6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2014 3:13 PM by areohbee

Imported RAW files corrupted but JPEG ok. Will this be ok in my library?

Sandoise

One of three of my SD cards imported about 10% of its RAW files with great chunks missing. I actually saved the folder onto external hard drive before trying to import with LR, and I CAN see quite normal RAW file images using iPhoto, but the same images are still fragmented when I import them directly from the external hard drive. 

EXcuse use my ignorance, but can I import the jpeg images using Lightroom's DNG copy option (so that they are more stable); and will I be able to use them, and work on them, just as effectively as with all the successfully downloaded RAW images?

OR do I have to go back to Iceland for these 100 photos?!

Thanks, Sandoise

• 1. Re: Imported RAW files corrupted but JPEG ok. Will this be ok in my library?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No, saving JPEG files as DNG will not make the data raw image data. I would just import the JPEG images and do what you can to them. Lightroom does a good job on JPEG files as long as they are reasonably well exposed. Was the card damaged? What seemed to cause the problem with your raw files? In the relatively distant past I have seen where a few have converted their JPEG files to DNG because they wanted to have a single file format. I don't know if even that accomplishes anything as far as Lightroom is concerned. And I have never tried it. I can't see any benefit to doing so because the camera settings have already been permanently attached to the JPEG file.

• 2. Re: Imported RAW files corrupted but JPEG ok. Will this be ok in my library?
            areohbee Level 5

Sandoise wrote:

do I have to go back to Iceland for these 100 photos?!

If the raw photos are corrupt on the card, beyond all recognition, and beyond repair, (typically due to bad card, but that's not the only possibility), then you'll have to process the jpegs instead, if they are OK. If jpegs aren't OK either, then yes - back to Iceland you go..

I would definitely double-check it's a bad card (or in any case, check that the raws are terminally bad on the card), and not just a flaky reader etc.. - there may even be some way to recover slightly corrupted raws, but I don't know how, or even if possible.

• 3. Re: Imported RAW files corrupted but JPEG ok. Will this be ok in my library?
              Sandoise Level 1

Thank you, I will just use the jpegs. Will I be able to manipulate them and use them without suffering too much data loss?  I took all images in RAW AND Jpeg (thankfully) And have 1.5 - 3.0Mb JPEGs generally.

IT is strange that when I use iPhoto, on my brother's computer, I can see both JPEG AND RAW images perfectly well (I.e. There is NO indication of corrupted data) but sure as eggs after importing them, there were the great missing chunks again (on the RAW images only)!

• 4. Re: Imported RAW files corrupted but JPEG ok. Will this be ok in my library?
                areohbee Level 5

Sandoise wrote:

I will just use the jpegs. Will I be able to manipulate them and use them without suffering too much data loss?

Lightroom does a stellar job with jpegs too. Of course you don't have the same latitude as with raws, thus the reason we shoot raw.

I would just want to make sure the problem is the card, so you don't go throwing out your babies without checking whether their bath water is dirty, so to speak.

If you must develop the jpegs instead of the raws, I recommend being grateful you didn't lose them too, and forge ahead.. .

PS - it's not uncommon for the jpeg preview to be OK and the raw data to not be OK, which would explain what you've seen, but I still think it's worth a little double-checking (that the raw data is corrupt on the card, and it's not just a reader problem..).

Cheers,

Rob

• 5. Re: Imported RAW files corrupted but JPEG ok. Will this be ok in my library?
                  Sandoise Level 1

I have in a sense checked the SD card three times. First, looking at images on the camera screen, they look good (are you seeing the RAW or the JPEG?). Secondly, I can see both RAW and JPEGS in iPhotos and they look perfectly good. Lightroom is the third way I've checked it and the only one to find fault.

How else can I check the card?

• 6. Re: Imported RAW files corrupted but JPEG ok. Will this be ok in my library?
                    areohbee Level 5

Sandoise wrote:

looking at images on the camera screen

That does not verify raw data, only embedded jpeg preview, which you already know is OK.

Sandoise wrote:

I can see both RAW and JPEGS in iPhotos and they look perfectly good.

Well, seeing them in iPhotos does not mean raw data is good - it may also be showing just the embedded jpeg preview, which doesn't count.

Sandoise wrote:

Lightroom is the third way I've checked

Lightroom is for sure showing the raw (re-rendered) data, so it's the one to use to judge raw data integrity, as read by OS, from card, through your reader...

Sandoise wrote:

How else can I check the card?

It's "impossible" to tell whether problem is card or reader, unless you try a few different readers. Try a few different ports and a couple different systems too if you can, to rule out system/port/reader possibilities. If raw data is bad no matter which system, which port, which reader you use - it's bad on the card. You still won't know for sure whether the card is bad or the camera is bad, or something else happened.., but bad card is the most likely..