10 RAM previews and then goes away for 5 RAM previews and then comes again. Sometimes it freezes, sometimes pops up the message.

I got 10 AVI and MOV clips which are joined. I don't think this problem is mp3 only. However, I changed +- dB in two clips.

Hope it will be fixed soon.

Win 7 ultimate 64 bit

intel i5 2500k
                          8gb ram

Nvidia geforce gtx 550 ti

• 10. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                            Ilovegrafix Level 1

ChrisVarner28405 wrote:

Hello, I am running CC 2014 on Windows 7.

I have a project with a significant amount of basic animation (just 2D scale and position keyframing), and while working on adding sound effects, I keep getting this error when I try to RAM preview: "After Effects: BE: An invalid track index has been added to the sequence."

If I hit ok, the preview plays, but with no audio.

Any ideas what to do? I've tried clicking tracks on and off, and it does help, but very inconsistantly to where I can't pin point the source of the problem. There's one track that when turned on, I do NOT get the error, and when turned off, or deleted, I DO get the error. This just baffles me.

Thanks for any help-- I'm on a tight deadline and really need to work through this ASAP.

Literally just deleting the track and replacing it worked for me.

• 11. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                              Bo vellum Level 1

Try pre-composing all of your audio into one layer.  Are you using a mix of audio formats or just one?

• 12. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                Dave LaRonde Level 6

Oh, for Heaven's Sake.

Doesn't anybody get it?  Don't use AE for adding sound effects!  AE stinks at audio!  It always has!  Find a different workflow, or suffer the frustration!  Geez!

End of sermon.

• 13. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                  Bo vellum Level 1

I totally agree Dave except for my recent project that made it ridiculously difficult to produce the audio in Audition first.  Otherwise I always produce the audio elsewhere and plug it in.

• 14. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

Well, there's always Premiere Pro for adding sound effects.  You're not limited to Audition.  Even if you've done something funky like time-remapped audio in AE, there's nothing that says you can't export the time-remapped audio only, then sync it back up again in PP, and life is good.  And it's easy.  I like easy.

• 15. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                      Amy_KLG Level 1

Hey all,

I recently had this problem too and it was MADDENING! Yes, I get it, don't use AE for audio... well... since there's an option to use audio in AE, I think one should be able to use it!

Bo - after putting up with it not working and crashing every five minutes, I decided to give it a try in Premiere. It was a bit cumbersome because my company hasn't gotten me the best computer for video yet, but I thought I should give it a try anyway since that's what everyone says to do. Well, after about five minutes, I decided to go back to AE for principal. It did end up working in the end and the errors went away. What I had to do was delete the audio from the timeline though and freshly replace it. Don't do a swap as that won't work.

One other thing that may have helped - I had some clips that I got off a 3rd party website that I was incorporating into the video that had sound. I went ahead and striped the audio from that file (since I wasn't using it anyway).

It's annoying, but I think that once this starts happening from the first error - delete your audio and drag it back. I hope this helps and it just wasn't a fluke for me!

Peace.

• 16. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                        Dave LaRonde Level 6

Amy_KLG wrote:

well... since there's an option to use audio in AE, I think one should be able to use it!

I understand the sentiment, but totally disagree with the implication.

Here's an analogy: using AE to do audio work of any complexity is like using a teaspoon to dig a trench.

You don't use a teaspoon to dig a trench, you use a shovel... better still, a backhoe if the job calls for it.

Use the right tool for the job -- and in almost every circumstance, AE is not the right tool for audio.

• 17. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                          Amy_KLG Level 1

I get it Dave. Really, I do!

I think for smaller 2 min videos though, it's just easier to keep all the assets in one place. For larger videos, I always use Premiere for the audio for the obvious reasons.

That's also why we should create large vector files in AI rather than INDD. It's so true... use the right program for the right job!

• 18. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                            Dave LaRonde Level 6

I almost never use AE for audio, and longest thing I usually make is a 30-second spot! 

Using it for a 2-minute video?  Nope.  Wouldn't think of doing it, not even for a split second.

I'll use audio in AE for three reasons:

1) for reference to time out visual effects -- that's the overwhelming, 99%-of-the-time reason.  When render time comes, I don't render out the audio,  and that includes lip-sync audio.  It always exists in a different application, like a video editor.  I have NEVER -- NOT EVER -- had any problems.  Never.

2) to Time-Remap audio.  When it's right, the audio gets exported into another application to re-sync to the video for good.

3) to use AE's Reverb effect.  It's REALLY easy to get just the sound I want quickly!   Love it!  Needless to say, I export the audio right away when I'm done.

You use AE to create VIDEO... video you can't easily make in a different application.  Its audio virtues are pitiful.

• 19. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                              Ilovegrafix Level 1

I'm curious to know your workflow when the audio is ttedious to the visual effects for instance lyric videos for artist which are a huge rising trend these days with huge celebrities pumping these out instead of actual music videos.  http://youtu.be/P3rtWEk9Ufo

• 20. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                                Dave LaRonde Level 6

Import the music into a video editor.  Cut all video necessary in the video editor.  Export -- or Dynamic link, if you choose --  the video & audio into AE.  If I have multiple layers of video in the editor, I might also export (or Dynamic Link if I can do it) a B-Roll, C-Roll, etc. Do the effects work in AE.  Render VIDEO ONLY (or video/audio if you're nervous) out of AE.

