2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2014 6:09 AM by abelcher1987

Thumbnails loading extremely slowly while browsing files within InDesign

abelcher1987 Level 1

Hi there!  I work for a newspaper/magazine and have been experiencing various issues with InDesign.  I use InDesign 5.5 on an (all-in-one) iMac with Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63).  My system – processor: has a 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i5; memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3; graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB.

Here's the main issue I'm experiencing:

While browsing for files within InDesign, I am experiencing a significant amount of lag while the thumbnail preview loads.  The larger the file, the larger the preview.  This happens on only my computer — and even when I am exporting files I experience this lag.

Since day one I've been having this issue.  I have disabled all thumbnails in Finder, and prefer to browse for files in the column layout — it is the fastest way for me to work. So why is InDesign still loading those previews?

My question: is there a way I can disable the automatic loading of those mini thumbnails while browsing within InDesign (or any other Creative Suite product I use)?

Finding a solution would incredibly speed up my workflow.  We use a very specific naming system here, and if I do need to browse by thumbnail, I take my chances and use Bridge.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!