Got no video?  Import the music & stills you need into AE, and proceed in AE as above.

Import the new video back into the video editor.  Add sound effects where necessary to enhance the animation (people try to do this in AE -- BAD IDEA).

Now set up for the export for the final delivery file and have at it.

I use AE for EFFECTS WORK.  It's not an editing application.  Editing applications are editing applications.

• 21. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                                  Ilovegrafix Level 1

WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY over complicated, did you even watch the video? it shouldnt take more then a couple hours to do something like that, with your process it would take days.

• 22. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

Um, did you even READ what I wrote?  No video?  Skip a lot of it!  And if it takes you DAYS to add sound effects in PP, you need to go back to Adobe Premiere Pro School.  PP's a whole lot facter than AE for the simple stuff, bud.

• 23. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                                      Ilovegrafix Level 1

What sound effects are you even talking about?its over a song not sound effects

• 24. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index

I would likely have my audio in After Effects for a lyric video. I would use the . key on the numeric keypad to hear the snippets I needed to get my animation timed to it. I wouldn't necessarily render the audio out of AE, but it would be useful for timing things.

• 25. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                                          Dave LaRonde Level 6

You mean you've never added sound effects to enhance the impact of the animated graphics?  Really?  Why not?  Too much work?

• 26. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                                            Ilovegrafix Level 1

sure but thats not what i asked you, did you miss the question? does it need to be in bold for you? asked about a specific scenario

• 27. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                                              Ilovegrafix Level 1

now there is a logical response! old timer laronde could learn a thing or 2 from you

• 28. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                                                Dave LaRonde Level 6

I would have added sound effects, you see.  Any high school kid can animate text.

• 29. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                                                  Ilovegrafix Level 1

lol and it takes... ahem a "seasoned" gentlemen like yourself to drop a sound byte in a timeline?

• 30. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                                                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

No, just use it for reference and render away without using the audio.  Did it just this afternoon.  Worked perfectly.

• 31. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                                                      Ilovegrafix Level 1

sigh... still COMPLETELY missing the point... Shame. Well Good on you Sir, good on you.

• 32. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                                                        Dave LaRonde Level 6

....which is how I would use it, too.  You don't do complicated audio work in AE.  You get burned if you do.

• 33. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                                                          Bo vellum Level 1

I think what is trying to be said is that if AE provides a functionality for audio, it merely needs to be able to do it properly, no matter the amount of files or their manipulations. It is basic AE functionality to be able to split tracks, use multiple tracks, modify time and control volume, so these functions should always work whether or not it is an audio focused platform.  I have only had one contract where I needed to do all of the above for the sake of the other elements in the project because Audition is where I prep all of my sound.  If not, then AE  should have a limit with a pop-up or something like it does in other situations where you are not allowed to do things.

• 34. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                                                            Dave LaRonde Level 6

I agree with what you write, but two thoughts arise.

First, consider compressed audio.  Sure, Adobe says it can handle it, but no one in their right mind uses it.  It's just too much of a crap shoot in the end: too many bad outcomes.  Not exactly a ringing endosement for AE's other audio capabilities.

Second, it's just so cumbersome to use audio properly in AE -- it's a right royal pain!  My heart goes out to those who have no other choice but to use it.

• 35. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                                                              Bo vellum Level 1

LOL! Great comment there, Dave.  The one time I have had to do this was on a project that the client wanted to go back and modify things in such a way that the faster way was inside AE.  So, NO, some clients are not in their "right minds" and sometimes they have us scratching our WTF heads and cornered with limited options.   

• 36. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                                                                rez1n Level 1

In previous versions of AE we didn't have this bug... come on Adobe you have to fix this.

• 37. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                                                                  sparkiemarkie Level 1

I got hit with the same problem too. The problem started when I added time remapping to an audio layer of a video. I either got your error message or it just hanged when I did an audio preview (pressed Del key).

THE SOLUTION: I saved the project back to version 12 and used the non 2014 version that was still installed. The audio preview immediately started working.

So, won't be using After Effects CC 2014 for now!! Have to say AE CC 2014 looked a bit weird, e.g. no arrow buttons on the scroll bars and the smart deep yellow on certain controls replaced with an ugly blue. I'm on Windows 7 64 bit.

I think Adobe is dropping the ball a bit. Very poor. At least they allow you to save your project back to a previous version!

1 person found this helpful
                                                                                  • 38. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index
                                                                                    I always find a way Level 1

if no ones helped you with this i have a solution!!!! after hearing Dave's bull negativity here is the answer. keep the audio files exactly where they are and just pre-compose. I know it sounds too easy but I make 4 minute videos with a crap load of sound. dave what did you say 49 is too much well i have well over 200 sound fx/music and it comes out amazing plus massive effects. I agree with you though dave that after effects cc isn't the idea for sound editing but just as long as you know how to properly render it out it will come out amazing.

1 person found this helpful
                                                                                    • 39. Re: After Effects warning: An invalid track index

CC 2015.3 does a much better job with audio previews. This page explains some about it.